Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Classic G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero Series

Question Classic G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero Series

What are your favorite G.I. Joe/Cobra characters and episodes?

Name:  RAH-series.jpg
Views: 654
Size:  23.0 KB

One of the best episodes of the ARAH has to be There's No Place Like Springfield. Not only was it a nod to The Prisoner and the Twilight Zone, I think it inadvertently served as a commentary on service members returning from Vietnam, which you must remember was only ten years past in 1985. Think about it, Shipwreck, although under the influence of Cobra, was experiencing post traumatic stress disorder from his "war experience," albeit imagined. It depicted very well the effect PTSD had on his family.

Let's Play Soldier was also interesting in its depiction of Post- Vietnam SE Asia and issue of war orphans. It is amazing that the topic was even broached in a children's program.

Here are the really weird ones- Nightmare Assault (are we sure Low Light wasn't using illicit substances), Iceberg Goes South (how is it even possible to survive being mutated into a whale), Cobra's Candidate (sooo 80's and somewhat un-pc), and Gray Hairs and Growing Pains (What!?!)
    Last edited by kelty11@verizon.net; 12-16-2013 at 11:27 AM.

The Viper is Coming will always be my favourite. I rewatched it the other night and noticed just how violent Destro gets with his subordinates.

And how can anyone forget Cobra Claws are Coming to Town this time of year? I left the Funhouse off my list- Cobra set off an atomic bomb! On a weekday morning children's show!

I really like Cobra Stops the World. It feels like a 5-part miniseries wrapped into a single episode. I always liked the Alpine and Bazooka duo.

Private First Class sheila4420@hotmail.com's Avatar
    I always thought the original 5-part series was exceptional. They put a lot more time into those 5-part movie series and it really showed. The detail and movement of the characters and vehicles blew my mind! As for regular episodes, I thought the 2-part "Worlds without end" story was well done.

"Once Upon a Joe" is one of my top favorites.

"Once upon a time, there lived a shoemaker, The Duke, who lived in a giant combat boot with his three sons, Leatherhead, Frog Face and Shipshape." ("Squawk! This is for the birds," quips Polly.)

"After discovering that he is cooking the laundry, The Duke interrupts the fight between Frog Face and Leatherhead and explains to all of his sons that they are all out of food. Therefore, Leatherhead skips off to town to buy hamburgers for everyone. But the Big Bad Cobra struck Leatherhead’s weakest spot, his head, with a mallet."

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0789977/

I agree, Cobra Stops the World is fantastic because of the real- world issues involved- terrorist threats to the oil supply, etc.
    Here are a couple more that I remember: Haul Down the Heavens- cobra instigating global warming and the very violent premise of cobra wanting to drown the world!!, Jungle Trap was also interesting, The Phantom Brigade was just plain bizarre, The Gamesmaster was a very tripy 80's episode (Flint on vacation and driving a Ferrari again as well as the Baroness in very abbreviated atire), An Eye for Eye- an exploration of the collateral damage inflicted on civilians by war and terrorism, The Pit of Vipers- the danger of automated war machines, and finally, Not a Ghost of Chance- great animation, music and very mature character moments between Flint and Lady Jaye.

Captain Matthew.stoops@wmich.edu's Avatar
    I like the episode where Cobra has the animal control thing and takes control of Junkyard and makes him hunt Mutt after a brief five minute head start. Mutt's budy says "Hey! You said he had five minutes!" And Cobra Commander said, in a way that only he could, "Yess, funny how time flies, issn't it?"

Corporal iamcanadian@sasktel.net's Avatar
    The original MASS device 5 part was one of the best. I also liked the traitor 2 part, and worlds without end.