Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: HasLab ideas

Private First Class ERIKSEMAIL@VERIZON.NET's Avatar
    There is no GI Joe retail. Star Wars is big at retail. Why is there any talk of Haslab doing GI Joe? It's not even a thought at Hasbro.

Corporal
    There is no GI Joe retail. Star Wars is big at retail. Why is there any talk of Haslab doing GI Joe? It's not even a thought at Hasbro.
    Thanks for spoiling a dream. Just kidding but why so negative? This is just something to state our wishes, you know like we did with the FSS. Don't be negative come play with us, it's fun.

I wasn't aware that HasLab projects were related to retail. Jabba's Barge would never be picked by any brick and mortar store in today's market. Besides, Hasbro and other companies must know what's being done on Kickstarter - HACks (Greek, Fantasy, Horses), Animal Warriors, Dime Novel Legends, Hell Screamerz, etc. Hasbro can barely produce it current line of products.

And I don't think Star Wars is still that big at retail. As a fan of that brand, I've seen the line and Hasbro's efforts virtually collapse since 2012 - not collector friendly, poor sculpts and paint jobs, atrocious case packs, bad character choices, terrible distribution (only worsening with the closure of TRU), last waves only available in Canada and EU. I could go on and on, but this forum is dedicated to JOE!!

I was only suggesting that Hasbro give CLASSIC Joe a chance on HasLab. Whip up a small intro campaign and see how it does - that's why I was suggesting Vehicle Drivers or Cobra legions troop builders.

Corporal bassistcarlos@sbcglobal.net's Avatar
    I like the base idea! I wouldn’t mind a Joe or a Cobra base, but it would have to be epic & include an unreleased, named character. I passed on the ROC Pit. That base, at that price point, missed the mark for me. The Hawk figure wasn’t exclusive enough either. I’m really not interested in rehash vehicles, except the Killer Whale, but a new Terrordrome or HQ might do it! If the price point is too high, it would need a new figure to seal the deal. A modern era Sparks, Flagg Sr. or Overlord are just a few suggestions.

Captain
    If it's fairly obvious that there are plenty of too-big-for-retail Joe products that never got the ME treatment that would be perfect for Haslab. If Hasbro put a U.S.S. Flagg up for voting on Haslab it would garner attention way beyond the traditional GI Joe fan crowd and would likely get produced. It might not clear 8,000 purchases like the Sail Barge did but it could easily clear 5k. Same thing the Cobra Terror Drome but, and I haven't seen anyone at Hasbro say something different, that seems to be the sweet spot for Haslab: Big purchases that require money down for production that just does not fit into a retail plan anymore. There's far less risk to figures, figure sets or even small vehicles which if they went the crowdfunding route, I guess, would have a much lower threshold for approval. I just don't see why Hasbro would bother with small runs of toys that don't have high profit margins.

I liked the idea & price point of the BBTS 7 packs & the retail 5 packs. I prefer figures over vehicles, although the Renegades Coyote would be cool! I wouldn’t mind more themed 7, 5 & 3 packs. Sub teams & Environmental themes would be worth trying.

Here lies the reality of a publicly traded company, that has to answer to stockholders. As much as I would like lower price point figure runs, the Haslab concept is to “Dream Big or go home!!!” If Hasbro did the Flagg, Defiant or Terrordrome, I would want in! But, if they did something like the General or Thunderclap, i’d probably pass. Hasbro will have to think outside the box, to build enough consensus, throughout the Joe community. A Cobra Skycrane or Cobra Helicarrier come to mind.

Captain
    Here lies the reality of a publicly traded company, that has to answer to stockholders. As much as I would like lower price point figure runs, the Haslab concept is to “Dream Big or go home!!!” If Hasbro did the Flagg, Defiant or Terrordrome, I would want in! But, if they did something like the General or Thunderclap, i’d probably pass. Hasbro will have to think outside the box, to build enough consensus, throughout the Joe community. A Cobra Skycrane or Cobra Helicarrier come to mind.
    The reality is, too, that things Hasbro tried before - such as the DTC line - weren't ready when Hasbro tried them before. With TRU gone this would be a GREAT time to re-try DTC. I just hope that there isn't backward thinking such as "that already didn't work once" that doesn't take into account changing circumstances.
    Last edited by j_yoders@hotmail.com; 07-10-2018 at 07:21 AM.

Private First Class troysheets2001@yahoo.com's Avatar
    Depriest has expressed interest in doing Joe Haslab projects.

I liked the DTC line & I liked the fact that you could buy them one at a time, if you desired to do so; You didn’t have to go all in. Not only did the DTC line do single carded figures, they also did some nice subteam 6 packs.

I honestly haven’t read a bad idea on here yet. I wish Depriest and the powers that be would read this forum and take some polls. When the club ends, and Joe Con ceases to exist, where / what platforms will the fans have to interact with Hasbro R & D? Playing devil’s advocate here, what’s to say by summer 2019, Hasbro has lost all communication with us Joe Fans that spend money? What’s to say by 2020, we aren’t just getting what some board room has decided to issue based on playing it safe or what THEY PERCEIVE to be Joe and not reaching out via crowdsourcing? That would be horrible, but isn’t also possible?
    "A Soldier's Job is to do the impossible and then be forgotten." - Hawk, G.I. Joe #1