Thread: Viper/Falcon Glider

Corporal iamcanadian@sasktel.net's Avatar

Viper/Falcon Glider

Been thinking about these toys lately. I never saw either as a kid and heard that they weren't that popular due to breaking so easily. I assume they were made out of the same type of foam that those little fighter planes with the plastic props that cost $1.50 were made out of, but were they the same thicknes, 1/16", or were they a bit thicker?

Corporal bassistcarlos@sbcglobal.net's Avatar
    I had the both gliders as a kid, and yes they did break easily; but that was because I was a kid & I played the hell out of those gliders. The nice thing about those gliders is that they actually had play value; they actually flew decently. When they broke, all you needed was some scotch tape, & you were back in business. I don't know about the thickness, but they may have been the same thickness or thicker.
    I really enjoyed these gliders, and I wish they had been rereleased, during the 25th, like most of the early vehicles.

Yeah, you'd think that they wouldn't have been that expensive to make for the 25th. I wonder if there is a stronger material that still allows for flight that can be used? Or maybe make it out of kite material and make a more true to life type glider? I think it would be cool if Hasbro revisited it and maybe updated it a bit, (materials and/or design).

They were made of foam board that is a lot thicker than the balsa wood plane wings, maybe 1/8 to 1/4 of an inch thick. And they were popular for play value, but not amongst parents because they broke so easy. I loved mine, it too also slowly disintegrated, then the decals and figure clip were moved onto a kite which also slowly came apart. Love them!

Quarter inch seems like it'd be too thick. The balsa wood planes were pretty thin, maybe a little less then 1/16". I was refering to these planes:
    Name:  flying-glider-planes.jpg
Views: 119
Size:  18.4 KB
    which I believe were 1/16". I'm guessing the Falcon/Viper Gliders were either this thickness or 1/8".

I just looked at the one I bought as an adult and it looks like it is about the same thickness as the cardboard of a USPS priority mail box. It is a lot thinner than I remember lol!

3dJoes offers a good look at it.
    Last edited by rjhiii@sover.net; 04-14-2017 at 02:02 PM.

That sure looks thinner than 1/8". If they were brittle and prone to breaking back then, then they must be a helluva lot worse now. Thx for the pic.

Pic credit goes to 3D Joes- great site that everyone should check out! The stabilizers are actually about 3 times thicker than the "wing"

Quote Originally Posted by iamcanadian@sasktel.net View Post
    Quarter inch seems like it'd be too thick. The balsa wood planes were pretty thin, maybe a little less then 1/16". I was refering to these planes:
    Name:  flying-glider-planes.jpg
Views: 119
Size:  18.4 KB
    which I believe were 1/16". I'm guessing the Falcon/Viper Gliders were either this thickness or 1/8".
    OMG! I was hit by a wave of nostalgia for every grammar school fair I attended and all those school book orders I submitted. I loved those gliders and must of had about 30 of the darn things.