Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Hasbro's Derryl Depriest Updates on Brand

Sergeant
    Definition: Challenger Brands are those owned or controlled Hasbro brands which have not yet achieved Franchise Brand status, but which the Company believes have the potential to do so over time with investment and further development.

Taking the Transformer's franchise media model ...

Preschool kids: "Live the Adventure" - GI Joe Adventure Team vs the fantastic, extraterrestrial, and more supernatural. A colorful cartoon series in the tone and tenure as the Transformers "Rescue Bots" or MARVELS "Super Hero Squad" Drawn in the cartoonish style of the Combat Heroes line seen here.

This would be mostly focused on the Adventure Team, but also serve as an introduction of individual characters from the ARAH line, treated as "guest stars" (see old Scooby Doo episodes)This would be a new cartoon series aimed specifically at younger kids the way the Rescubots and SHS are.

Kids 6-10: GI JOE "Action Force"
    A Real American Hero style cartoon, classic over the top plans with good triumphing over evil and no one dies. Classic characters, appearing newly imaged with a change in ranks, introducing the next line of Joes from the Adventure Team into the ARAH line. Keeping the characters colorful and "unique" looking with a sense of Military styling. Storylines from spying/james bond esq, to Ninjas, but more grounded storylines. No Cobra La, no over the top supernatural. The show begins with the formation of the GI Joe team taking the "guest stars" of the preschool show and creating the team we know and love. The Adventure Team taking a back seat, but appearing from time to time as the "guest stars"

However the enemy may be "human", it is not just One group of bad guys. It is Cobra, the Iron Grenadiers, SKAAR, Red Shadows, and all of the above as separate factions all being controlled/financed by someone hidden in the Shadows. Cobra Commander, Baron IronBlood, Destro, Iron Klaw all think that the unknown "financier" is a partner, they do not realize he is controlling them for his own gain and reasons to dominate the world, slowly they are being brought together to become one all powerful organization.

kids 10+ GI Joe: America's Finest- Solid PG show more in the style of GI Joe Resolute and following Larry Hama's ARAH MARVEL type storylines. Here the bad guy pulling the strings has united the factions for the sole purpose of ruling the world. Characters die, cities fall, the show would be told in serial format building to the next episode in 5-7 show story arcs that combine into one larger story ending with the fall of the puppet master, and the splintering of the factions of evil once again. However, now they are established, well financed, well armed and the power struggle for control, sets off an internal Civil War that threatens civilized nations around the globe. Who can stop these warring factions... This is also where I would bring back some of the more Sci Fi aspects and hint/ set up the Crossovers in the "Hasbro Universe"

In all three levels the character's development would stay the same. The funny characters would be funny, the tough guys would be tough, color, gender, etc would all be based on the original characters introduced and their personalities would follow the Hama/Sunbow personalities established. Duke would be Duke, Salvo would be Salvo, Rock N Roll would be Rock n Roll. New characters, or people sharing the same code names would be treated as new characters. Dialtone 2 would still be Dialtone 1's sister, Doc 2 would still be Doc's niece etc. If Salvo were to be reintroduced as a colored woman, that Salvo would have to be explained, as well as what happened to the original Salvo. No indoctrinating politics, like Salvo transitioned because all characters reusing names would be treated as "NEW" characters. The new Salvo might have been, but that does not need to be explained in detail, or more than a passing casual one time mention that most people might miss. It is not a story focal point. That is how I would "re Franchise" GI Joe once you get to the later aged kids, you have versed them in who GI Joe is, and introduced all the elements needed for the Hasbro Cinematic Universe so when it goes to theaters you can do a Real GI Joe movie for the older fans enjoyed by all, or a Hasbro Universe Revolutionary movie that again works. Plus it allows marketing of toys for multiple age groups bringing young fans along through life...

So will this happen? Nope, because from what I have seen with Revolution comics they want to be politically correct, preachy and indoctrinate "alternative acceptances".

Sergeant
    Windsor, is this some kind of a story treatment that Hasbro has shared anywhere? Can you cite the source for this collection of ideas?

I believe this is what Windsor interpretation is based on the transformer model. Well done

No, this is my hypothetical suggestion to fit the franchise model they presented for Transformers. Following their formula, I developed an outline of what could be.

We've weathered years without Joe's in the past. I'm optimistic for the future

Private First Class
    Unfortunately, nothing goes before the movie contained within the shared universe. I have't seen The Last Knight, so this next part might be moot, but . . . .

Based on what we've seen from TF films, perhaps they plan on having N.E.S.T. evolve into G.I. Joe. We could have already seen Stalker (Omar Epps), Hawk (Josh Duhamel) and some of the other original 13 w/ Mark Walburg becoming the new "Joe Colton" character.

However, it wouldn't surprise me if the new Joe is nothing like IDW's current Revolutionaries characters. IDW has said many times in the past, that Hasbro just kind of lets them run with it. They have scrapped story, style, and pace in the past and re-launched with a new "season" (see Chuck Dixon's run to Van Lente to Travis); all were stark departures from the previous. It would make sense that they're just running with minor directions from Hasbro waiting for Hasbro to figure their movie out. Once they do, IDW scraps it's book and starts a new "season" sometime in the future with a theme that looks more like the new movie.

The sad thing is that it'll be a couple years before anything happens, and there will be no Joe until that movie comes out.

Corporal bassistcarlos@sbcglobal.net's Avatar
    So with the shared universe box set out, is it possible we'll get a "Joe scaled" M.A.S.K. line over the next 2 years?

Sergeant
    Exactly. Everything will be dependent on the non-canon films and we'll have a bifurcation like the one that currently exists in the Transformers line. New female anatomy-faced "transformers" for the film audience and third-party and some Hasbro video game product for the 1st gen and "generations" collectors.