Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How to Clean Figures

Captain Matthew.stoops@wmich.edu's Avatar
    If they're still supple and stretchy, and not over stretched, I'd say no, but prepare for it.

Buy a few extras to keep around just in case one does break, and you don't want to wait for shipping.
    These go to Eleven...

Take the o ring from a figure to a store like Home Depot or ace hardware and match it up with the size. You can get them in bulk usually at those stores so you always have a stock of O rings.

Corporal iamcanadian@sasktel.net's Avatar
    For cleaning figures use a mild dish soap and warm water, let soak and then use a soft tooth brush for crevasses. Don't rub hard or you'll remove paint.
    Be very careful when retightening screws. The plastic is old and can become quite brittle, I've had torsos and crotches literally explode just by putting them together with a new o-ring. Also be careful to use the same screws that the figure came with. there's different screws depending on the years and using the wrong one can strip the hole, as will over tightening.
    As for o-rings, make sure you have the correct size. There are different sizes for some of the 90's joes. If your o-ring is too tight you can risk shattering torsos and crotches.

I found repair parts at SmallJoes.com. They had O-Rings at Replacement O-Rings. They show them as 3/8", so I went to Lowe's and bought a 10 pack (that's all they had).

Corporal iamcanadian@sasktel.net's Avatar
    I've also had the t-bar break because of the o-ring being too thick as well as being a little tight.

Captain Matthew.stoops@wmich.edu's Avatar
    I've had encounters with rusty screws that loose their thread, so it might also be worth taking a good torso screw and a good leg screw (I think they're different sizes) to a hardware store and see if they have any screws that are small enough.

Again, just in case.
    These go to Eleven...