Page 17 of 37 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast

Thread: 2018 GIJoeCon Discussion

I was really hoping for the reveal for today to be posted early, then I realized it is the Python Patrol side and well I can wait for those...lol! Looking forward to Spirit (and the Head sculpt choice in particular)

Private First Class gijoeguru@yahoo.com's Avatar
    I just booked my lodging with www.airbnb.com got a deal for $35/night down town Chattanooga. So that just means that I'm saving money on a bed and putting it toward exclusives from the club

Corporal
    I really hope the Sarge can come! That would be awesome. One of my childhood heroes for sure.
    They just announced on the February update no Sergeant Slaughter since his name can't be used due to contractual obligations.

Banned
    Could Robert Remus come and not Sgt. Slaughter? I would LOVE to meet Robert Remus!

Banned
    I looked on AirBnB, and didn't find too many options. Are you right downtown near the CC?

I just booked my lodging with www.airbnb.com got a deal for $35/night down town Chattanooga. So that just means that I'm saving money on a bed and putting it toward exclusives from the club

That Python Laser Viper looks incredible. Best figure revealed so far.

Banned
    I really hope the Sarge can come! That would be awesome. One of my childhood heroes for sure.
    The way I understand the likeness issue is that the real life Sgt. Slaughter, Robert Remus, and his agents and managers were approached by Hasbro to become a Joe and have his figure, in his likeness, mass produced as a figure and work as a voice actor on the Sunbow cartoon. WWF was not a party to any of these discussions and was miffed that they didn't get a cut and Remus didn't immediately involve them. That's why Remus/Slaughter left the WWF in the '80s and went to the AWA, which didn't care what deals he cut for his likeness, because he honestly wanted to do it and didn't want to cut the McMahons in on his deal.

After Joe was winding down in the early '90s Remus/Slaughter sent a letter to Vince McMahon asking to come back to the WWF and that's when his heel turn as an Iraqi sympathizer happened and he also won the WWF championship. One of the conditions of his return, supposedly - all of this is only what I've read in newspaper and magazine reports - was that he signed over any future likeness or name deals over to WWF/E so long as he remained in their employ in any capacity. He's been employed by them in some capacity ever since whether it was as a wrestler, a TV commissioner role or a "legends" contract player who just agrees to show up every once inawhile for Hall of Fame inductions and whatnot. You'll notice he's appeared several times in WWF/E licensed merchandise. I don't know how the ME Slaughter's that were sold at SDCC got approved but SURELY, if those were allowed, a simple repaint for "Sgt. Smasher" would have to be, right?

One of Remus' matches in the AWA against the junior senator from California. Notice that he is wearing the EXACT outfit that his GI Joe figure wore. "GI Joe" emblazoned on the sides of his long tights and the "USA" on his green tanktop. He has never worn that outfit in WWF/E.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCjA58_YiQY

Private First Class gijoeguru@yahoo.com's Avatar
    jyoders19 -

The house is about 7 minutes from the Convention Center according to the host. I believe it is just across the river. There wefre tons of places. I put in search by $ amount between $0-$50. There were plenty close by within short driving distance of the Convention.
    Last edited by gijoeguru@yahoo.com; 02-14-2018 at 06:13 PM.

The new reveal is Spirit Iron-Knife w/ Freedom. Spirit looks fantastic. New head sculpt and all.

Corporal
    Well what do you know, Spirit has a new head sculpt. Looks good but the ponytail should be longer.