Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: DIC Animated Series

Private First Class wuala87@gmail.com's Avatar
    Hey guys, I always asked because there is so much hate towards the DIC version, I honestly do not understand, sunbow also had errors in the animation, I know, maybe the sound effects to some people was quite tedious. However, the DIC version had wonderful things, step to list:

* The great variety of characters was something great, until today many of the most quoted characters, come from there.

* Vehicles and aircraft also had a great variety and technological-military approach.

* The battles, much better animated from the movement of missiles to the visual perspective.

* The sub-teams, ninja commands, sky patrol will always be remembered.

* Operation Dragonfire
    * Victory at Volcania, Part 1
    Victory at Volcania, Part 2

... and some more that I do not remember their names. All this is an appreciation of mine and I respect all empirical and objective opinions. Yo Joe!

Private First Class jermany888@yahoo.com's Avatar
    Ok. I started collecting Joe in '82. I was born in '73 so I also had some Adventure Team and Super Joe. I know the DIC series was a little lack luster and I was in my late teens when it came out. So that being said, I did like Operation Dragon Fire for the most part. And the first season was much better than the second. I know the show lacked depth and was hokey, but I'm just a huge Joe fan and I got to see some of my favorite '90's Joes in action. I find it quite amusing. Not like the Sunbow episodes weren't a little hokey too. But I still love 'em. I grew up on the Sunbow series. I just find the DIC series to be fun and silly. I guess I'll never grow up.

I grew up on the Sunbow series. I just find the DIC series to be fun and silly.

Yes, that's the key, the time in which one grew up, I was born in 87 so I saw the series Sunbow (which at that time was broadcast in my country) and the whole beginning of the DIC & Gi Joe EXTREME, I agree I was a bit silly, but it was a symptom of all the series of the 90s, no doubt for those who love the Joes, it was great to see our favorite characters in action, as you say.

Private First Class
    I wish the Sgt Savage stand alone episode had been included in the DIC dvd release. Nice seeing Doc and Lady Jaye one last time.

Yes, that's the key, the time in which one grew up, I was born in 87 so I saw the series Sunbow (which at that time was broadcast in my country) and the whole beginning of the DIC & Gi Joe EXTREME, I agree I was a bit silly, but it was a symptom of all the series of the 90s, no doubt for those who love the Joes, it was great to see our favorite characters in action, as you say.
    I agree completely that timing matters. The first Joe series I saw was Dragonfire in '89 (it's sad how long ago that was) and I really enjoyed it. I then started watching joe in earnest in 1990 (7:30 am on WPIX in NYC). What I saw was a mixture of new episodes paired with ones form the 80's. You have to remember that I was in second grade so I wasn't analyzing the animation or voice acting. Sure, I though episodes of both were kind weird. What I enjoyed immensely was seeing my toys on TV and vice versa. I really liked what I came to understand were the older episodes, but at the time there was virtually no means of obtaining toys from 1983 and '84, except the odd find at random card stores and mom and pop toys stores. My suggestion for all of us adult (??) collectors is to just sit back and enjoy the cartoons from our childhood - even if they are terrible the nostalgia element is fantastic.

Confession - I actually enjoyed EXTREME - crazy, right?

watched gi joe the 2 first mini series Mass device and revenge of cobra with some episode of Season 1 then jumped quickly to Season 2 following the animation of Dic era which its was big part of childhood and continued the event of GI Joe the movie in operation dragon fire restoring Cobra Commander to power afterward well it had some moments lame and enjoyable from time to time but more importantly well introduced some of my favorite joes like: Cpt.Grid-Iron, Pathfinder, Bull-Horn, Rampart and Skydive.

Private First Class
    Sunbow had it's flaws but was 1000x better the DIC. Even as a kid it came off as cheesy and campy. I would definitely disagree with it being a symptom of the 90s. The 90s had just as many great shows as the 80s. Xmen, Batman the animated ,Spiderman, Gargoyles just to name a few that were all far better than Joe and none off them were nearly as corny or as poorly done. In my opinion had Hasbro not cheaped out and allowed DIC to take over I think Joe could have lasted a few more seasons. I will say I love the theme song an opening of the series but that's about it. Again like most I am glad we got to see characters like Alley Viper Night Vipers Salvo Pathfinder and a bunch of others on screen but they all would have been better under Sunbow.

In the intro of the DIC series it is mentioned in the firt verse:

"You know you got to stand tall when it comes down to the wire"

I do not know what you mean by "wire", I honestly do not understand the whole verse, could someone explain me?