Thread: Operation Highland Ghosts: LRRP Vietnam, 1966

Captain Matthew.stoops@wmich.edu's Avatar

Operation Highland Ghosts: LRRP Vietnam, 1967

A Song Pairing for this photoset: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aVgo...ARzAXI&index=7

A CIA spook by name of 'Anderson' (likely cover name) gathered us all together. Orders from the top apparently. The purpose of this trek into the Highlands? Not entirely sure myself.

All kinds of top secret, the kind of op that really bugs me. No patches, no chevrons, no name tape.

Don't know this guy's name. He's Japanese, in the ARVN. I've seen him around. Good soldier.

That's me. My superiors say I'm one of the best.
    Last edited by Matthew.stoops@wmich.edu; 09-05-2017 at 08:05 PM.
    These go to Eleven...

Ryan. I feel like he won't be going home. Good soldier though. Really enthusiastic about that Thumper he's got.

Don't know this guy's name either. He's really spooky. He was with Anderson when they recruited me. I figure he's from another three letter, one I've never heard of.

Samuel Greer. Medical doctor. Pacifist at heart, but the US Army made him pick up a pig.

Riley Stone. Unfortunately I don't think he'll make it either. He's a little sloppy.
    These go to Eleven...

Clint McTavish. Our Radioman. Darn Fine Soldier.

Joseph Colton (Jr.). He's a Green Beret, plucked especially for this op. He's a great guy, great soldier. His Dad's a WWII Vet, currently a Colonel or something.

As I said, I have no idea why we're going where we are. Pretty sure we crossed over into Laos a couple klicks ago.

Charlie out of nowhere. Can't see him. We shoot in the general direction, hope we hit something. The definition of 'spray and pray.'
    These go to Eleven...

These go to Eleven...

Staff Sergeant Colton Speers, 50th Infantry Division.
    These go to Eleven...

Nice choreography sir. YoU will be happy when the new club magazine arrives at your door. It's dedicated totally to the 12" collectors this month.
    "A Soldier's Job is to do the impossible and then be forgotten." - Hawk, G.I. Joe #1

What is "Highland Ghosts?" No one will tell me.

Personal Journal Extraction

Subject: SSgt. Colton Speers
    9-18-1967

Property of the Central Intelligence Agency

EYES ONLY

SECURITY CLEARANCE A-1-B

I woke up in an army hospital. A piece of paper pinned to my shirt says "Battle Fatigue (Memory Loss)."

I'm trying to think, what the most recent thing I remember is. I remember the surprise attack by Charlie, but not much after that.

I looked around me at the hospital, and I saw the Jap ARVN, Sam Greer, Clint McTavish, and Joe Colton. They were all asleep, and they all also had a piece of paper pinned to their shirt that read the exact same thing that mine did.

Curiouser and curiouser.

I saw that black-haired spook outside. I chased him out, but I lost him behind a column of Deuce and a halfs. Damn.

I started asking around, no one knows anything about 'Highland Ghosts," and the Officers either say it doesn't exist, or they don't know what it is either. Added note: No one knows anything about Riley Stone, or that guy Ryan. I've asked everyone that would know that. They tell me there's no enlistment records for those two.

And a few pages of my journal are missing. Torn out, starting at possibly the end of Sept. 5, or the beginning of Sept. 6. It's the 18th right now.

Like I said, the kind of op I really don't like. Because I'm missing a week and a half, because I went on an op that 'doesn't exist.' I bet that black haired spook has everything to do with it, too.

Ssgt. Colton Speers, 50th Infantry Division.
    These go to Eleven...

Really enjoying this. The choreography is perfect for the captions.
    "A Soldier's Job is to do the impossible and then be forgotten." - Hawk, G.I. Joe #1

Love your work on all of this, Raven! So fun! Keep it up, brother!!
    (All respects to Mr Carlin) Things you'll never hear a Joe say:
    Hand me that VAMP.
    Do what you want to the civilian, but leave me alone!