Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: IDW: Salvo reimaged?

Private First Class
    So, we know know that Salvo is Samoan. If the cover is any indication, her first mission will be a fish out of water type story.

3 issues in, and the writing has been pretty good, but the art has been awful. I would really like him to move on from the Dire Wraith story, it feels allot like Secret Invasion from Marvel. It feels like we kinda know where this is headed. I am hopeful for the Crystal Ball and Dreadnoks story, as Zartan left them in the Australian outback, and this could bring resolution to that lingering plot thread. Time will tell.

So far I'd give it a C+.

I agree. No real problems with the writing, but the art is just terrible. The on MASK, on the other hand, is great.

I loved all the cameos in the MASK Annual.

Private First Class
    OK, the issue in question is out . . . UGH!

This is the last issue I'm buying of this series. I usually like to give a new title 10 issue before I decide, but I can't take anymore. The art is abysmal, the writing has gotten steadily worse since the first issue, and the story is just bad. I know the writer is going for a Sunbow style of Joe, but when you put Polly in a ridiculous bubble scuba helmet and have her underwater (like she can swim) fighting a fatal fluffy . . .you've jumped the shark.

This series is so far from the previous IDW runs, that it CAN'T be considered part of the main IDW-verse. It feels like a bad Power Rangers episode. . . and where did Stretcher come from?! To this point, he hasn't been introduced in the IDW comics . . . and why isn't he a girl too?!

I hate to seem like the typical internet hater, but this is really bad. I really liked IDW's Joe, and I really wanted this shared universe thing to work. It just doesn't. I'm a G.I. Joe Comics guy. I liked the cartoon for bringing a voice to my Joes, but the stories got sillier as they made more cartoons. Maybe G.I. Joe Sunbow folks like it, but this series is has gotten their last $5 from me. I am curious on how the Sunbow fans feel about this series through 5 issues.
    Last edited by krob73@yahoo.com; 05-05-2017 at 02:37 PM.

Private First Class
    By the way IDW, Grand Slam is dead. He died in G.I. Joe Origins # 7 in 2009!

That's what you get when the author "crowd sources" their info because no one has a definitive continuity...

"Aubrey Sitterson‎ to G.I. Joe Discussion
    December 1, 2016

No seriously Slavo now a female so now its Danielle K. Hasle

Private First Class ERIKSEMAIL@VERIZON.NET's Avatar
    Sure, this is for all those "alternative GI Joe" fans. Do you think they'll make Covergirl a male character soon? Perhaps this is the dreadful "reimagined" type of Joe Hasbro wants. No sir!

Private First Class
    The latest What's On Joe Mind podcast has an interview with the writer. It confirms all that I was afraid of. Not only is he moving away from the established IDW G.I. Joe, but Hasbro is backing this direction. God forbid, we get figures based on this run.

The odd thing is that he (Aubry Sitterson) said he read the entire IDW G.I. Joe comics in preparation for the series. Yet the very first thing he writes includes a dead character (Grand Slam). They also go on to talk about some internet dust-up between him and fans, that there was not continuity bible for IDW. Sorry, but I don't need a continuity bible to remind me that I read (within the last 6 months) a character died. I'm not beating him up, just emphasizing that his run has nothing to with the prior comics. His interpretations and stories will center more on the things I don't like in 'Joe. It's just not for me.

The other interesting thing I got from the interview, was that he felt like this new direction was to draw in new readers, and a new audience. While I am happy Hasbro is concerned about getting new fans for the brand, I just don't see it happening. After 4 months, sales have dropped below ARAH, and continue to fall. ( http://www.comicbookpage.com/MayoRep...=2017&Month=04 )

If the 1st major attempt at a Hasbro shared universe fails, does the G.I. Joe comic disappear as well?

So the dust up occurred on the GI Joe Discussion page on Facebook. Where the writer basically asked the fans to give them all the information they remembered about the IDW run of GI Joe- basically he was looking for the cliff notes version to get started. That is what created the ruckus. I also assume by "read" he meant "skimmed through" which would allow him to miss important details such as Grand Slams death. I admit, I haven't read the new comic or the cross over stuff, not because I don't want to, or am not interested, but I can't get past the horrible artwork and lack of detail. The Revolution (Awe Yeah) series was worse than this, it looked like it was drawn by a third grader...
    Last edited by rjhiii@sover.net; 05-10-2017 at 11:21 AM.

For those of you that thought I was kidding about the third grader...
    Last edited by rjhiii@sover.net; 05-10-2017 at 11:20 AM.