Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mark Weber is leaving

Mark Weber is leaving

This was posted to Facebook on the GI Joe Discussion group by Mark Weber.

Mark Weber G.I. Joe Discussion

Firstly, no disrespect intended by the image below to the flag I removed with my yellow belt Photoshop skills.

I wanted to post a farewell to the G.I. Joe Discussion Group, as I am no longer working on the brand. I loved my time working on Transformers and G.I. Joe and I will remember my time at Hasbro fondly. I wish I had been working on G.I. Joe when the brand had more items allocated to it, but as a lifelong G.I. Joe fan and collector I’m grateful for the opportunity to work on the brand at all. I will always be proud that a few of my ideas made it into the history of G.I. Joe. Some of my personal highlights include:

Fighting to get Sightline’s file name changed to “Gary Goggles.”

Getting army builder figures packed TOGETHER in 2-packs.

Championing Kindle Worlds and building the Fan Vote that produced Stiletto.

Devising and building the hintless crossword puzzle to reveal the 2016 figure lineup.

Writing the “Interrogator” filecard (my all-time favorite Cobra) and maybe one more down the line. Thanks to Brian Savage and Dave Lane for affording me the opportunity!

Getting a female Cobra Officer figure made and FINALLY releasing Shooter – the long lost “14th Joe.”

Pushing for all-new characters – hopefully starting the trend with Tombstone.

Seeing Hasbro’s Brand Writer (without me requesting it) make Night Fox’s hometown Bend, Oregon – where I grew up and the place I’ll always consider home. Maybe there’s some red hair under that balaclava??

My favorite moments were attending my first two JoeCons and getting to interact with the diehard supporters of this franchise we all love. Crafting the Brand Panels and sharing the new figures and vehicles with the fanbase for the first time was an absolute rush. I made so many new friends in Pasadena and Loveland – thanks to everyone who made me feel so instantly welcome.

I’ve been in this group the whole time, reading faithfully but not posting (per Hasbro’s policy). I’m under NDA and won’t be whispering secrets or hosting any “Q&A” sessions, but if I was helpful to you during my time on G.I. Joe, or if there was a product or figure you particularly liked over the last two years, I’d love to read about it in the comments section below. Thanks everyone!"

Last edited by rjhiii@sover.net; 05-11-2017 at 07:02 AM.

It doesn't seem like he was there long. His highlights seems to be his entire GI Joe resume.

He had a very short, but very impactful impression on the brand. It helped he was a fan. This is not only sad news, but could be a bad omen as well...

Sergeant
    I will miss Mark. He was a real fan and you could tell he pushed for more resources for the brand even though we all know it wasn't a priority at Hasbro when he was at the helm.

Private First Class
    No, he wasn't there long, and it appears his resources were limited. However, I feel like he did what he could to advance the figure set, and give us collectors some nuggets too; ie, Female Cobras, HTF figures (SAW Viper, Alpine), Gung-Ho, and Sightline.

Don't forget Shooter! and a couple new characters... Stiletto (through the Kindle contest) and Tombstone to go with Sightline, plus the female Cobra officer...

Thanks Mark, I don't know if you left for greener pastures or not, but I'm thrilled that Shooter, Heavy Duty, and Tombstone were made in modern-era molds. I worry constantly that Hasbro doesn't get the target audience, and wonder daily how long they'll attempt this all-inclusive brand world, before they get back to basics and accept who their audience is and / or use books and video-games from the major platforms to try to extend that olive branch to the next generation.
    "A Soldier's Job is to do the impossible and then be forgotten." - Hawk, G.I. Joe #1

Private First Class kaljzl0824@yahoo.com's Avatar
    This kinda crap is why I want the Club around forever

Thanks Mark, I don't know if you left for greener pastures or not, but I'm thrilled that Shooter, Heavy Duty, and Tombstone were made in modern-era molds. .
    He posted this on the FB discussion board as well...

"Mark Weber- Nice to hear from you Tony! Are you tired of seeing Brian McCann rifle grounders into the right side shift yet? Without a commensurate position to slide me into, Hasbro laid me off last month - making me the hottest free agent since LeBron "

Which to me really makes no sense that Hasbro would lay him off if they are truly planning a shared Universe. Mark came to GI Joe laterally from Transformers didn't he? So in a Shared Universe scenario, wouldn't it make sense for Mark to continue having experience with two of the "prime brands" of the Shared Universe?

Just another reason for us to fight as hard as we can to keep the club alive...

Not a good move. The GI Joe products that were released during his tenure were excellent, overall. I guess he was too much a true fan for the new (young) millennial- focused, SJW, globalist Joe & Hasbroverse.