Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: G.I. Joe: 50th Anniversary Toys "R" Us Exclusive Sets!

Sergeant
    Bully for you, but it STILL helps scalpers more than actual fans like you and me. Scalpers will buy up the inventory and get them sent to a friend's address in Canada and then they appear at two or three times the price on eBay. The scalpers are the problem, not actual fans in Canada. Even if enough of the items make it to the US website and the store shelves here lots of people who don't want to wait will pay the ridiculous scalper prices just to not have to deal with the delay. It's just bad for everybody but scalpers, that's what bothers me most about it.

Canadian stores wont even get these on shelves. At least they never got Masterpiece Soundwave or Acid Storm. They got one case of four Metroplex and Masterpiece Prime and 30 for 30 Prime. So thats 4 units each figure for all of southwestern Ontario. (Yes one whole store for my city and the nearest next one is Toronto.) Then when the units disappear from their website, instead of putting 'sold out' on the page so you can still see that they did have the product, they just remove the entire page so that you cant ever see it again. I am extremely dubious that these Gi Joes will even reach store shelves in Canada at all. They do have a huge line of Toys R Us modern action heroes or whatever theyre called and theres a whole wall of them so I guess theyd rather stock that since it has better margins for them. They have about 200 Coronation Starscreams and about 500 Lego Arkham Asylums (209 dollars plus tax). So they arent avoiding stocking Hasbro exclusive items because they think its too expensive for consumers, its because of the cost on the good quality figures being too high and it makes it so the greedy executives can have less gold plated bath faucets in their cottage outhouses.. The morons that BUY from the scalpers on ebay are the problem, not the scalpers. Stop enabling them, have some patience..
    Last edited by boostergold5@gmail.com; 07-30-2014 at 01:35 PM.

I actually ordered through BBTS because they had them listed first, so one of everything without having to plan a day trip.
    Actually the Canadian TRU has the Lady Jaye/Baroness and Snow Job/ Artic BAT set up which has not been made available anywhere in the US. As for the Tan Danger at the Docks being available in the US- If you call Selling starting at 10:00 am and being sold out at 10:01 am available...

Sergeant
    Also, gold5, if you let me buy one of each of the Canadian items available on the TRU website I will gladly pay the shipping here to the US. I just want to get these purchases out of the way so I don't have to keep checking every hour or so. E-mail me at j_yoders@hotmail.com if you'd like to help a fellow collector out.

Junior Member amaraljustin@hotmail.com's Avatar
    as a fellow southwestern ontarian, i agree.

Wave 3.5 of retaliation was realeased in the US in july. my local toys r us, didnt get ANY until early NOVEMBER. didnt get any wave 4 at all!
    i had to go to my local comic shops who order directly from the manufacterers. and as far as i know, canadian walmarts arent stocking gi joe at all anymore.

the last of gi joe kreo we got, was wave 2, last year in about october. NO wave 3 at all yet. and probobly wont come.

its not just joes, its everything. the generations tramsformers, the june releases, like rat trap, NOT here star wars black series, NOT here. we have SHELVES and SHELVES of wave 1 and 2 black series, TOOO many anikins, bigs, slave leiahs, greedos...and boba fett? i only saw two..ever.

all these waves keep comming out and we miss all of them....its a shame what hasbro has done with thier near monopoly on the toy industry.

Sergeant
    Hasbro is certainly killing the golden goose with the decisions they've made with both GI Joe and Star Wars lately. There are still wave one pursuit of cobras on shelves at my local TRU. None of the later waves even showed up. I don't think Target even stocks Joes at all anymore. period. At least not the ones near me.

There is a reason Mattel is the number one toy company in the world- they make their products available and still collectible...

Hasbro is certainly killing the golden goose with the decisions they've made with both GI Joe and Star Wars lately. There are still wave one pursuit of cobras on shelves at my local TRU. None of the later waves even showed up. I don't think Target even stocks Joes at all anymore. period. At least not the ones near me.
    I agree with you 100%. I collect Joe and Star Wars and both lines have been suffering from distribution problems since at least 2010 (star wars' problems started in 2008-09). This applies to Marvel products as well. My TRU never received any of the later Retaliation waves and I found most of those at Wallgreens, Rite Aid, Kmart and online. Something is definitely wrong when Rite Aid and Wallgreens stock more figures than Toys R Us. Additionally, my local Target stopped stocking joes back in 2010 (almost nothing after W2 of POC). For some reason I think that Hasbro is trying to destroy the brands that put them on the map so they can focus on Angry Birds and other lines with limited life spans. Transformers is the only exception to this trend. On the other hand, Mattel and Playmates items are always in abundance and always arrive on time. You should see the number of Batman '66 figures that are available in the Times Square Toys R Us in NYC and all my local stores are constantly restocking TMNT figures which still sell briskly after almost 30 years.

I don't think Hasbro is intentionally trying to kill the Joe and Star Wars lines. That would make no sense, escpecially with Star Wars. That license is, practically speaking, an ATM, just raking in the cash.

Far as Joe goes, I still think they are not 100% sure what to do with the line. It has become primarily a collector's line (as opposed to a true toy line) and that isn't their business. The recent line of 12" statues failed, and to them that shows the 12" line is dead. The RAH line is still alive and well with collectors, but I just think they don't want to be Sideshow. They want to be a toy company. And this is where the business model gets muddy.
    Last edited by hojecki@optonline.net; 07-31-2014 at 12:25 PM.

Junior Member bmoney@cimtel.net's Avatar
    the 50th sets are up on BBTS. thats probably how i'm going to get them because here in oklahoma no one stocks toys here. atleast there is something out there. i cant wait to get the wolf and the barroness pack