Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Revamped Joe?

Private First Class ERIKSEMAIL@VERIZON.NET's Avatar
    It means they have no clue what made GI Joe such a hit in the 80's and they are going to continue to gender bend and "diversify" characters that do not need to be. In other words, they are going to make movies more like the Jem one and not more like the Marvel Cinematic Universe and wonder why they are failing at the box office...
    DITTO!
    This is why Fun Publications must continue to give the true avid fans what they want. The only GI Joe toys that are selling are from FP or because of FP subscription base input. There is no viable GI Joe except the one we have now. Its making money or Hasbro would pull the plug. The push for a reboot needs to come in the form of Pursuit of Cobra period. That line had the same strengths as 1982 did for its time. Where are Depriest and Weber on this? Are they not the "GI Joe Guys" at Hasbro? GI Joe is not the new comic series Revolutions. It apparently was not the reboot Renegades ( I for one loved it). Why Hasbro cannot look at the failures and simply use what works amazes me. What was Resolute? Why did Hasbro sanction that? It worked exceedingly well with the fan base and yet there was no preface or follow up. Please Hasbro use your brand wisely. It is such a generational success that it needs to stick to its roots with simply a current iteration. NO INTERNATIONAL crap! It will always be A REAL AMERICAN HERO!

Private First Class
    I'm glad Hasbro has acknowledged some basic truths we've discussed over the last few years:
    1) Hasbro needs to commit to the brand.
    2) Hasbro needs to develop a long plan for G.I. Joe
    3) G.I. Joe needs to become relevant to today's kids
    4) The brand cannot survive the way it has been going, a few figures each year with a small distribution
    5) Media tie-in's are essential to the brand's success

After the false starts with Renegades (a new Concept and design), Retaliation (similar feel to Renegades with added star power), and IDW Comics (2009-2012 great stories and updated looks and plots); I'm hoping Hasbro can put it all together and develop a new concept with new updated designs that includes TV, Movies, and Comics tie-in's for a vehicle/figure line with wide distribution.

Corporal bassistcarlos@sbcglobal.net's Avatar
    I really enjoyed Renegades, so if they built off of that, I'd be ok with it. If they keep the storyline that Cobra is basically clandestine, yet everywhere & in everything, the joes can become more of a (CID) Criminal Investigation Unit, that follows leads & clues to the existence & whereabouts of Cobra. The main characters could change from a battlefield unit to more of a forensics & lab unit. The stories could center around Joes like Chuckles, Scarlett, Lady Jaye, Scoop, Mainframe, Sgt. Hacker, Hard Drive, Psyche Out, Hi-Tech, Sure Fire, Law & Order, Agent Faces, Airtight, Clean Sweep, Bombstrike & Sneek Peak. The heavy combat joes can come into play when they get too close to Cobra, & Cobra has to cover its' tracks. Just my 2 cents worth; I could get behind this idea.

GI Joe that isn't a story which paints soldiers in a positive patriotic light, while going on missions that involve problem solving and working with people who don't necessarily share the same philosophical views to accomplish goals, isn't GI Joe. GI Joe is about the military and that's the bottom line. Stop tip-toeing around it, stop trying to make it soft, and fool children. And for God's Sake, use the rich history of the filecards to assist in shows, movies, books, comics, etc.
    "A Soldier's Job is to do the impossible and then be forgotten." - Hawk, G.I. Joe #1

Corporal bassistcarlos@sbcglobal.net's Avatar
    Amen brother!
    G.I. Joe=good
    Cobra=bad

It's a pretty basic premise.

GI Joe that isn't a story which paints soldiers in a positive patriotic light, while going on missions that involve problem solving and working with people who don't necessarily share the same philosophical views to accomplish goals, isn't GI Joe. GI Joe is about the military and that's the bottom line. Stop tip-toeing around it, stop trying to make it soft, and fool children. And for God's Sake, use the rich history of the filecards to assist in shows, movies, books, comics, etc.
    I doubt we will ever see true file cards again because of Hasbro's multi-lingual packaging. I can understand this from a business perspective as they want to use the same packaging across multiple countries and reasons.

Sergeant
    I doubt we will ever see true file cards again because of Hasbro's multi-lingual packaging. I can understand this from a business perspective as they want to use the same packaging across multiple countries and reasons.
    Simple answer to that is to enclose them (even 3-packs have boxes these days) and change the language enclosure for different markets at the point of production.

Simple answer to that is to enclose them (even 3-packs have boxes these days) and change the language enclosure for different markets at the point of production.
    or print the foreign language on the reverse. English one side- Spanish the other... And there is room under the plastic to include them on the front.

All companies have been simplifying their packaging lately - New star wars figures don't even have images of their wave mates on the card back anymore, and character descriptions are written in the simplest language imaginable. The original Joes were aimed at 5-7 year olds and all of Larry Hama's file cards were very complex in terms of language, themes, and veiled references to real world events (i.e. Southeast Asia=Vietnam. You'd never see references to Afghanistan or Iraq on cards today).

Private First Class smacktrain@aol.com's Avatar

Sam Jackon better than original Nick Fury ?

I think it's fine. Renegades was also a "young, hip" update and it was awesome.

As for gender or race swapping, I'm honestly fine with it. Nobody's busting into my house and replacing any of my old comics or figures, so as far as I'm concerned, why not try a few things out and see what sticks? Sam Jackson is a better Nick Fury than any white guy with a five o clock shadow and a flattop. The ones that don't work will go away- remember big pimpin' Kingpin from Affleck's Daredevil?

The only way this will catch on and "replace" the classic Joe lore is if it's amazingly good, and even if that's the case, we will forever have our old comics, cartoons and figures to go back to. My money's on it not being good enough to replace anything, but I'd love to be wrong.
    Has anyone reinvented the ball or stick for the millennials? The G.I. Joe brand needs to tie in with franchises that children and parents of toy buying age are interested in. Samual L. Jackson ? better than the original Nick Fury well as Sammy would say " what have you been smoking ? ". Wow Race & Gender swapping, I bet christmas toys are a real blast at your house.