Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DIC Animated Series

DIC Animated Series

Please share your thoughts on the 1989-91 DIC Animated Series.

Best of, Worst of, favorite episodes, etc.

Corporal iamcanadian@sasktel.net's Avatar
    This series was terrible. After watching the sunbow series I decided to purchase the DIC series. I figured the animation and stories would be better or at least a little less campy then the orginal, but no. Everything was dumbed down. The music was annoying, the voice acting was lackluster, the animation was second rate and the stories made the original series look like Macbeth. I want to say something possitive, but I just can't think of anything. I mean, the characters weren't even likeable.

I agree completely. I had not seen this series in 15-17 years when I bought the DVD last. Mind you, I thought this show was great as a kid, but upon watching it again I frankly don't know what I liked about it. But it was made with 5-8 year olds in mind.

Private First Class manolive@hotmail.com's Avatar
    It's the Scooby Doo feeling that bugs me about it. The slap-stick and goofy sound effects. But CC nailed with the audio side. Music and voice acting was totally without feeling. About the only thing I can say nice about it is being able to see some of my favorite Cobra figures in action, dumb as it was. Night Viper, Alley Viper, Laser Viper etc. The real hard part was seeing Storm Shadow looking cool, but he and Snake Eyes became Laurel and Hardy and he lost his noble character and just wouldn't shut up.

Snake Eyes and Storm Shadow acted drunk or high most of the time, i.e. Kindergarten Commandos, The Sword, and Shadow of a Doubt. Scarlett was also reduced to being a clueless valley girl and Gen. Hawk must have had suffered a TBI somewhere along the way.

"Got to get tough...got to get tough!"

Oh my,yet another reason why i dislike the 90's.

About the only thing I can say nice about it is being able to see some of my favorite Cobra figures in action, dumb as it was. Night Viper, Alley Viper, Laser Viper etc. The real hard part was seeing Storm Shadow looking cool, but he and Snake Eyes became Laurel and Hardy and he lost his noble character and just wouldn't shut up.[/QUOTE]

I agree 100% with that, if you were born in the mid 80's then the characters and vehicles on the show were the ones you were playing with in your living room. The only reason I could ever justify buying that show to myself would be to see Range Vipers, Desert Scorpions, the Parasite, etc. But then I would remember how they gave Grunt (a guy from Columbus, Ohio) a very annoyingly done New York accent, and just forget it. Maybe Dic's A-team was working on Captain Planet during that time.

Private First Class
    I agree with just about everyone here. I watched the original ARAH cartoon series. My younger brother grew up watching the DIC series. Although neither series is really anything to brag about in my opinion they do provide us with fond memories of being a kid playing with GIJoe. With that said, I am an 80's and early 90's cartoon lover. I own and watch numerous cartoon series from the late 80's and early 90's. As a Joe collector I bought both seasons of DIC and sat down with sincere interest at first. it got to a point where I would hit "next" on the remote for the opening credits and force myself to watch episodes just to experience the complete Joe cartoon universe. If you watch it with a 90's attitude and with the wide-eyed wonder of a 9 year old it's not that bad. Operation Dragonfire is o.k. along with a couple other random episodes here and there. I will probably only watch the series once more in the next couple years. In that time I will then be in my forties and it will still help me remember a better time where GI Joe was still a constant in my life. But, if you want really campy animation and stories re-watch the Voltron series. That one was really tough.

This show was good for laughs,chunnel and el dorado, upsetting i found you evy,and the sludge factor that showed how easy it could
    twisted.

Corporal
    The one and only thing I like about the DIC series was Operation: Dragonfire. Not so much the quality, no, But I loved the return of Cobra Commander, and seeing serpentor reduced to an iguana.....High points were seeing the Mudfighter, Slaughter's Marauders, Python Patrol, Those were the only qualities that I liked about DIC, there was just so much potential lost when SUNBOW didn't make it's planned season 3, I read a long synopsis by Buzz Dixon on plans that sunbow had, it's sad that it never happened, DIC animation was great for MASK, just not for G.I.JOE. The D.E.F. (Headman episode where JOE and Cobra joined forces, that was one that I will say I had my children watch, it had a good message about the dangers of drugs, and that is an episode that even with the bad voice acting, I will watch).
    Last edited by tkallspark@yahoo.com; 07-26-2015 at 08:01 AM.