Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rookie GIJoeCon Attender In Need of Advice

Private First Class

Rookie GIJoeCon Attender In Need of Advice

This is my first ever GIJoe Convention. My wife will be joining me. I have a few questions that I hope all of you can answer.

1. What is a typical schedule for the Convention? What does a typical day "look like?" How long do most days last (Would we be done around 4PM? 6PM?)?

2. What are the "must see/do" things at the Convention?

3. What typically takes place on Sunday? We live 7 hours away and will be driving. I need to plan out this day so that I do not miss out if I need to leave the convention early to get home.

4. Is there usually a "re-flocking" service at the Convention?

5. Is there anything else I should know that I am not asking?

Thank you so much!
    Last edited by calebjrowe@gmail.com; 03-16-2018 at 09:48 AM. Reason: Added detail to question

Captain Matthew.stoops@wmich.edu's Avatar
    There's a schedule of the "special events" as far as I know. Like the para-drop and the Panel, and the autographs, but there's no "Shopping from 12-3" kinda thing.

The Convention floor is set up orderly, everyone stays in their booth, feel free to roam around, buy whatever. The Club generally has their own store set up with a selection of their stuff.

I don't know about a reflocking service, I doubt it, because it generally A) Takes a while B) causes a huge mess and C) is a health hazard to everyone in the room (inhalation of flock fibers can be detrimental to your health if you're not wearing a respirator).

Prepare to spend all the cash you bring with you. I did the one time I went.

Anyone else?
    The tortoise lays on its back, its belly baking in the hot sun, beating its legs, trying to turn itself over but it can't. Not without your help.

But you're not helping.

Private First Class
    Are you going on Sunday only? If so, the convention is over at Sunday around 3-4 pm

I've been a Golden Ticket holder every year since 2013.

If you are a golden ticket holder, you are definitely supposed to be there on Wednesday, to pick up your packages before regular ticket holders. Also, the brochure is at Gijoecon.com for reference. The hotel is probably sold out for that week. The Con starts officially on Thursday, and again, golden tickets have the privilege to pick up before everyone else at the club store.

You'll probably fall under General attendee, but they won't let you go in the floor till like 10 am, Saturday and Sunday. My best advice is to reconsider and get a regular ticket instead of going on Sunday. Hope that helps.

Private First Class
    Thank you.

I have the General's Package and my wife has the American Hero Package. We are attending the entire event, arriving Wednesday evening and learning on Sunday to drive home. That is why I wanted to know what takes place on Sunday in case we needed to leave early.

Private First Class
    You are going to have a blast. My wife went with me on a few and on the first one she noted that she now knows what i looked like when i was 10 at Christmas. it was so exciting waiting in line to pick up that box set, i could hardly stand it. She even went and go me a Crown and Coke to settle me down.

Private First Class hoop.sarge@yahoo.com's Avatar

Joe Con

Last Time I went was in San Jose in 1997, Was not prepared for the Joe overload, but I managed to get the convention set and some other great pieces. I am flying out Thursday from California and looking forward to meeting collectors and finding some treasures.
    Last edited by hoop.sarge@yahoo.com; 03-16-2018 at 10:17 AM. Reason: no quote

Corporal
    This will also be my first convention and I went all out with the golden ticket. I'll be arriving on Wednesday afternoon, taking the customization class on Thursday, I plan on entering the frankenjoe contest, ant taking in as many pannels as I can. I just hope I bring enough money.

Corporal
    Is there a particular time to be there on Wednesday, like morning, afternoon, or evening? Knowing this will help me as I'm driving in from St. Louis as of right now my plan is to be there by check in time at the hotel, which I was told was 3pm, but if I need to be there earlier than that I would love to know.

Private First Class
    I will be coming for the first time as well. I feel like there's really not a schedule that says what happens each day. I see the tours and classes for Wednesday and Thursday but nothing listed for Friday.

If I can't come in until Friday, will I still be able to pick up my stuff?

It would appear that the actual convention begins Friday, but the only hours I can find listed are for Saturday and Sunday.

If anyone has any insight it would be greatly appreciated. I am especially interested in the parachute drop.

Private First Class heathernjohn7@sbcglobal.net's Avatar
    This is also my first JoeCon. If you look at the show archives page, which is a link on the JoeCon 2018 site, then you can look at old Convention sites for all of the prior conventions. They include a link on the main page to "Schedule." That will open a pdf file of the schedule from prior years. Pretty much certain that this year's schedule will be very similar. Here's the archives page link to get you started. http://www.gijoeclub.com/shows.cfm