Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: SDCC at Hasbro Toy Shop

SDCC at Hasbro Toy Shop

So anyone that spent the day F5'ing the Hasbro Toy Shop was met with a big surprise. At 2 pm the exclusives went live, by 2:20 the first item had sold out (probably earlier but delayed because of heavy web traffic) amongst some mini crashes and delays. The first item to sell out? The Cobra Missile Command Center with the Red logo "Mickey Mouse" Cobra Commander, Cobra Trooper and Cobra Officer. The second thing to sell out? The Revolution Mega set, then followed shortly afterwards by the TRANSFORMERS Primitive Optimus Prime. Everything else is still in stock. So what does this say? It says that GI Joe has a ravenous base that swarmed as soon as the items went live, it means there is still a demand for GI Joe products, and that the "old Joe" was the first to sell out. That is right, the vintage update in the ME sculpt sold out first, then the missing "piece" of the Renegades line accompanied by the Revolution relaunch sold out. This shows that GI Joe has a market, a market that Hasbro had capitalized on with the 25th Anniversary figures, but cut off at the knees with the movie figure line. Instead of continuing with a limited 25th Anniversary line with the ROC figures, they focused on the Movie figures that were not selling. Instead of selling what people know, they were selling something unrecognizable to the fan, something they could not connect with. Worse, they were trying to sell to a new generation, who also had no relevant knowledge of the line or the characters so it failed. GI JOE did not fail, Paramount/Hasbro failed GI Joe and the results of the SDCC exclusive sellouts prove it...

Sergeant
    I have written three messages to HasbroToyshop.com support already about this debacle. Why was no time given to the general public so we would know when to attempt to purchase them? I used both the chatbot and sent e-mail messages asking when they would go onsale to Hasbro around 9AM central this morning. I got nothing from the chatbot and THIS is the message I received AFTER they had sold out.

Hi there,

Thank you for reaching out to us and your interest in purchasing our products. The SDCC items went up for sale today around 2 Pm EST. Unfortunately, we are not aware of when these SDCC exclusive items will be back in stock, however, you can check back daily at HasbroToyShop.com to see if the item is back in stock. We cannot guarantee that this will happen, nor can we give any estimates as to when this may happen. We do apologize for any inconvenience that this may cause you.

We greatly appreciate your business. If you have additional questions, please visit our website, www.HasbroToyShop.com, or contact our Customer Service Center via e-mail at CustomerService@HasbroToyShop.com or phone at 1-800-408-0052 8am – 8 pm EST and Saturdays 10am – 6:30pm EST.
    Sincerely yours,

Fabio
    Hasbrotoyshop.com Customer Service

Yeah, that is NOT good customer service. So, I'm not a happy camper right now when it comes to Hasbro and what they did with these exclusives. It's almost like they're setting the sale precisely so that only scalpers will get any. Very, very frustrating and, I hope, not a harbinger of what things will be like when Hasbro takes the license back from Fun Publications. Such crap.

You have the same experience as I had with my very first experience with Hasbro Toy Shop SDCC exclusives. Pretty much got the same canned answer about not having that information, etc. Yes, they set it up for the scalpers to some extent, but at least they limited it to two this time. In years past there was either no limit , or the limit was 10. Sorry you got screwed on this.

Corporal iamcanadian@sasktel.net's Avatar
    I'm glad I went with my gut and got a couple off eBay.
    If they're holding some back for Hascon then HTS would have been severely shorted on them. Who knows, they may have some left after Hascon.

I was messing around the site and was able to get revolution set only yesterday. I tried to use promo codes but no luck when I asked they said promo codes don't work for exclusive

I was messing around the site and was able to get revolution set only yesterday. I tried to use promo codes but no luck when I asked they said promo codes don't work for exclusive

Sergeant
    I got one Cobra Missile Command Center off the bay, but I'd really like to have one to display and one to just keep in the box. We'll see if anything comes up.

I would go DJ Toys method for display.

Private First Class ChadExcitement@aol.com's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rjhiii@sover.net View Post
    This shows that GI Joe has a market, a market that Hasbro had capitalized on with the 25th Anniversary figures, but cut off at the knees with the movie figure line. Instead of continuing with a limited 25th Anniversary line with the ROC figures, they focused on the Movie figures that were not selling. Instead of selling what people know, they were selling something unrecognizable to the fan, something they could not connect with. Worse, they were trying to sell to a new generation, who also had no relevant knowledge of the line or the characters so it failed. GI JOE did not fail, Paramount/Hasbro failed GI Joe and the results of the SDCC exclusive sellouts prove it...
    This is about as good a quote as I've seen on this site. The 25th line was exceptional and I met old Joe fans everywhere I went looking for the figures. They thought they could take the momentum from the relaunch of the old line and turn it into a mass market Hollywood production. I did not go to see either film in the theater and like many others I was not pleased with the movie toy lines. I'm still bitter we didn't get the figures from the "Cobra Island" packs on card. We were getting all those great figures for $5-7 a piece and now it's almost $30 a pop for FSS figs and $40 for almost any convention figs. I respect the club for making the figures they have, but Hasbro could have made this so much easier for all of us just by continuing the 25th modern era line the way it was going.

This sequence just supports the theory that Hasbro hasnt really decided what to do with the Joe line. I might sound like the devils advocate here but this is where I'm at. It has been rotated out of their production for a couple years while Hasbro figures that out and Fun Pub makes some product for them. Really boils down to franchise movies right now. Joe doesn't have a movie to support mass production and most of their flagship franchises do. Resources are diverted to what has movies so they are not focusing much on Joe. If a movie comes along in two years that could be a good thing. The ROC line was putrid but there was some really cool stuff that came with Retaliation that were vintage updates. I think Hasbro gets that vintage styles work (reference vintage style Star Wars packaging returning next year). It's just that stockholders and stock analysts want to see hot movies capitalized on and there are so many that HAsbro needs to wait for Joe's turn. I don't like it but frankly with all that Fun Pub said they will bring in the next two years I'm not sure how many dollars I'll have left for retail product. It's just not what is in front of my two boys and they will only collect the absolute coolest Joe things, and won't get into the 80s cartoon, just maybe the comic. There is half a generation like me too, it can be seen in where they are spending money. Not ideal but it's what is going on.