Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Your first figure...

Captain Matthew.stoops@wmich.edu's Avatar
    Christmas 1965 or 1966. US Army figure. Also received the Green Beret set, Medic set and 5 star jeep that year.
    Sounds like a great Christmas to me. If you got the Green Beret, it was 66, my friend.
    The tortoise lays on its back, its belly baking in the hot sun, beating its legs, trying to turn itself over but it can't. Not without your help.

But you're not helping.

Private First Class
    Duke and Firefly. As a kid (5-6), I had a quarter every morning that I made up my bed. Every 3-4 weeks, I got a new figure.

Private First Class tjandmatt@hotmail.com's Avatar
    It was a straight-arm Stalker from a five and dime in New Jersey.

Private First Class
    My first Joe was a fuzz-head Man of Action with Kung-Fu grip back in 1974! He came in his green BDUs.

Private First Class
    Duke was my first character.

Private First Class etquick2003@yahoo.com's Avatar
    Mine was..... Ready for it... Tele Viper! I was a Star Wars kid and when that line ended I thought my friend's Joe stuff was really cool so I asked for any gi Joe figure for Christmas and that was what I got. It kicked off my joe habit. Er, collection.

I couldn't quite pin down an exact Joe as my absolute first, but my earliest ones to memory, were Range Viper, Saw Viper, and Overlord. Range Viper I recall playing with for a very short time because I lost all his weapons and then my brother broke him, because he liked to twist the upper torso on all my Joes so they could super punch other figures, but that often led to the O-rings snapping. He also liked to take them apart with a screw driver since he was about 12 or 13 at the time, and I was about 3 or 4 years-old. Saw Viper had a similar fate, except I stuck his machine gun into a vent in my Grandma's house and lost it, then after that everything is foggy on what happened to him, but I assume he was broken by either my brother or cousin, who also liked to break Joes, but was my same age. And as for Overlord, I broke his Dictator after getting him for Christmas, then lost his helmet and claws. He floated around for a few years after that with no accessories or vehicle, but that didn't make me want to play with him so much after that. Eventually he went missing from my toys and he went full MIA.

Private First Class
    My first were 2 Action Soldiers in 1964/65. My Dad was an MP in the Army and was a bodyguard(?) to General Stillwell in Burma so my first set or sets was all the MP gear. I then got the Bivouac, Beachhead, and others. My Dad made my own footlocker which held 2 Joes perfectly with all their gear, and I still have all the stuff. One of the original 2 is dressed in the MP gear from the 40th series as the old stuff stays in the footlocker. He is positioned on my fireplace mantle. A 40th anniversary is also positioned on the mantle in his Marine gear to honor the service of my wife's son as he was in the Marines. I am now working on a 40th Sailor as my boys other grandfather served in the Navy.

Private First Class
    Sounds like a great Christmas to me. If you got the Green Beret, it was 66, my friend.
    I would have been 5 y/o Christmas of 1966 so that makes sense. Thanks.