Thread: Replacing Timeless Joe KFG Hands

Captain Matthew.stoops@wmich.edu's Avatar

Replacing Timeless Joe KFG Hands

A few of you may have seen my Timeless MOA Condition study. The most blazing part of it was his hands.

I got some HobbyCrash Geyper hands from Cotswold, and a few other bits.

Let's compare:

Pretty good, minor differences, but they look like they'll fit very well. Now, on to the operation.
    These go to Eleven...

Initially, the plan was to replace the hands and the pegs, but I soon discovered that the pegs don't come out.

Undeterred, I decided to get the hands off (which were held on by a rivet), so I warmed them up, and carefully pushed and pulled them over the mushroomed ends of the rivets.

Then I used pliers, and smashed the living daylights out of one of the rivet ends, so I could pull them straight through the holes.

I lucked out, the Geyper hands fit right on the pegs, but as of [04/29/17]*, I have no means of making them more permanent.

See how they just rest on the pegs at the moment.

\/ Old hands and smashed rivets. \/

These go to Eleven...

Decked out, with his new medals. The Silver Star, for 12 or 13 years of active duty, and The Purple Heart, awarded for his hand injuries, sustained in the line of play.

*A fellow on The Trenches forum suggested the stick from a Q-tip ear swabby to hold the hands on. I tried it out, and aside from the notable color difference (white as opposed to skintone), they work pretty darn well. Pictures to come, eventually...
    These go to Eleven...

Private First Class
    Bummer. I'm wondering if the hard hands Timeless Joes have the same non-removable hand pegs?

Could be. Those'll be harder to remove because they're not a "soft" plastic like the KFG was.
    These go to Eleven...

Private First Class
    When I put together my custom Red Claw by Loucos Por Bonecos I had to remove a hand off of a TC figure, I just heated the arm to soften it and pulled the wrist-peg off.

How did you heat the arm? I heated this guy's arms with hot bordering on boiling water. No luck.
    These go to Eleven...

Corporal iamcanadian@sasktel.net's Avatar
    When ever I pop arms, legs, feet off the 4" figures I always use boiling water, hold it under for about 10 seconds until the plastic is soft. Never had a wreck. I'm thinking you didn't have the water hot enough. I'd say keep it in about 15-20 seconds and use a plyers so you can get a good grip on the old peg. And heat the wrist before inserting the new hand peg.

Private First Class
    I focused the heat from a hairdryer right above the wrist protecting the hand with a rag, while the hand is secure and padded by the rag I pop it out using a pair of pliers.