Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hasbro's Derryl Depriest Updates on Brand

Hasbro's Derryl Depriest Updates on Brand

Well this is a good interview, although not what we want to hear...
    or what I want to hear... How do we get them to continue the Club License?
    It obviously will not interfere with their "future plans" ...

Hasbro's Derryl Depriest Updates
    Last edited by rjhiii@sover.net; 07-25-2017 at 03:28 PM.

Sergeant
    It's been fun, guys.

Private First Class troysheets2001@yahoo.com's Avatar
    It's like Hasbro does not even want our money anymore.

Sad, but watching some of the other panels it sounds like Hasbro wants to be FunPub- just make products that someone else gives them a license to do. One offs for movies etc.

So I hear them say that about gijoe have they said that with and other properties like transformers mask etc

It's like Hasbro does not even want our money anymore.
    Yes, very sad and depressing interview. I can understand that Joe would probably under-perform without a major media tie-in, but at least let FunPub continue until Hasbro has decided what to do. For example Mattel, has licensed Super 7 to continue making classic MOTU figures while still retaining the license. And believe me, Mattel has not forsaken MOTU and its fans. I don't see how a Joe/Stretch Armstrong/ Visionaries/Play Doh/MLP shared universe will improve matters. I read that Hasbro's profits are tumbling in regards to Star Wars (too many movies, horribly made products, little to no distribution, etc).

Hasbro is establishing a nice track record of poor quality products that you can't even find anyway. At least in the licensed markets category. Marvel Legends 6" might be the only place where they're moderately succeeding in both categories.

DePriest says they won't relaunch until a movie, but want to be around long after a movie, but wants to be clear that the future has no definitive plan. Umm, what? They must have a launch date of 2019, why else expire Fun Pub in 2018? Makes no sense.
    "A Soldier's Job is to do the impossible and then be forgotten." - Hawk, G.I. Joe #1

Sergeant
    There's no launch date. I would suspect that, even if they are working on writing a movie right now, a studio slot might not even open until after 2020. Look at the development hell the Gambit movie is caught in. It could literally be years before a movie is finally written, greenlit and scheduled for production. These are big, tent-pole movies. You can't just shoot one for $50 million based on what a few investors give you.

If you are correct, it would be like a four year empty shelf hiatus before anything else came out. I'm not saying that's impossible, but unlikely. Unless Hasbro actually looks at Fun Pub as competition, which is stupid, and fears Fun Pub would steal
    Sales away? Maybe they want the brand out of sight for a while to make it seem new again when it hits retail? It has to be one of
    Those reasons or else why expire the license with Fun Pub, a company with its finger on the pulse of our desires.
    "A Soldier's Job is to do the impossible and then be forgotten." - Hawk, G.I. Joe #1