Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The future of collecting?

The future of collecting?

So it looks like Hasbro is testing a Kickstarter crowd sourced funding project. Check out

They are starting with a popular Star Wars request. Could this be the future of GI Joe collecting?

https://www.hasbrolab.com/ click on link for Hasbro's kickstarter like crowd sourcing site.

It is the tooling costs involved, now we know what a new Terrordrome or Flagg would take as an investment to build the tooling and molds from scratch...
    Last edited by funpubincadmin; 02-19-2018 at 09:50 AM. Reason: Kept your reference link, but removed SW images.

This is a terrible turn of events in my opinion, with Hasbro regularizing us to overpriced "fan demanded" products. I can understand why the Joe Club figures and sets run at a higher price point, but Hasbro should be able to do this without crowdfunding. Can you imagine what this will command on the secondary market for those who don't buy-in now?

I am a huge Joe and SW fan, but I will never start paying $500 plus for crowdfunded products from the company that should be producing these general release retail items. Hasbro should concentrate on getting their almost non-existent products to retail on time and in better numbers that fools errands like HasLab.

Many of the recent Kickstarter projects have much more value that this vehicle. Example: the new WWII set - $699 for an all-in, but there is the potential of receiving over 45 figures and accessory sets if all the stretch goals are met.
    Last edited by kelty11@verizon.net; 02-18-2018 at 12:09 PM.

Sergeant
    The manufacturers (even big ones like Hasbro and Mattel) aren't going to simply bet they can sell enough of an item to turn a profit as they were able to in the past when tooling costs were not so high. The collector community simply has to step up if they want this stuff. If you don't want a Jabba's Sail Barge, or think it's overpriced, just don't buy it and send a message by not doing so.
    Last edited by j_yoders@hotmail.com; 02-18-2018 at 02:18 PM.

I agree with Jyoders, it is happening now. In the case of some of these it is the only way to ever get them, and Mattel is doing it already. Of course, once the molds are created, it does not prevent future rereleases repainted...

Sergeant
    Also, $500? A con set or FSS costs nearly that much these days.

and it shows the tooling costs for new large playsets, $2.5 million sounds about right for something as large as this will be.

Private First Class troysheets2001@yahoo.com's Avatar
    Wonder if they would apply this to Joe to test the waters maybe something smaller to begin with like the killer whale.

Sergeant
    I don't see why Hasbro wouldn't try this approach for Joe projects if they are successful with Star Wars first.

Why do they need to make molds when they can 3D print, toys? It seems to me 3D printing would be way cheaper then making molds. The up front cost might be high for the printers but it would be a good investment for the future.

Sergeant
    I just wouldn't want anything addiitively manufactured. The plastic ones end up with powder lines. Each one will look a little different, too. You can use a lot better plastic with injection molding.