Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A new cartoon?

Corporal iamcanadian@sasktel.net's Avatar

Question A new cartoon?

Have you ever wondered what made ARAH so popular in the 80s and still resonates with its adult fans today?
    I believe one reason was because it took a chance and tried something new.

Maybe its time to let the characters retire or die and let a new group take over (most characters would be in their 60s by now). Maybe Cobra should be destroyed or taken over by a different terrorist group, or have new characters take over the leadership positions.

Let Snake Eyes fade to black. Let there be a new team, new enemies, and a new world threat.

What do you think? Should the old guard step back and let the new kids take over? Should the brand start over with a clean slate? Can it actually be revamped like it was in the 80's into something new?

it would be nice to see people's children (if they had any.)

A young Storm Shadow.

Or perhaps all new characters. There would/will be still a demand for GI Joe if a new cartoon came to life.

With a new brand manager at Hasbro, I really hope we get a new animated series.

I hope we get a new series as well, when we have a series there are Joes on the shelves.....no we have to wait for exclusive items...I miss having joes in every store.

I think it would be hard to recreate the glory of the 80's and 90's (maybe not so much) gi joe cartoons. I've always found the original joes and cobras to be extremely well developed and deeply nuanced. I could be wrong, but I think that any attempt to recreate that success will not be well received. Any new characters would just end up being ultra p.c. cookie-cutter characters that are devoid of all interesting character traits. Try watching any cartoon from the past 15 years (the exception being Clone Wars, MOTU, some of the Marvel and DC Shows) and you'll see what I mean. The rest are simply awful beyond comparison.

Junior Member jenaeakle@msn.com's Avatar
    I don't think there's a clear artistic vision as to what the brand should be about anymore. The logical place to start is the live-action movies, but the ones we've had read as unrelated spec scripts with GI Joe branding grafted on top.

In our youth, the show was unabashedly pro-American, confident in its presentation of heroes and villains, and just gonzo in its execution. If you can retain those qualities while modifying the shape of the story to reflect modern storytelling techniques, you might make a go of it.

Private First Class jute_twine@yahoo.com's Avatar
    that would be cool to see a new team , or even a different gijoe cartoon all together .
    The could do a adventure team type of cartoon like the way they did Action man a few years back .
    As in a smaller team or do more with the red shadow .

Private First Class sheila4420@hotmail.com's Avatar
    I like to think they don't age in real-time, but do age slower. That way we can have the vets we grew up and loved and new ones as well. That being said, I think they should make a cartoon more grown up for the adults that grew up with the original.

Of interest Hasbro just applied for trademark protection for "Knowing is half the battle" spurring speculation on several forums of a possible new cartoon in the future. Just because it was the PSA after the original Sunbow Cartoons.

I like the suggestions made by BusterMCD and RogueLdr. It needs to follow the ARAH model if it's for kids, whether it's a mix of old and new characters or not. But the core audience, the ones who support the brand financially, deserve a more "grown up," cartoon for all the money we spend to keep it alive. I don't mean they have to swear, show nudity, and gratuitous violence. I simply mean, death is plausible, bullets not lasers, and real world modern themes in plot. It could work. The original file cards are still so rich with source material and still only 1/4 of characters have ever been used to their potential.
    "A Soldier's Job is to do the impossible and then be forgotten." - Hawk, G.I. Joe #1