Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 2nd Run Figures?

Private First Class
    I mention it earlier, but I still like the idea:

Pick your own 3-Pack (any 3 Club produced figures since 2011, pre-order only)

Private First Class charlesbarry1975@hotmail.com's Avatar
    Carded single figures from the previous Convention Sets would be a great idea. It would definitely help us spruce up our "Joe Rooms".

I'd be happy with more 3-packs. Bring on the troop builders!

Almost all of the convention attendee figures were advertised and labeled as having a specific limited edition production number. Putting it on a card doesn't change that, because the figure inside would be the same, and that is what had a limited production number attached to it. They have gradually moved away from announcing limits, but every boxed set through 2011 and I think all the attendee exclusives through 2015 had those numbers listed on the order forms, the signs and/or their packaging at the con when they were sold. They can't violate that now.

Selling already produced ones out of the warehouse reserves is fine, however.

As for past FSS figures, I believe they were always advertised as limited edition, but they always said they may have more available in the club store, except for the mystery figure. So they may have wiggle room there to reproduce older figures. It would violate the spirit of how they sold them, but their claims were vague enough to get away with it legalistically. They'd be on safer legal ground if they only sold old FSS figures as loose editions though.

However, it's a very boring thing to do. We have TONS more ARAH figures that haven't been remade in ME-style yet. All their resources, if they are truly closing shop after another year, should be devoted to getting more of those figures out. Even a year as old as 1987 still has tons of gaping holes in it in the modern line.
    Last edited by jedijones77@icloud.com; 05-30-2017 at 05:29 PM.

Corporal iamcanadian@sasktel.net's Avatar
    Other than trooper 3 packs, I'd have to agree with JediJones. I'm not saying I'd not like another shot at the ones I missed/passed over, but if resources and time are limited I'd rather they be used for new/unmade figures.

I'm torn on this one because there's some figures I'd like to see remade. Such as Big Boa, Dialtone (original), etc. But I also feel strongly about characters getting made in Modern Era that we know only the club would ever endeavor to make. I doubt they could pull off both, so I'll take whichever way they decide to go. If they get another extension that permits them to complete 82-90, then I hope they revisit the remake idea at the end of that contract extension.
    "A Soldier's Job is to do the impossible and then be forgotten." - Hawk, G.I. Joe #1

Private First Class morgardee@hotmail.com's Avatar
    I once questioned the 2nd run of convention figures when the Oktober Guard had it's second run since I had a first run of the set.

It happened and honestly it didn't impact me in a negative way. It just made more people happy. The club were happy to make more money and collectors happy that missed out.

Now I already have almost all the convention sets. I think I'm missing a few pieces, but I'd still buy some of them again if they came out on card, for example the Oktober guard. I have them all but I'd be tempted to buy them for the wall display. Same with Metal Head. That figure needs to be on a card.

The idea isn't to lessen the value of anyone collection. There are other things out that that carry their value longer than plastic toys if you wish to invest money. The idea is to try to make as many people happy as possible and lets be honest, this would generate a lot of cash for the club at the end of their run. They have to eat as well.

I would love to see the unproduced holes first and foremost. Yes, I have would have loved the opportunity to buy some of the figures I paid higher prices for loose carded for the kids collection, but that said I bit the bullet and paid the big money for (up to $200) for some of them. Some of those being sought after are not even the Club's like Sgt. Slaughter, Red Jinx, and Zarana but were SDCC exclusives. Part of me also thinks that some of the fans, are not really collector's as they want everything at clearance prices and are mad they could not pick Zarana, Dial Tone and Frostbite up at Ross for $3.

That said, I would like to see other collector's (those that are true collector's and don't balk at $40 figures) get a shot at them also reasonably ($200 secondary market is not reasonable for a 10 yr old item). You do this with some minor modifications/changes like Darklon FSS and Convention exclusive, or an update of a later version figure. You offer the Sgt Slaughter Maurauders version with Footloose and Mutt for an example as a three pack. A Sunbow/MARVEL accurate Dialtone with a slight color variation highlighting the SUNBOW/MARVEL look. Second issue figures will not hurt value for collector's if they are not a straight up reissue.The Operation Bear Trap colors were slightly different in the second run, making it easier for collector's to buy in, and yes the scalpers snagged a whole bunch of those second runs and held them back from the market to keep the price artificially high. It has been until the last year that the Operation Bear Trap sets have started to fall considerably below the Mission Brazil set. Because the scalpers have been releasing more, and more, into the market at its highest price point and the value is dropping (market correction). Part of that is because a lot of the collector's do not care which set they get, they just want the characters for their collection. However, the person that is able to collect both sets and showcase the differences will add value to both as a complete double set in the future. Even Dialtone is coming off the $200 plusmark, because at the highest price the scalpers released a lot of their backstock they had been holding onto. I remember one guy on Ebay was selling a ridiculous amount of the Dialtones carded from the convention starting at $300 a pop and then for about $180 for the last 5 he had.

For the Club's product to have credibility the change has to be enough to make the second figure different. Afterall, some people are buying these figures because they are limited as an investment, not giving them to kids like I am doing. For them the figures have to hold the value they PAID for them at the least. If they bought the FSS on the secondary market that would be tougher on some figures. Look at Alpine- admittedly a must for ARAH collector's. The figure was selling for $100, now thanks to the 50th re-release with the only difference being the new GI Joe logo in Gold on his sleeve those $100 figures are about $25, and the 50th version is about $8 despite the scalper's best effort to try and buy the 3 packs to limit availability, and TRU's distribution problems making it look like there was limited availability. Re issuing the hard to find figures could really burn a large group of investment collector's, collectible dealers who could pull out of the market. That group alone could be large enough to ensure no GI Joe figure is made again as they are the multiple buyers in the preorders world that make the minimum runs possible. Without them, the price doubles, triples, etc to cover the cost of the minimum number of sets needed to go to factory to produce. Then if you can't afford $100 for 13 figures, they are not going to be cheaper if someone decides to sell...

I would like reissues of some figures, but with the uncertainty of the club i would like to get figures in the me style. On a side note what if hasbro allows the club to continue but only by using Larry hama source material, thus separating hasbros new universe from what collectors want

I'm very mixed on a second run. There are some figures that I missed and definitely want to track down and would really like to see rereleased in some fashion so I can pick them up. However a complete second run would indeed flood the figure market too much and would hinder more figure production by putting Second run figures back into machines and factories. A club vote for a handful of figures to have a second run makes sense and would be really fun to participate in. For multiple reasons I don't think the club will end in 2018 it will take on a different form however and the club would need to be able to make new figures that are not in ME in any form.