Thread: Custom figure stands

Corporal

Custom figure stands

Im looking for someone who can or who knows how I can get names printed on gi joe stands to match my custom figures. I can supply the stands and a list of the figure names, all I need is someone who can print it so it looks like the factory printed stands. If somebody knows someone who can make stickers that match the stands that would work also. Oh almost forgot this is for the modern(25th anniversary) stands.

Okay, so on HT there was guy who wrote a forum on this. He was very detailed with the supplies to purchase, (type of label maker, type of tape, etc). I bought the supplies, (had to get an upgraded label printer, the one he suggested wasn’t made anymore, but that was not a problem). For under $100 I was fully equipped. I have not perfected it yet, but I just haven’t had the time. Painting over the entire stand should be done first as many coated as it take to truly blackout the previous “codename: whoever.”

The next challenge is scoring the label tape so it fits on that slanted panel front of the 25th Anniversary stand. The guy on the forum definitely got the font style and font size correct. You can set the label printer to print only on the top half of the tape, which is already factory scored in the middle. But you still have to use an exacto-knife & ruler, to trim a little more off the top and bottom of the tape before you attempt to put it on your figure stand. I haven’t perfected it yet myself, but I’m getting there. I will tell you that prepping the stand with painting over the existing etched lettering is a big part of the process. Anyone who says you can just scribble over it with a black sharpie or thick marker, is lying to you. That much I have learned for sure.

In today’s world of getting custom tee-shirts printed, jersey numbers sewn into baseball hats at hat stores, etc, I really wish someone would come up with an on-line store where we could all get custom figure stands printed.

You ever see that guy on E-Bay who does the glass etched GI Joe logos stands for ARAH planes and tanks? I wish he could do that for figures too, just not with glass, because that would be too expensive. Even if I had to order new stands for all my displayed figures to keep it uniform I would if someone could do that at the level of quality that guy does it with glass.
    "A Soldier's Job is to do the impossible and then be forgotten." - Hawk, G.I. Joe #1

Also I should mention that if you use Google Search Engine and type in “GI Joe Custom Figure Stands,” the HT forum I talked about above, is like the 5th search result down you will see. It’s the one that specifies the supplies and shows a photo of his custom compared to a Hasbro original 25th Anniversary stand.
    "A Soldier's Job is to do the impossible and then be forgotten." - Hawk, G.I. Joe #1

If you take an exact-o knife and hold the blade perpendicular to the surface, you can scratch the name off the stand pretty easily. I’ve gotten good enough where I don’t even leave knife scratches anymore.
    25% Red Lasers / 25% Blue Lasers / 50% Knowing

Acetone won't get it done?

Abernathy you did not use the guy I gave you the email for? Use to have the handle A1L3YV1P3R2642 on here
    All posts made are not personal, do not read them that way or it will be on you, not me.

Windsor, I tried the guy you gave me, he had fallen on some hard times. He e-mailed me once, and then never again. I emailed him like four more times over a six month period, but he never responded. I told him I’d pay him whatever he needed and I had put a sizeable order in to make it worth his while, but he never got back to me

Dang, sorry to here that. He was a stand up guy as well. Hope he has been able to get his life back on track.
    All posts made are not personal, do not read them that way or it will be on you, not me.

Corporal
    To remove names from stands I have used 600 grit sandpaper, it takes awhile but that works. I might try it with a little paint thinner and see if its any easier.