Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Hasbro's Derryl Depriest Updates on Brand

Private First Class sheila4420@hotmail.com's Avatar
    KordR,

I hope it isn't unrecognizable, but I fear you may be right. If they make Salvo a fat, unfit "4F," for duty female like they did in their latest unrecognizable relaunch of Joe, or Rock N Roll is wearing sweat pants and chuck Taylor converse sneakers, then we are in a for a predictable disappointment. Hasbro needs to stop reinventing GI Joe, and just hire writers with a working knowledge of world history and current events to write good stories and be unapologetic about the fact that these are military toys and characters set in a world where different forms of terrorism exist, and different people with different ideologies, band together with different skill sets, to fight for freedom where ever there's trouble.
    Very well said Abernathy!

Thank you, I wrote that post a while ago, but now in light of Aubrey Sitterson's recent anti-American comments, the ball is really in Hasbro's court. Obviously this isn't the forum to go off about that, but I'm pretty sure the Nation that wept after 9/11, and all Army National Guardsmen, Firefighters, and Cops from outside of NYC who rushed their to assist their exhausted NYC brethren, apparently aren't allowed to comment on or feel sad in remembrance of the event. By Sitterson's logic all the soldiers from outside of NY apparently weren't allowed to be fueled by emotion in their relentless pursuit of Bin Laden either I guess. And Springsteen should never have written "The Rising," about the aftermath either. Ridiculous, I hope Hasbro & IDW remove him immediately. It's time for GI Joe to be GI Joe. If you don't like it, don't read it. It's a military book about fighting those who oppose freedom and human rights all over the world.
    "A Soldier's Job is to do the impossible and then be forgotten." - Hawk, G.I. Joe #1

Sergeant
    I will never buy another IDW book, period, unless Aubrey Sitterson is fired.

I will not be reading any new Joe/Hasbro books from IDW. However, I will keep reading Larry Hama's Joe because he at least has class and respect for the franchise. Just read ARAH 155 and you will understand his respect for the military and military families.

I know Joe is fantasy, but I do like it to be reality based. Your comments about Salvo are very true. I don't think the military would let anyone so unfit serve in a special forces team like Joe. Also, the new Rock N Roll seems like a washed-up druggie to me.

I think I've said this before, but The Hurt Locker and Zero Dark Thirty were better "GI JOE" movies than the official installments.

Private First Class lukeruzinsky@gmail.com's Avatar
    Well I guess we will have to wait for the next movie (or anniversary if it takes that long). I really hoped that the Fun Pub contract would be extended. Well nothing is written in stone you know.

Official Statement from IDW:

“It has come to our attention that a freelance comic book writer, whose work includes IDW titles, has expressed opinions on his personal social media account that many find insensitive, divisive, and inflammatory.

IDW in no way condones or supports these personal opinions whatsoever, and recognizes the pain they may cause our readers.

Discussions regarding next steps are underway. We appreciate the patience and understanding of our many fans while these concerns are being addressed.”

So now we wait and see. C'mon IDW / Hasbro, do the right thing, we're counting on you. Yo Joe!
    "A Soldier's Job is to do the impossible and then be forgotten." - Hawk, G.I. Joe #1

Private First Class timgetshismail@gmail.com's Avatar
    On the last-spoken topic, I bought the first four issues of Aubrey Sitterson's series for $5.00 on eBay just as he said his horse**** statements, so when I got them I was apprehensive. Remove the insensitive buffoonery he said, you still have a poorly-written series and an insult to the franchise. I got them yesterday, and haven't made it past the first issue due to how bad it all is paced and how the Transformer was used as an EASY BUTTON to stop those mutated ninjas. Snake-Eyes was an absolute afterthought and eclipsed by the big Autobot. Terrible. I will not continue to purchase anything IDW until Sitterson is removed, also. I know there are far more qualified writers out there with greater respect to the franchise and fans than this jackwagon. (I realize that I want to call him such stronger names, but since this is family-friendly, I need to keep it appropriate)

Taking the Transformer's franchise media model ...

Preschool kids: "Live the Adventure" - GI Joe Adventure Team vs the fantastic, extraterrestrial, and more supernatural. A colorful cartoon series in the tone and tenure as the Transformers "Rescue Bots" or MARVELS "Super Hero Squad" Drawn in the cartoonish style of the Combat Heroes line seen here.

This would be mostly focused on the Adventure Team, but also serve as an introduction of individual characters from the ARAH line, treated as "guest stars" (see old Scooby Doo episodes)This would be a new cartoon series aimed specifically at younger kids the way the Rescubots and SHS are.

Kids 6-10: GI JOE "Action Force"
    A Real American Hero style cartoon, classic over the top plans with good triumphing over evil and no one dies. Classic characters, appearing newly imaged with a change in ranks, introducing the next line of Joes from the Adventure Team into the ARAH line.

kids 10+ GI Joe: America's Finest- Solid PG show more in the style of GI Joe Resolute and following Larry Hama's ARAH MARVEL type storylines.

So will this happen? Nope, because from what I have seen with Revolution comics they want to be politically correct, preachy and indoctrinate "alternative acceptances".
    This is fantastic. It combines the marketing of getting kids while they're young (how many of us were under the age of 5 when they became hooked on G.I. Joe??), and instills brand interest and loyalty throughout adolescence and up. This is absolutely what I feel should be done.

I think it would be fantastic if Disney bought Hasbro and takes the movie reins from Paramount and does a better job at it with the movies. Retaliation was far better than ROC, but still generic and left a bad taste in everyone's mouths.

Take what Marvel is doing with their movies compared to DC... What do you folks think, would you rather have a Marvel-colored style to G.I. Joe, where it is humor-filled and bright and flashy? Or would you prefer DC's grimdark feel that they've done with BvS and Justice League? I'm not including Wonder Woman in that because I felt they did very well with the style of the movie.
    Last edited by timgetshismail@gmail.com; 09-17-2017 at 06:28 PM. Reason: Didn't mean to include the pics for quote reference

Please note that this thread has veered way off-topic and is now closed for drifting into forum guideline violations.