Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: GI Joe 3, What would YOU like to see.

Quote Originally Posted by rew97@live.com View Post
    G.I. Joe is not part of the greater Marvel universe in any way, shape or form. Larry Hama used ideas in the Joe universe he had intended for SHIELD before getting the joe assignment. True, there were a few cameo's of Marvel characters like the guy dressed as Hulk in issue 10 and J. Jonah Jameson in the Snake Eyes trilogy, but they were not intended to suggest G.I. Joe and Marvel exist in the same universe.
    Also I highly doubt Hasbro would disrespect IDW comics to get Marvel's help in producing what is sure to be yet another generic action movie in G.I. Joe 3.

Hama's intent was to make a comic that was an offshoot of SHIELD. MARVEL, at the time, did not see it. Then when Hasbro came to them Hama was assigned GI Joe and the rest is basically history. And ANYTHING printed by MARVEL is part of the Marvel Universe, and if realities can co-exist they do. That is why J. Jonah Jameson appeared. Personally, that is also how you can tie Cobra-La, the Star Brigade and all the other craziness into GI Joe. BTW, I think the Transformers would also fit into this greater universe, as you know Marvel has alternate universes/realities etc throughout the comics. Personally, I think it would make a better story than the crap Paramount has given. Also, this would not be GI Joe 3, but an entire reboot and pretend the Paramount films don't exist...

[QUOTE=rjhiii@sover.net;3784]Hama's intent was to make a comic that was an offshoot of SHIELD. MARVEL, at the time, did not see it. Then when Hasbro came to them Hama was assigned GI Joe and the rest is basically history. And ANYTHING printed by MARVEL is part of the Marvel Universe, and if realities can co-exist they do.

Anything published by a comic book company is not part of their universe DC and Marvel both have printed Star Trek, and you will not see Spook hanging out with either Batman or Spider-Man. So again, G.I. Joe is not part of the Marvel universe and was never intended to be.

You are missing the point completely- If it exists in the same "real world" with a few crossovers that makes it possible. (I don't remember Spock hanging out with Batman-I must have missed that issue), but J. Jonas has crossed over. Second, Larry Hama himself linked the two in interviews over the year. His "intent" was to create a sci-fi Army that could rival SHIELD. He also stated he developed some of the story ideas specifically for that purpose when he was offered the Hasbro toy line. Third, this thread is about what "you" would like to see- and that is what I would like to see. You may actually like the crappy GI Joe movie series that Paramount has put out, you have the right to your opinions.

Captain Matthew.stoops@wmich.edu's Avatar
    Though a Star Trek GI Joe crossover would be interesting and weird, The events of Star Trek proper happen in the 25th century if I'm not mistaken. The GI Joe franchise we know and love was introduced in the 20th century, and refined in the 21st. Who says they can't be part of the same universe when things are that far apart?

Well it is not like Star Trek has never traveled back into time and the 20th Century... Star Trek VI (the one with the Whales)...

Couple minor things before the goofs get on our case about sliding off topic. Star Trek was the 23rd (original series) and 24th (Next Gen/DSR/Voyager) and it was Star Trek IV that was the one with the Whales

Hmmm.

Nevertheless, I just watched Olympus has Fallen, and I was impressed with a number of things about it. GI Joe 3, or GI Joe 1 v2 would work well with a higher grit content. Not to exclude any of the young'uns out there, Paramount can continue with GI Joe 3, but something more mature with a seriousness that we find so prevalent in the world we live in today, yet retain a bit of tongue in cheek humor, would be a needed change of pace.

In secret over the past twenty years, a nameless man has been amassing an army. Comprised of men and women removed from various international militant forces, men and women with a bone to pick with their nationality. In the shadows of a place called Cobra Island they trained and they plotted, spreading sleepers to the four corners of the world.

When the man, now know as "The Commander" to the forces he controls, felt the time was right, he instructed the sleepers to detonate charges placed in the foundation and structure of the Pentagon, and sank it into the soil of Langley, VA. Similar orders were given to sleepers in all the superpowers.

