Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: G.I. Joe Renegades Series

Question G.I. Joe Renegades Series

What did you like about the G.I. Joe Renegades series?

Name:  Renegades-series.jpg
Views: 825
Size:  28.7 KB

I liked the story telling. The relationships between the characters, the origins, the individual tales, and the over arching nature of the series.

Honestly, I liked nearly everything about it.

It's very difficult these days to tell a military oriented story that will appeal to kids, yet also be kid-friendly, and I think Renegades accomplished all of that. There were military elements that made it feel very "G.I. Joe" but some kid friendly moments as well. However, those kid friendly moments weren't overwhelming and the series managed to remain very mature and adult oriented, too.

I think the animation was fantastic. I know some folks had issues with the artistic style (I wasn't one of them) but the fluid animation during some of the battle scenes was impressive. The two part series with Snake Eyes' origin was especially fantastic.

Honestly I think the animation models were really awesome, too. I understand some folks' issues with the flatness of the characters and some of the exaggerated proportions, but if you break it down, I think the designs themselves were extremely solid. If translated to a slightly more realistic looking character they work quite nicely.

I find myself thinking mostly of Destro's various versions:

I also think once Cobra Commander started wearing the full battle mask and Zartan got his chameleon armor, those were both great designs as well.

I'm rambling at this point, but I think there was a lot to love about G.I. Joe: Renegades and many folks didn't give it a fair shake (including Hasbro themselves, I think). I can still sit down and pop in any episode whatsoever and be entertained throughout the entire 22 minutes, and I think the designs would translate to great toys.

Private First Class firechief420@gmail.com's Avatar
    I'd have to agree with most everything GeneralJoes said. I loved how all the classic characters were introduced throughout the show. It really had the feel of a great origins-story. The backdrop of having Cobra with legitimacy is a story I've wanted to be told in a big way for a long time. Renegades was a fantastic opening act we really need a second and third series to follow them up!

Private First Class firechief420@gmail.com's Avatar
    Plus, I'm still waiting for a Major Bludd figure with his Bludd-mobile.

i enjoyed the storyline, very much in the same line as the A-team. Kinda dissappointed that major characters were left out of the toyline.

Agreed with you both. They managed to introduce supporting characters in very unique ways that were different, yet still in the spirit of the original stories. Loved their twist on Tomax and Xamot, and I can only imagine how they could have really developed the universe once the Joes were no longer fugitives and Cobra was an established threat.

And yeah, a total shame we didn't get figures for Roadblock, Baroness, Destro, Major Bludd, Mindbender, etc... seems like a big missed opportunity there.

Have to admit, at first I wasn't a big fan but as I watched more episodes it grew on me and by the end of the run I was chomping at the bit for more...Along with the many of the figure opportunities that were missed, I still wish that they would have put out the Coyote that was in the case at Toy Fair (I think...)...even if they did release it without the renegades stamp on it, it would make for a good modern Urban APC vehicle or such...

I LOVED that show! It combined kid stuff with adult stuff without canceling each other out, and I loved the animation style, and the toys we did get were GREAT, but destro and baroness toys would have been great!

VampClutch, they showed the Coyote at JoeCon in 2012, I believe. It was a wonder to behold!