Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hasbro's Derryl Depriest Updates on Brand

I agree. I just couldn't get into the ROC products. Some of the Retaliation figures were pretty good though.

Some of the ROC figures were good, and now they command good dollars as well on the secondary market as fans are rediscovering that the figures were not god awful like the movie. I agree we need Fun Pub...

Sergeant
    When they say "big, global and here to stay" and "our partner is Paramount" it sounds very much like the property VERY much depends on Paramount's development and release schedule... which in turn depends on whoever paramount hires to write and develop the film. Seems like a lot to expect in the next two years is all I'm saying.

I agree since Paramount does not make good movies in the least.

Is that writer's room headed by the guy that wrote, "A beautiful mind," still The script team in place? Or has that changed too?
    "A Soldier's Job is to do the impossible and then be forgotten." - Hawk, G.I. Joe #1

Private First Class wrxotic02@gmail.com's Avatar
    I feel like our only hope for a good movie is if the rumor from a few years ago were to happen. Disney buys Hasbro so they don't have to pay someone else to make their toys. Then hopefully GI Joe would be rolled back into the Marvel Universe hopefully getting someone from Marvel Studios to do a GI Joe movie.

Private First Class
    Not sure what there is to discuss here, other than G.I. Joe ARAH (in toy form) will end when the club ends it's run next year. The next incarnation of G.I. Joe could be as unrecognizable to me as ARAH was to AT collectors in 1982.

I'm glad I signed up for the last FSS!

KordR,

I hope it isn't unrecognizable, but I fear you may be right. If they make Salvo a fat, unfit "4F," for duty female like they did in their latest unrecognizable relaunch of Joe, or Rock N Roll is wearing sweat pants and chuck Taylor converse sneakers, then we are in a for a predictable disappointment. Hasbro needs to stop reinventing GI Joe, and just hire writers with a working knowledge of world history and current events to write good stories and be unapologetic about the fact that these are military toys and characters set in a world where different forms of terrorism exist, and different people with different ideologies, band together with different skill sets, to fight for freedom where ever there's trouble.
    "A Soldier's Job is to do the impossible and then be forgotten." - Hawk, G.I. Joe #1

Captain Matthew.stoops@wmich.edu's Avatar
    Except people don't want that. That's "offensive."

This happened in the 60's and we got the Adventure Team out of it. I'm not saying we're going to get that again, or even anything good, but this is not the first time this has happened.
    These go to Eleven...

Sergeant
    From everything I've heard, which is probably no more than you have, the overall Hasbro Universe writer's room is still in operation but I have heard NOTHING come out of it other than it was assembled and being overseen by Akiva Goldsman. The one good thing I did hear about it is that Michael Chabon is in it and if he has a hand in "reinventing" GI Joe then it might have a chance at being faithful to what came before as his book "The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Klay" is a very faithful reimagining of the birth of the Marvel Universe.

http://variety.com/2016/film/news/ha...rs-1201758497/