Thread: Scarlett's Strike Force Cancelled

Private First Class

Scarlett's Strike Force Cancelled

Well, Scarlett's Strike Force, we hardly new ya!

Somehow missed by me until today, the following article was published that explains how the new Joe Comic title was cancelled before the 1st issue hit the street!

https://www.cbr.com/idw-cancels-gi-j...y-controversy/

I wasn't fond of the art or the story on the previous book (and quit reading it about 4 issues in), and therefore wasn't planning on getting this one. However, the writer's statements and views over the past 3 months guaranteed that I wouldn't buy it. While the writing of the article is slanted to the writer's behalf, I feel like the majority of Joe fans spoke out against him, not a vocal minority like the article alleges. Specifically they spoke out with their wallets, and therefore driving orders so low, IDW was forced to listen.

Corporal
    Majority spoke out, CORRECT!

This slanted article leaves out the big "F U" Sitterson dropped on people, doubling down on his ignorant 9-11 comments.

Private First Class
    I didn’t agree with what he said, but I don’t deny his right to say it. I think maybe some people might have forgotten that during this whole ordeal. I mean, how many times did Larry Hama mention that in the original comic? We may not agree with what is said, but he has every right to say it. Do I agree with it? No. But he has every right to say it. In my opinion, he only went wrong by attacking back at the people who would be buying his book. It is what it is, and I hope IDW can find someone else and a better plot line in order to continue their specific Joe universe.

I’m very proud of the Joe Community for coming together to not buy this book. It wasn’t a minority it was the majority, and rarely do you see any fandom unite like that. I found his comments personally insulting but it wasn’t freedom of speech that upset everyone, as much as his decision to try and play a fraudulent ethics violation, claiming we the community were ****phobic, racist, bigots, and that he was a victim of our unethical hate. I don’t want this post edited or deleted by admin for being considered too inflammatory so I’ll supress my own opinions but to say this, his continuing desire to be a martyr and his unprofessional and irresponsible on-going social media rants, post cancellation, will probably make other publishers extremely reluctant to hire him and I couldn’t be happier about that. And to further disprove his comments, we should consider that Larry Hama currently changed the gender and ethnicity of the person wearing the Snake-Eyes uniform and his sales aren’t dropping at all. So apparently we the community aren’t any of the labels Sitterson claimed we were, or we wouldn’t support Hama’s current story arcs, and yet we do. Yo Joe!
    "A Soldier's Job is to do the impossible and then be forgotten." - Hawk, G.I. Joe #1

Hear, Hear! I stopped buying all IDW Hasbroverse books after the writer made his inflammatory statements. I just couldn't support a writer who constantly played the victim after being called out for his comments. I have no problem with writers expressing their opinions, but I don't appreciate those views being forced on the readers. Look at the near sales catastrophe caused by Nick Spencer's overly political Capt. America arcs.

Regarding Larry Hama and the new female Snake-Eyes- you're right, no one batted an eye when the character was changed. However, this just goes to show how masterful a writer Mr. Hama is. Dawn Moreno's story and transition to SE took over a dozen issues and was crafted perfectly. This is what I like to see. What I don't like is characters being changed overnight with little, or no explanation just to appease the SJW crowd (I'm not including the Jane Foster Thor because Jason Aaron is also a master storyteller.
    Last edited by kelty11@verizon.net; 12-22-2017 at 11:36 AM. Reason: Typo!!

Corporal
    I didn’t agree with what he said, but I don’t deny his right to say it. I think maybe some people might have forgotten that during this whole ordeal. I mean, how many times did Larry Hama mention that in the original comic? We may not agree with what is said, but he has every right to say it. Do I agree with it? No. But he has every right to say it. In my opinion, he only went wrong by attacking back at the people who would be buying his book. It is what it is, and I hope IDW can find someone else and a better plot line in order to continue their specific Joe universe.

Yes, he can SAY it.

Yes, I can choose to leave his work in IDW's lap.

Yes, IDW can fire him for alienating Joe fans.

Yes, I can SAY I'm happy about it.

See? Nobody's stoppin' anybody from sayin' anything.

Captain
    One less Sitterson book to not buy.