Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: February 2018 updates

Private First Class
    Quote Originally Posted by GIJCC_Staff View Post
    All rooms are sold out at the Staybridge. They don't have anything to add to the block.

The Sarge will not be at the show as this is a contractual issue. We can't use his likeness.
    Isn’t it a little late now to say you can’t use his likeness or that he won’t be a guest at the show? You said Sgt Smasher (the foreign release of Slaughter) would be in the box set which led people to believe his likeness could be used. Perhaps, you should have been clear about these things *before* we bought out the box set.

Please don’t quote me as the forum reveals a poster’s email addresses when quoted.

Sergeant
    Yeah, you guys are going to have to address whose likeness Sgt. Smasher will be.

I have to mostly agree with Superjoe74 here. I'm not even attending the convention and suddenly have concerns over this "Sgt. Smasher" figure. While the name is different, the "likeness" (That is to say the image of the figure) is surely that of "Sgt. Slaughter". Now, I also own at least one modern era Sarge, but this feels a little disappointing at least until we see the figure. The fan rage if it is anything other than a "true" Smasher (again a direct repaint of the original Slaughter look) will be absolutely horrifying.

So if he cannot attend and his likeness cannot be used, why use Sgt. Smasher, and not someone like Major Barrage who’s filecard totally fits and makes perfect sense in this scenario and convention story / theme? Or repaint a Viper in Marauder Colors and stick Mercer’s head on it?

Sergeant
    I think we need someone at the Club to address what "likeness" means in this case. If they can do a simple repaint of the already produced likenesses from SDCC then that might be fine. If it's a DIFFERENT HEAD on the same body from the SDCC Slaughters then that's a major problem.

Quote Originally Posted by JYODERS19
    I think we need someone at the Club to address what "likeness" means in this case. If they can do a simple repaint of the already produced likenesses from SDCC then that might be fine. If it's a DIFFERENT HEAD on the same body from the SDCC Slaughters then that's a major problem.
    unless an alternate head is provided, but not advertised, or marketed as... Sort of the way that Wreckage got his Sabertooth stand in the Tiger Force Con set. A way to pay homage, but not offer directly to avoid TM,copyright infringement issues. Of course Robert Remus does own his likeness which makes things stickier than the Wreckage/Sabertooth workaround
    Last edited by rjhiii@sover.net; 02-14-2018 at 11:01 AM.

Sergeant
    unless an alternate head is provided, but not advertised, or marketed as... Sort of the way that Wreckage got his Sabertooth stand in the Tiger Force Con set. A way to pay homage, but not offer directly to avoid TM,copyright infringement issues. Of course Robert Remus does own his likeness which makes things stickier than the Wreckage/Sabertooth workaround
    If the club doesn't have the rights to repaint and reproduce that SDCC figure... why do this set at all?

I would speculate, but we are not suppose to question the tastes, interests or motives of those who may personally wanted these updates. It would be in my opinion the same reason that we have so many post 1990 figures updated before the true run of pre 1990 was finished.

Plus it was a way to give some people one last shot at Footloose, but unless they up the numbers of these sets- those that got shut out of this set might have a better chance finding the original Club Membership figure cheaper...

Private First Class c.j.lloyd1@juno.com's Avatar
    What is the approximate time frame for starting shipments of FSS 7.0? Thanks.

Private First Class
    I've been to a couple of past conventions (Disney in 2004 and Atlanta in 2007), and had a blast. I can't make it to this one, which is a shame seeing as how it is the last one. It would be great, however, to get one of the green t-shirts from the convention. If anyone can pick up an extra one for me, please send me a message. Thanks.