Thread: Looking for advice on making custom head sculpts for vintage 12" figures

Private First Class

Lightbulb Looking for advice on making custom head sculpts for vintage 12" figures

Hi,
    Like many here, I've amassed quite the collection of joes. The other day, I noticed something unusual. All their faces are the same! How did I never notice? I'm an arts-and-craftsty kind of guy, so I'm thinking about dabbling in the science of making some custom heads. I've never really liked any of the custom heads from Cotswold (don't tell them I said so). My two main questions are:

What material would I use for the head plastic that would mimic the softer PVC of the "official" heads?
    What sort of mold would I need to get a head with no seams, against like the "official" heads.

If anyone has any ideas or resources, I'd be thankful for the information.

Many thanks,
    Zac in Portland, OR

Captain Matthew.stoops@wmich.edu's Avatar
    I don't know about what type of plastics you can use to make it, but much like the original Joe sculpt, you can sculpt the head(s) in clay, then cast them with a hobby casting kit from a craft/hobby store.

May look at what this guy does, and try to contact him about materials.

http://flockconcepts.proboards.com/t...rojects?page=1
    The tortoise lays on its back, its belly baking in the hot sun, beating its legs, trying to turn itself over but it can't. Not without your help.

But you're not helping.