Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Idw: Arah #241

I loved Karen Traviss' Joe because it was reality based. No Mutants, brainwave scanners (no offense to Larry Hama), space aliens, secret snake civilizations in the Himalayas. Reminds me of when I thought for a second that "The Hurt Locker" was GI Joe during the trailer!!

I really wish the Joe license would revert to Marvel. Most of their books are terrible at the moment, but Joe could be good under Garth Ennis, Jason Aaron, Cullen Bunn, etc. Plus we'd receive some great Joe Omnibuses (we'd have the whole ARAH series in deluxe oversized format in a little over a year as opposed to IDW's years long release schedule for the Complete Collections).

Agreed, with an *. Most of Marvel's own books stink right now, but their Star Wars stuff is pretty good. I'm sure they could do Joe at least good. I'd still love to see Brandon Jerwa get a chance to come back to Joe as he's said he'd do in a heartbeat. My dream would be Greg Rucka or Ed Brubaker
    "A Soldier's Job is to do the impossible and then be forgotten." - Hawk, G.I. Joe #1

Private First Class
    I thought the Karen Traviss run was a disaster from the get go. I didn't feel like it tied to anything that came before, and felt more like a "What IF?!" or "Elseworlds" story. It was too random and disconnected. I really don't think 12 issues would have improved it. To me, it was the worst of the pre-revolution seasons.

I strongly disagree, but it's not worth the debate, considering the unholy crap they're producing now, our debate would be the battle of who could care less. I don't understand how much longer this will go until IDW pulls the plug. Or maybe Hasbro has them by the balls in contract negotiations. Who knows, but I doubt you can find ten people to disagree that the current run is the worst thing ever produced with the Joe name on it.
    "A Soldier's Job is to do the impossible and then be forgotten." - Hawk, G.I. Joe #1

Arah is okay. Revolution can't read. While I was at comic book store they tried to give another guy revolution Gijoe and he refused

It seems to me that IDW overreached on all its properties. Their licensed comics used to be really good, but now it seems that most of their monthly catalog is pretty bad. Everything is late and I think the art (especially the cover art) has really been suffering over the last year or so.

I think at this point they are just fulfilling their contractual responsibilities with Hasbro. They are either waiting for the Hasbro Universe to officially launch or they will be losing the contract to put out TF, Joe, and others in 2018 or '19.
    Last edited by kelty11@verizon.net; 07-08-2017 at 11:31 AM.

LKelty I have to agree. It's sad, I want to support the brand, but this Joe stuff is unredeable, and it shows the authors are neither fans nor did they do the simple research of reading the on-line available filecards let alone read the best written stuff from the published catalogue.

Corporal
    Cardinal Trooper,
    I absolutely loved Karen Traviss' GI Joe Arc. It was amazing. The thing that upsets me was that she was promised twelve issues, and then told to finish it in four to five less issues. They told her they wanted to go in another direction, but it was over a year before they did another issue. She could have finished her story and they still would have had eight plus months of silence before they relaunched. Karen Traviss really got shafted, and it's a shame because her stuff was street level, reality based, and made the Joes seem real. She was the best joe stuff I've read since Mike Costa and David Lapham.
    Amen, Brother!

Private First Class
    No back to G.I. Joe . . .

Yes, I believe Sneak Peak is really dead this time. I would like to see Larry get back to using some of the more obscure characters mixed in with the classics, like he did with Long Range and Torpedo.

I hate to say it, but maybe Larry needs to go back over his initial run again. This is the second time Zartan has tried to repent to the ninja clan. The first time lead to the death of the Blind Master, if I'm not mistaken . . . I like what he's done, but I think he needs to shift gears.

If Hama could be gently reminded that he's actually writing for the adults who used to be kids, and that we love when he writes from his heart about his military past, that would be great. Because he's brilliant and untouchable when he writes that way. When he writes like he's still trying to sell toys to kids, it's blue Ninja awefulness.