Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: SPOILERS! FSS 7.0 Figure Discussion

SPOILERS! FSS 7.0 Figure Discussion

SPOILER ALERT! Do not continue reading if you want to be surprised by the figures in the FSS 7.0 shipments!

We have a no spoilers thread to let people know when the FSS figures are arriving, but many members have their first shipment already (or know who is coming through other means), so I figured we should have a spoilers thread for those that want to discuss the figures as they arrive.

If you don't want the surprise spoiled, stop reading this thread now (why did you open it anyway?)!

The first two figures are:

Tread(Skid)mark and Ice Viper Officer
    looking for:
    tan harness from 25th DVD pack Stalker
    black shoulder harness from Dollar General gray Duke
    tan colored legs from Renegades Tunnel Rat, POC Steel Brigade, or similar color
    sniper rifle from Retaliation GI Joe Trooper (gray) or female Cobra Trooper (black)
    vintage Backblast v1 missile launcher
    DG Storm Shadow Bow (or similar mold in black)

I don't actually have an FSS 7 subscription (first time ever), but I did pick up Skidmark (yes I'm going to call him that) from another collector, so here are my thoughts on the first two. First of all, I kind of like that they paired up two vehicle drivers against each other in the first shipment, even though we don't have a modern era Desert Fox for Skidmark to drive.

Skidmark came out almost as well as he could have. It's a reused head, but it looks just like him, and I usually display figures like this with the helmet on anyway, so I'm not bothered that it isn't removable (though I know some people deduct points for that). Other parts choices look good and the accessories are fine for a figure that never had any to begin with (well, except the vehicle). My only complaint is the torso does not have the texture that the sleeves do which would make his shirt look really weird, but I guess it's mostly hidden by the vest. Not sure why the 25th Beachhead torso or POC Snake Eyes torso wasn't used to match the sweater look of the sleeves. I know for sure that the head and vest fit on the POC Snake Eyes torso.

Ice Viper Officer actually looks pretty cool and would be great in the 50th anniversary Wolf, if he had come with that vehicle set. As an FSS figure, he is an example of why I skipped this wave. Even though he looks good, and some people really like him and are glad to have him commanding a Cobra Wolf squad, would anybody have missed him if he wan't included? Would we even notice we didn't have a modern era Ice Viper Officer? There are other repaint/kitbashed characters that could have been included that would have been higher on the priority list for most people.

Character selection aside, I think both figures came out well for what they are supposed to be, and we might see the next two soon, if the club tries to catch up to their schedule.
    looking for:
    sniper rifle from Retaliation GI Joe Trooper (gray) or female Cobra Trooper (black)

Banned
    I think we're all going to get admonished for calling the character his actual, original name, Skidmark, but I agree with you that that's what the character should have been called in is ME figure.

Private First Class
    My Ice Viper Office has loose goggles that sag on his face. Does anyone else's figure have this issue?

Name:  Ice2.jpg
Views: 2522
Size:  48.4 KB

I’ve seen some other pics online like that (and some with the belt on upside down). The goggles can be positioned so they look pretty good sitting on the helmet, but if you were keeping it MOC I’m not sure what you can do.
    looking for:

Corporal
    Their all like that in the package, but once you take them out you'll see the goggles are fine and it looks better

Banned
    Mine actually look fine over his eyes in the package. Looks no worse than a snowmobile driver with big goggles or F1 racers with those breakaway sunglasses goggles.

Private First Class troysheets2001@yahoo.com's Avatar
    I didn’t care for his goggles so I switched em.

Private First Class terran_brackiatt@yahoo.com's Avatar
    i honestly thought that Skidmark's (oops, i did it, too :P ) pants and shirt came out way better than the mockup... but the orange makes me want to add black tiger stripes all over his vest and pants.

i might want another ice-viper officer though, (or maybe a regular ice-viper, doesn't really matter) for the helmet and goggles. they would make a perfect Blizzard helm, imo, if i could only find a suitable brown-haired head.
    ~ the Baconnaire

I am very happy with the first assortment. However, the Ice Viper Officer is best of the pair. I can't believe the Flaming Moth version was from 11 years ago. Yikes. It was also great to get two vehicle drivers.