Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: GIJCC: 2016 12-inch Membership Incentive Figure!

Captain Matthew.stoops@wmich.edu's Avatar
    Perhaps an additional accessory set in the future? "Hand-Copter Rescue" or something...

I sit next to a 3D printer at work. It's not mine but I've seen it make a lot of neat stuff. That being said I don't think a 3D printed item would be "production quality" piece you'd want for your collection but, perhaps you could model and print a part and use it to create tooling cheaper than it typically costs.

My understanding on the tooling is that is basically a block of metal that usually needs some kind of manufacturing process done to it. Then it needs to be polished to aid in releasing the parts after they are molded. In my experience, polishing a part is pretty expensive. I'm not sure if 3D printing a part would necessarily help anything other than save some time for sculpting the initial piece, but who knows.
    Last edited by arock1922@yahoo.com; 07-22-2015 at 09:06 PM.

Private First Class sf49ersphan@aol.com's Avatar
    You familiar with Joe fan Sean Huxter? He recently had some items for sale featured as AT sets at Cotswold Collectibles that were 3d printed that were much more intricate than the 2 piece hand copter. I'd also guess the flight pod they just put on sale was made the same way. Again I'm no expert but I've seen stuff more complicated that I'd put next to Hasbro stuff with no problem.
    Last edited by sf49ersphan@aol.com; 07-23-2015 at 02:17 PM.

Corporal
    Maybe the Club will release an official Updated Secret Mountain Outpost ( I have an unofficial one on my page)....And if the club makes the Secret Mountain Outpost it can include the hand copter, Just a thought........

Junior Member rene_bernier@yahoo.com's Avatar
    While Mike Power was after my time, I really like this rendition. The sculpt and body look fine and the accessories look great. I wonder if the blades from the AT copter might work in a pinch. Have few of those left over from the Black Spider repro set.

This looks cool. Any chance we can get a 3-3/4" version for one of the FSS? - Thinking this head scaled down with a B.A.T. arm cast clear with the Kwinn Body would look great.

If not for the FSS, maybe you could release a 40th anniversary AT 5 - Pack with Mike, Human Bullet, Land Adventurer and Maybe 2 Intruders, one in silver and one in gold, using either a MU hulk body or the Big Boa body.

The figure looks great. I like the LED eye feature. I do have a suggestion before production begins. Have you considered making his right hand & both of his feet in clear plastic? It never made sense to me that he would have "a glove & footies" to cover his hand & feet. These are also "ATOMIC" & should therefore look the part. I think it would be just the extra touch that would put this figure over the top.

Quote Originally Posted by greasepaint@ameritech.net View Post
    The figure looks great. I like the LED eye feature. I do have a suggestion before production begins. Have you considered making his right hand & both of his feet in clear plastic? It never made sense to me that he would have "a glove & footies" to cover his hand & feet. These are also "ATOMIC" & should therefore look the part. I think it would be just the extra touch that would put this figure over the top.
    The Clear Plastic may not be flexible enough to do the hands with.

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew.stoops@wmich.edu View Post
    The Clear Plastic may not be flexible enough to do the hands with.
    I think if they can do a glow-in-the dark hand, they can do a clear hand or a silver one. It's just a matter of the right plastic being used.

Silver had crossed my mind.

Besides, had you thought of the possibility of Dr. Power having rubber "grips" on his hands and feet? They're there so he can run barefoot, and hold on to things that would otherwise slip out of his hand. His arms and legs themselves aren't covered in rubber for easy maintenance.

And if he's wearing pants and a long sleeved shirt, his "atomic" limbs would be covered up, hiding his secret.