Thread: My First Vintage-Style Joe gets a condition study!

Captain Matthew.stoops@wmich.edu's Avatar

My First Vintage-Style Joe gets a condition study!

This is my first ever vintage styled GI Joe. I've had him for at least 12 years, maybe 13. I don't know the exact date, but I'd guess it's the same Christmas dad got his Joe40 Frogman (Possibly 2004, when they were new).

So, given the fact that he's had 13 years of on and off play, (and some brutal storage conditions early on) he's got some wear and tear.

Here he is.

He's always had this stress crack, as far as I can remember. It's very peculiar, I've never seen one like this on a Joe before, or since. I've only seen it on wood.

Here's the other thing he's always had. A bent thigh pin.

Here's a relatively recent development, noticed it about a year ago. The most peculiar staining on his neck joint, shoulders, hip balls (not pictured), and a little on his wrists. I have no idea what it is, I tried rubbing some Witch Hazel on them, and it helped a little bit. Probably the wrong thing to use.
    These go to Eleven...

Captain Matthew.stoops@wmich.edu's Avatar

His face. He's got a yellow scar. I'll probably repaint it at some point. But not his lips. I like the fact that his lips have no color. But that scar color has gotta change. I also had him reflocked late last summer.

His Hands.

They started to rip a long time ago, now they're getting bad, as you can tell. I bought some Geyper repro KFG hands from Cotswold, and some pegs too, because those are part of the figure's hands, and the whole deal will have to get replaced.

I generally have him dressed in some Action Soldier basics. This set is vintage, and was bought with a ME figure at JoeCon 2013. I think they're from a talker, the shirt is roomier than usual.
    These go to Eleven...

Private First Class
    I bought one of the Then and Now Army figure sets. I removed the vintage style Joe from the box and put him in another box. He has not been posed or had to stand up displayed in over a decade. Last month I started going through all my Joe stuff to decide what to keep and what to sell and found the Joe in one of the boxes. He has a leg crack. It's annoying. No play and no display and he still has a leg crack. I guess I'll probably buy a Cotswold replacement leg part, and I won't mind the mixed parts, but it's still annoying.

Private First Class
    Great job, almost looks like a real 70s vintage Joe.