Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Future of G.I. Joe?

Captain

Future of G.I. Joe?

I still fail to see any good reason out there for Hasbro to take back the license from the Club like this right now when the Club is putting out so much great product that fans signal they want by consistently buying it out. Hasbro clearly isn't ready with any new retail product. There wasn't even an SDCC exclusive this year and every indication is that Paramount is nowhere near ready with even a script, let alone a new movie. It really defies explanation.

I read a theory somewhere that whoever owns Hasbro now is anti-gun, anti-military and really doesn’t believe that a character, or toy line, like G.I. Joe has any value for a child’s upbringing in today’s world. And if I remember correctly there was even something in there about it being only for boys and that girls don’t buy the product but if you look at other toy lines like My Little Pony, there are both boys and girls who buy it so it has more overall value to the company. They cited the My Little Bronie conventions as their evidence.

If you look up the current owner of Hasbro he is anti gun and anti military so I could believe it. It wa stated as a theory because Hasbro has never said that publicly, but as any Joe fan has noticed how Hasbro has treated the brand in the last few years, I think it has some merit.
    25% Red Lasers / 25% Blue Lasers / 50% Knowing

Private First Class troysheets2001@yahoo.com's Avatar
    If that’s the case the new tag line will be R.I.P Joe.

If that’s the case, sell it. Sell the property to someone else. Then you’ll never have to worry about answering to critics again about why you support military toys. Let someone else make PS4 and XBox GI Joe Video Games. Let someone else make a great cartoon, let someone else pay Hama to write comics, and let someone else make a live-action GI Joe adult audience show for us grown-ups on HBO or Netflix. Let the franchise flourish under someone else and stop smothering something people care about and will pay money to support. Sell it, make a profit on something you otherwise intend to kill, and wash your hands of it.
    "A Soldier's Job is to do the impossible and then be forgotten." - Hawk, G.I. Joe #1

I agree, it that's true then Hasbro should just sell off it's "violent" properties and concentrate on Stretch Armstrong, MLP, and Nerf (although I fail to see how selling gigantic neon machine guns to children is less problematic.) Additionally, GI Joe is hard to market in our current PC saturated world.

Unfortunately, GI Joe is just dying a slow death. No toys after 12/31/18 (no confidence in Hasbro for 2021; Hasbro used to be able to release nearly 75 Star Wars figures per year, but now they can hardly manage 15); IDW seems to bungling all its Hasbro properties - Hama's Joe is good, but all deluxe HC reprints have seemingly ended. In comparison Marvel and DC seem to be in a mad rush to reprint every comic from 1935 to 2017 in Omnibus format; and Joe was merged into the spectacular failure of the Hasbroverse.

We may complain about removable helmets and such on club figures, but we will all sorely miss the GIJCC next year. I still think Hasbro should have extended the license until 2022, as I don't believe its existence would have imperiled the Movie audience (or lack thereof).
    Last edited by kelty11@verizon.net; 08-13-2018 at 10:15 AM.

I agree 100% with what LKelty has said. Nerf is just, if not more so, violent in image than the JoeVerse. Nerf lets you shoot your buddies with the guns while wearing stylized armor. The Joes and Cobras are just fantasy military figures that really don't have any ability to harm. I mean unless you count a possible choking hazard. There are also multiple other companies that I'm sure would jump at the chance to acquire the property.

Captain
    If they don't believe in the property, though, why are they partnering with Paramount, again, to develop yet another movie? DePriest has said that's what's going to happen. I, for one, would LOVE to see Hasbro drop Paramount and have some other film studio develop a GI Joe movie because the first two with Paramount haven't really worked.

I, for one, would LOVE to see Hasbro drop Paramount and have some other film studio develop a GI Joe movie because the first two with Paramount haven't really worked.
    Agree 100%, I would like to see MARVEL studios take a crack at the Hasbro shared Universe and then it could be an alternate to the MCU with the MARVEL easter eggs being planted. In my world, GI Joe is the codename for the Fury Force. Having J Jonah Jamenson, or Spiderman in the background, or Stark Industry weapons show up would be a great nod to the Easter eggs in the MARVEL run of GI Joe, plus ROM, Micronauts, Visionaries, and Transformers all had their success as MARVEL runs of comics... Only MASK (formerly a D.C. property) does not have a MARVEL connection.

http://gijoe.wikia.com/wiki/Metal-He..._Comics_issue)
    Last edited by rjhiii@sover.net; 08-13-2018 at 07:51 AM.
    All posts made are not personal, do not read them that way or it will be on you, not me.

I would love for Marvel/Disney to re-acquire the rights to various Hasbro properties: better movies, Hasbro would be forced to produce toys (distribution would still be lousy), but most importantly, Marvel Comics would release GI Joe and Transformers comics in their beautiful omnibus format and we'd get new Joe comics from top (and probably awful) creators at Marvel.

Captain
    I would welcome new Hasbro licenses for Marvel/Marvel Studios but that doesn't seem like it's going to happen under the current leadership at Hasbro. The Transformers movies are a huge moneymaker for both Hasbro and Paramount and, while they haven't done as well with GI Joe, it'd be highly surprising if they scrapped the current IDW licenses and went with Disney, a company that is a direct competitor of Paramount, while still working with Paramount on new Transformers movies. Joe is, in that regard, a victim of Transformers' success.
    Last edited by j_yoders@hotmail.com; 08-13-2018 at 03:45 PM.