Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Revamped Joe?

Private First Class

Revamped Joe?

With the March 2017 article from the LA Times, what does "a rebooted G.I. Joe with a revamped look intended to appeal to younger audiences" look like?

They also mentioned "a more millennial approach"?

It means they have no clue what made GI Joe such a hit in the 80's and they are going to continue to gender bend and "diversify" characters that do not need to be. In other words, they are going to make movies more like the Jem one and not more like the Marvel Cinematic Universe and wonder why they are failing at the box office...

Private First Class
    I think it's what we've been asking for, "Save the Brand", "Do something with it", "Create a new Joe aimed at kids of today" . . . I see this a good thing! Hasbro actually cares about the property! They want to make it relevant with a new generation! All the things we been clamoring for on these very forums!

Sergeant
    I will not buy anything "revamped" for "millennials." Very glad we have the club and we can get the Joes we had as kids in ME format. That is where I will focus my extra dollars that can be used on Joes/collectibles. If they take the club away? More money for me.

New, but true to what made GI Joe is what people want. Basically the reason ROC and Retaliation failed was because they did what they currently are saying they are going to do- totally reinvent the wheel. If they do that again- well it will be the same results. Hasbro did this with Jem also- was there a bigger flop? It isn't because those that liked Jem lost interest in the property. It is because they changed everything to make it "appeal to the Millennial" audience and the Millennial audience wasn't interested in what they were selling, and the old fan base was turned off completely.

I'm a millennial and I am not interested in concepts that have been revamped for my generation. The characters will be whiny social justice warriors with an attitude. I'll take the post- 'Nam Gung-Ho (pun intended) patriots any day.

Private First Class
    Thank you for making me aware of this info.

I think it's what we've been asking for, "Save the Brand", "Do something with it", "Create a new Joe aimed at kids of today" . . . I see this a good thing! Hasbro actually cares about the property! They want to make it relevant with a new generation! All the things we been clamoring for on these very forums!
    It was said before somewhere, and I'm sure someone will say it beyond my post.....We asked for it, and now we're getting it! GI Joe Babies! Hey it worked for the Muppets.

If they develop a cartoon, that i'm confident will be crap for all ages, what does that say for a newer better movie? If they go the route they want too, I.E. clone the MCU, how bad is it going to be? they say you cant polish a turd, but you can roll it in glitter.......Just sayin'

Heres hoping the club continues...
    (All respects to Mr Carlin) Things you'll never hear a Joe say:
    Hand me that VAMP.
    Do what you want to the civilian, but leave me alone!

Sergeant
    Here's the LA Times article we're talking about: http://www.latimes.com/business/holl...321-story.html

I think it's fine. Renegades was also a "young, hip" update and it was awesome.

As for gender or race swapping, I'm honestly fine with it. Nobody's busting into my house and replacing any of my old comics or figures, so as far as I'm concerned, why not try a few things out and see what sticks? Sam Jackson is a better Nick Fury than any white guy with a five o clock shadow and a flattop. The ones that don't work will go away- remember big pimpin' Kingpin from Affleck's Daredevil?

The only way this will catch on and "replace" the classic Joe lore is if it's amazingly good, and even if that's the case, we will forever have our old comics, cartoons and figures to go back to. My money's on it not being good enough to replace anything, but I'd love to be wrong.