Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Release date: Gi joe 3

Captain Matthew.stoops@wmich.edu's Avatar
    I set up my own chronology where Joseph D. Colton is a staff sergeant (highest rank attainable based on the stickers that came with the Action Soldier) in WWII. His son, Joseph D. Colton Jr. went to Vietnam in 1964, was accepted to the Green Berets in 1966, pulled for a special project in 1969, and formed the Adventure Team in 1970.

So there's that.

Frankly with all this newfound love for the 80's I think it would be smart to make an honest-to-god ARAH film, set when it's supposed to be, if not just jumping on the 80's bandwagon.
    The tortoise lays on its back, its belly baking in the hot sun, beating its legs, trying to turn itself over but it can't. Not without your help.

But you're not helping.

Captain
    Marvel will never get the GI Joe license for comics or television/film production any time in the next 10 to 20 years. Let's just be realistic here. Hasbro is very much all-in with IDW and Paramount.

Well unless Disney buys Hasbro... to go with their 20th Century Fox , MARVEL, LUCASFILM, etc purchases...

Captain
    Why would Disney even want to buy Hasbro? They already produce their own toys. Quite successful toys. The only synergy is that Hasbro still produces Star Wars toys which are way down from the numbers they produced through an independent Lucasfilm. It's simply too big of a company to just bring on to get the IP from one or two lines of toys. You're talking about millions in production for everything from Nerf blasters to My Little Pony. What's more likely, and that we've discussed here, is the oft-rumored Hasbro-Mattel merger. Two behemoths can more easily eliminate duplication of services and achieve corporate synergy than an entertainment-production-focused company that also makes some toys.

Why would Disney? Because right now Disney licenses out all their merchandise. Plus having one more step in the control of all your properties is not a bad thing. And as you mentioned Hasbro does a lot with Disney toys already so it kind of is a no brainer, plus you get some valuable IP. Including the complete rights back for ROM and the Dire Wraiths which were very integrated into Thor, Guardians of the Galaxy, and Ms. Marvel comics I believe. So much so, that Disney/MARVEL and Hasbro are in a legal battle over the use of the Dire Wraiths. Probably cheaper to just buy Hasbro than to waste money and time on lawyers...

Captain
    Anything that has nothing to do with the Rock as Roadblock, Tyra Collette as Lady Jaye, Dead Channing Tatum Duke and Sienna Miller "Ana Lewis" Baroness would be welcomed by this fan.

" And as you mentioned Hasbro does a lot with Disney toys already" I actually said the exact opposite. That there's no overlap, other than Star Wars, whose Hasbro output has continuously decreased since the merger. I just don't see Dire Wraiths or Rom in Thor movies. Not with lots of Marvel universe properties that could already fill those roles (Brood, Silver Surfer, etc.). Good luck with that merger, thing, though. If it happens, I'd be the first to congratulate them. The "legal battle" is more over whether Disney has the rights to the IP for the Dire Wraiths created by Marvel, back when it was a Hasbro licensee, back in 1979. It's an interesting legal argument because Hasbro is essentially arguing that all work Marvel created for it in the ROM comic book is work-for-hire and, therefore, belongs to the licensor while Disney, which now owns Marvel, is arguing that the Marvel creation should stay with Marvel and its corporate successors. Marvel has fairly consistently been on the other side of the work-for-hire argument. Anyway, I think ANY original group of characters like that from a '70s or '80s Marvel-produced, licensed comic book would be challenged similarly just as a routine matter of protecting IP.

This is the legal document we are talking about, for anyone interested in this stuff: https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/02...ths-trademark/

Oh I know the legal argument and how for years MARVEL hosed Jack Kirby's heirs. And with Rom, Disney's argument is that after Parker Brothers/Palitoy discontinued the ROM line, they continued to use the characters they created continuously. It was until Tonka/Kenner was absorbed by Hasbro that the ROM rights became Hasbro's, and MARVEL's continuous use gave them limited control over the "The Greatest Space Knight-ROM" and the wholly MARVEL created enemies the Dire Wraiths, but that is getting off topic.

Disney does more than Star Wars with Hasbro. Hasbro recently inked the Disney Princesses away from Mattel, and has an agreement for most of the MARVEL MCU toys. Plus licenses for Disney properties aimed at younger kids. In fact, the reason Hasbro had better returns is the Disney licensed agreements
    http://www.licensemag.com/license-gl...s-hasbro-dolls

http://www.nasdaq.com/article/hasbro...ships-cm744238

Also, Disney needs toys to tie into their media initiatives to keep kids interested. Owning a toymaker makes sense, especially when it comes with additional IP that Disney can utilize through its Brands. Something to be said for having complete streamlined control...

Private First Class
    I hope the new movie introduces new Joes. I like the Rock as an actor, but he does not play a good Roadblock.

Private First Class ChadExcitement@aol.com's Avatar
    Whatever it amounts to, I own the entire comic runs of the original GI Joe ARAH, Micronauts & Rom, but I guess I'm just a jerk that expects too much. I've been a club member since 2002 when they did the Crimson O-Ring Set.

Private First Class
    Thinking about it more, the best film they can do it to start from Day 1 of the original 13 ARAH. Run through an Issue #1 style story really showcasing the original characters. Almost Half of the lineup were given very little characterization over the years by comics, cartoons and movies: Zap, Short Fuse, Grandslam, Grunt, Flash, and Steeler. They are blank slates for the writers to take where ever they want to.

You also keep the popular 7 from that group, (Stalker, Scarlett, Snake-Eyes, Hawk, Clutch, Rock-n-Roll, and Breaker) to pull in the 80's fans.