Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: GIJCC: 2016 12-inch Membership Incentive Figure!

Will the clear plastic parts on these turn a sick sticky yellow after a couple of years like the clear shots from ten years ago did..?

Captain Matthew.stoops@wmich.edu's Avatar
    Will the clear plastic parts on these turn a sick sticky yellow after a couple of years like the clear shots from ten years ago did..?
    That's the radiation doing that.

Corporal
    There is one thing I would like to address....The "Atomic Limbs" Will there be any robotic parts, or will these just be clear?.....The original had what looks like grey parts inside I understand the cost issues and all but as some have also stated Mike is missing his signature Helicopter, so does that mean his wrist won't have the built in dial?......Just asking, I am still excited but these are good questions as a fan myself, I'm asking what a lot of fans have asked. we just would like further insight. Maybe to cut down on costs maybe an atomic decal that looks like circuitry affixed to those parts.
    Last edited by tkallspark@yahoo.com; 07-22-2015 at 08:55 AM.

Private First Class
    I may be getting crazy in my old age, but I'm really starting to like these 12 inch guys...

http://www.vintage3djoes.com/secret-...n-outpost.html

I have two memberships and have gotten both 3.75 inch figures each time... now I'm thinking I might do one of each.

Private First Class
    Unfortunately that is likely to be a yes - that's is what sunlight does to clear plastic - it yellows it. Look at the headlights of older cars - most of them start to yellow.

On the plus side it depends on exposure. If you don't place the figure in direct sunlight the effects will be minimized. I have an original Mike Power from the 70's and his limbs a pretty clear - not perfect, but better than most.

We appreciate your feedback but the copter accessory would have to be a retool as would inserts for the legs. These details are cost prohibitive, but we are looking at options for the future.

Unfortunately that is likely to be a yes - that's is what sunlight does to clear plastic - it yellows it. Look at the headlights of older cars - most of them start to yellow.

On the plus side it depends on exposure. If you don't place the figure in direct sunlight the effects will be minimized. I have an original Mike Power from the 70's and his limbs a pretty clear - not perfect, but better than most.
    I'm asking the club staff about the plastic used. I have many clear toys that are not yellow. The toys that the club made in 1997 had a huge problem of turning yellow. Its been discussed here on the boards extensively. Unfortunately those posts seem to be on the old forum from here and arent up anymore. So I cant put a link. This isnt just a case of everything clear turning yellow as a matter of course. I have other clear toys that are older than the Gi Joe figures from the club and they are still clear. The clubs toys turned a really dark shade of yellow really fast. They got all sticky and tacky too. There was a GI jane and a vintage style Joe and a modern body Joe that were made and they had clear accessories. I can post pics if you dont believe me, I still have them. Then I can also put pics of the many other clear toys that I own. All I wanted to know was whether the club had decided to go with a better grade of plastic this time.

As an example, Hasbro makes those $250 R2-D2 droids that are robots and you can order them around using your voice. On the earliest models ten years ago they used a cheap white plastic. It caused major yellowing issues on all the robots. It was so bad that no one could sell a used one on ebay and it was deterring sales of new ones because people were afraid they would turn yellow fast. Hasbro realized this and they went back and changed it and now the new ones use a much better grade of plastic that does not yellow nearly as easily and will hopefully take years to do so, instead of happening immediately. They make a new batch every couple of years. They didnt keep doing the same mistake that was costing them sales. Very simple.

Last edited by funpubincadmin; 07-23-2015 at 12:33 PM. Reason: Warning for RUDE comments!

With the New Lost Talkers coming soon and new Atomic Man in the spring, Brian and the Collector's Club get a big 👍 from me!!

Please note that our modern production of clear plastics have a UV stabilizer that will help keep it from yellowing. As previously mentioned, display location and lighting are always factors in the long term and those conditions are only controlled by the owner.

Private First Class sf49ersphan@aol.com's Avatar
    Thanks for answering on the copter. I'm disappointed to hear that it won't be made avaiLable at this time but not surprised as it hadn't been shown at all. Has the club thought about possibly seeing if there is a vendor that could 3-d print them? Seems like a natural project for 3D printing. Heck maybe one of the members has some insight as to whether this would be possible.

Thanks again for the answer I'm really looking forward to this one.