Without giving the dust the appropriate amount of time to settle, "The Commander" hijacked all radio, wi-fi, and television signals in the world. He gave his demand, control.

The President of the United States, from an undisclosed secure location, ordered the ARAH Initiative be activated. General Abernathy of the U.S. Military, was appointed leader of the team he was to assemble in 12 hours, GI JOE.

Quote Originally Posted by rjhiii@sover.net View Post
    You are missing the point completely- If it exists in the same "real world" with a few crossovers that makes it possible. (I don't remember Spock hanging out with Batman-I must have missed that issue), but J. Jonas has crossed over. Second, Larry Hama himself linked the two in interviews over the year. His "intent" was to create a sci-fi Army that could rival SHIELD. He also stated he developed some of the story ideas specifically for that purpose when he was offered the Hasbro toy line. Third, this thread is about what "you" would like to see- and that is what I would like to see. You may actually like the crappy GI Joe movie series that Paramount has put out, you have the right to your opinions.
    I do not think you understand that of which you speak, as you have made several statements that are just plain wrong. Anyway, I'm done arguing with you about this. You have the right to your own opinion, not your own facts. May I suggest you re-read some of the letters pages from the Marvel issues if you have them, and also learn about how comic book continuities work in regard to licensed properties.

As for G.I. Joe 3 I think they should scrap it completely as am sure it will be nothing but another generic and forgetable action movie, where Flint is a sissy, Cover Girl is dead and Cobra Commander is a cheap Darth Vader rip off. Instead I think Hasbro should go for another ARAH animated show make it TV PG to draw in Joe fans young and old. Have the show take place in the 80's and follow the ARAH comic continuity.

I listened to Larry Hama about how GI Joe came about- first person interview- this is a fact, not conjecture. He said he had been pitching the idea to the MARVEL execs, who did not "see the need for the unit outside of SHIELD". I don't care about the licenses as it applies- Hasbro owns GI Joe and all licenses and trademarks, Marvel owns their licenses and trademarks, Marvel has allowed use of their licensed characters into GI Joe comics, and Hasbro has licensed GI Joe to Marvel, and MARVEL to HASBRO before. As for continuities- the differences are always explained as alternate timelines, universes, dimensions, etc if they want it to be canon. Keep in mind that Disney-Lucas Film is now currently rewriting the entire Star Wars Extended Universe Continuity with episode 7. All comics, books, cartoons not produced under their direction are no longer canon, or part of the Extended Universe. When it comes to large companies, they can do what they want when they own the properties. No need to re read or "learn" about comic continuities.

But I see we both agree that the movie series is awful, doesn't follow any continuity and should be scrapped as non-canon, and some sort of reboot is necessary. I do like Cloaked Raven's thoughts above, which would have to be a reboot since Cobra Commander and Hawk have already been introduced into the first two bad, but very profitable movies.

Quote Originally Posted by rjhiii@sover.net View Post
    I do like Cloaked Raven's thoughts above, which would have to be a reboot since Cobra Commander and Hawk have already been introduced into the first two bad, but very profitable movies.
    Awwww, thanks buddy. I like my thoughts too.

Here's more:

Have Cobra Commander played by Ron Pearlman, he has a voice and delivery that is perfect for a villain. This villain, not to steamroll over what Chris Latta (bless his heart) had established, but a high squeaky terrorist does not scream "Don't mess* with me."

I can imagine it very well, a clandestine meeting in Castle McCullen in northern Scotland. Two forms, illuminated by the light of a grand fireplace, separated by a long banquet table. Food of many kinds and origins fill the surface of the table as the pair discuss business.

"Solar powered, completely autonomous, they're the perfect soldiers for ye. With these ye need not cloth them, or feed them, or pay them. They be cheap, easy to manfacture, yet durable and deadly. What do ye thin o' that?"

"Excellent Destro. Your endeavors in the devices of war never cease to amaze me." (Imagine Ron Pearlman saying that!)

*insert stronger expletive here.
    Last edited by Matthew.stoops@wmich.edu; 07-23-2014 at 04:58 PM.