Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Troop Builder 3-packs for FSS subscribers?

Private First Class

Troop Builder 3-packs for FSS subscribers?

I've started this thread after discussions with other members about the possibility of "troop builder" exclusive packs.

I'm wondering if the Club has considered this, and if so what would it take to make it happen?

Specifically this round for Crimson Guard Immortal - as I understand it the club will be placing their orders for manufacturing soon.

It'd be great to have had this chance for Nano BAT and Desert Scorpion, but I'm guessing that ship has sailed since production has ended. Hoping maybe it could work for CGI.

Here's what I would suggest, and please share your thoughts / pros & cons / ideas etc.

- 3-pack, bagged troop builders of Crimson Guard Immortal
    - Only available as an add-on for members who purchase an FSS subscription

- I think a lot of members want multiples of the troop/army builders and I'd rather give my money to the Club instead of the inflated after market.

Adding this now when the figures are about to go into production seems like the best time to do it. At minimum how many extra would need to be ordered by the Club to make it worthwhile? Another 1000? 2000? I'm willing to best most FSS subscribers would be interested in this.

What do you guys think?

I'd love to hear a response on this from the Club

I'd be all for it. I don't know how much less expensive it is to produce loose figures as opposed to carded figures, but there should be some sort of saving there. You'd think pricing would be in line with a con 3-pack or maybe even a little less since it would be a larger run.

Quote Originally Posted by seanmjordan@gmail.com View Post
    as I understand it the club will be placing their orders for manufacturing soon. It'd be great to have had this chance for Nano BAT and Desert Scorpion, but I'm guessing that ship has sailed since production has ended.

- 3-pack, bagged troop builders of Crimson Guard Immortal
    - Only available as an add-on for members who purchase an FSS subscription
    I agree with the only available with FSS, but I am not sure about the ship already sailing. Hasbro has the molds from the Nano Bat and Desert Scorpion so there would be no additional set up charges, just a reissue of that particular mold. Personally, I would like to see the 3 packs available consisting of one of each NB, DS and CGI and would buy at least 3 of each. Others may want an Army of an individual figure and this wouldn't work for them per say, but it would still be better than buying on the secondary market option they currently have, plus they would have the ability to trade the other two for the ones they want.

I'm not sure if I would be interested in this (just not into army building), but it sounds like a good idea to offer this service to others. The way it was suggested here (only available after you subscribe to the full FSS) should not hurt the sales of full sets. Once the figure is designed and the new head is made you might as well make as many as you can at once. It would still be based off of preorders so the exact number could be made.
    If for some reason this can't happen this year, here is a different thought for next year. Make all 13 figures in the FSS unique characters (no vipers or generic troopers). Then design a troop builder figure each year sold completely separate from the FSS. Build it based on preorders and let people order as many as they want.
    looking for:
    vintage Capt Grid Iron helmet and football grenades
    vintage Backblast v1 missile launcher
    DG Storm Shadow Bow (or similar mold in black)

Quote Originally Posted by rjhiii@sover.net View Post
    I agree with the only available with FSS, but I am not sure about the ship already sailing. Hasbro has the molds from the Nano Bat and Desert Scorpion so there would be no additional set up charges, just a reissue of that particular mold. Personally, I would like to see the 3 packs available consisting of one of each NB, DS and CGI and would buy at least 3 of each. Others may want an Army of an individual figure and this wouldn't work for them per say, but it would still be better than buying on the secondary market option they currently have, plus they would have the ability to trade the other two for the ones they want.
    Just because the molds are there doesn't mean there are no additional set up costs. Every time a figure is made it takes time to set up the machinery to produce those particular parts and apply the proper paint applications. The club has already paid for this once for the Nano BAT and Desert Scorpion and would have to pay more for a second run. The place to start with this is the Crimson Guard Immortal. They are going to be made anyway and while machines are already set up you could make as many as you want. If this works maybe they can look at going back to the other troopers.
    looking for:
    vintage Capt Grid Iron helmet and football grenades
    vintage Backblast v1 missile launcher
    DG Storm Shadow Bow (or similar mold in black)

Most "set up fees" are for design and are one time only. It is almost a standard in most industries.

It's about $22 per figure for the subscription. If they over produced 1 figure and didn't card them I think they could get the price down even more. If they sold 3 packs of those overproduced non-carded figures for $50-$70 they could make a bit more I think, in the long run... It would behoove the club to look into this as there is a large desire for troop builders. I think the 3 packs of Zombie Steel Brigades went pretty fast at the con. Think about it guys... PLEASE!

I would definitely buy bagged trooper builder sets of the Desert Scorpion and CGI.

Other suggestions:Frag- Vipers, Saw- Vipers, Toxo- Vipers, Annihilators, Python Troopers, Python Tele-Vipers. I know these are convention exclusives and I'm probably angering all the scalpers but aren't 6 better than 3. Since the molds and designs already exist for these characters wouldn't they simply be reissues? The club could offer some packs for pre-order to determine if there is sufficient interest (I's start with the CGI and the Annihilators). After all they did this in 2012 with the Oktober Guard set.

Private First Class dgarlit@gmail.com's Avatar
    I would definitely be interested in a bagged 3-pack of CGIs. I like the idea of an add on for those that have already purchased FSS. It'd be cool if they did this "troop builder" builder option for at least one figure for each FSS. It'd be nice to get some of the previous ones as well (like desert scorpion) but at the least, CGI would be a fantastic place to start. A non-carded, 3 figure troop builder pack!

Maybe an add-on for those that sign up before the last reveal, a reward to those that sign up to support the club and don't nit pick every detail of the figures...