View Full Version : If you could re-boot GI Joe, how would you do it?

11-04-2015, 08:25 AM
Everybody and their sister knows that GI Joe is fighting a loosing battle. We get some reinforcements from Hasbro, and some from the club, but not enough to turn the tide.

GI Joe needs an overhaul, but needs to be kept somewhere within the realm of GI Joe.

This is what I'm thinking:

Reduce GI Joe down to one man, Sgt. Joseph D. Colton (retired), a veteran of the war between the U.S.A. and The Cobra Terrorist Cell (C.T.C.) back in '93. Only he can't settle down. Sine the war, peacetime is just too dull. So, looking for adventure, and looking to expand his worldview, Colton decides to travel the world and research other cultures, look for artifacts of times past, get first-hand dealings with exotic animals, goes to parties of the rich and famous, as well as coming to the aide of the less fortunate, and search for legendary objects and creatures. And of course, he has to fight bad guys when it comes to it.

The goal would be to somewhat educate children. Not enough to call it an "Educational Franchise," but enough so that the children don't grow up to be totally ignorant.

Both scales, 12" and 3 3/4". The beauty is there's only one character to produce, that has to be cheaper, right?

The 12" figure comes on his own, wearing his normal Adventure-ready outfit. Have assorted gear and outfits available, correlating to new adventures. The point of this is so that the child doesn't end up with 16 of the same figure. Perhaps at some point, introduce a bad guy figure to fight/thwart Joe.

The 3 3/4" figure comes with minimal gear. Additional accessory sets would be available, perhaps even a vehicle. Again, at some point maybe an enemy figure.

The Journals of Joseph Colton as he travels the world. Some educational tidbits, but thrown into the scripts themselves, not as pop-ups, so the kids would never know. Kids need good cartoons these days, everything I see on Disney Channel and Cartoon Network is really, really stupid.

Separate from the cartoon, but in the same groove.

Video Games
Mostly a Tomb Raider/Uncharted, run and jump style adventure game, but to appeal to a wider audience, include some first person shooter elements in a dream that Joe has about the War against C.T.C. back in '93.

Other Things
The Occasional Mail-In offer for an exclusive piece of equipment, or a fancy uniform, etc.

Perhaps a novel for the older fans.

11-05-2015, 09:45 PM
### #### ##### ##### ### ######

11-06-2015, 11:19 PM
I love what the Renegades cartoon did with Cobra. By turning Cobra into a corporate entity, they can be everywhere and nobody thinks twice about it. The Joes are an investigative team, put together from all branches and fields in the modern military. They are basically Agents Moulder and Scully, of the X files, sent out to investigate reports of arms smuggling, civil unrest, and bands of heavily armed criminal organizations, that seem to have links to this benevolent behemoth of a corporation called Cobra. The joes can't believe it themselves, but the evidence keeps pointing to Cobra. It could be a cartoon or live action, but it is a global story. M.A.R.S. is a shady and corrupt defense company that profits off of civil unrest throughout the Middle East and the world. The Arashikage are an Asian crime syndicate in Asia and the west coast of The U.S. The east coast is plagued by a heavily armed and brutal drug lord named Headman and his criminal organization, the Headhunters. The Red Shadows, Iron Grenadiers, Dreadnoks, Night Creepers, and Black Dragons are all regional criminal organizations that the joes are investigating, and tying to Cobra. Extensive Enterprises is a Wall Street financial giant and also has a group of lobbyists that influence and infiltrate our government and governments all over the world, with the Crimson Guard. The biomedical Side of Cobra is headed by Dr. Brian Bender and Dr. Archibald Monev. They are also into oil and chemical production and refining.

11-07-2015, 08:46 PM
I would love an updated cartoon reboot of the original concept and characters from the '80s. Cartoons and video games are what drive kids' interest in toys. That's how they are able to sell all that Beyblade stuff...

11-07-2015, 11:10 PM
I would love an updated cartoon reboot of the original concept and characters from the '80s. Cartoons and video games are what drive kids' interest in toys. That's how they are able to sell all that Beyblade stuff...
Ditto! Don't change the story or characters. Just update it. Renegades was too narrow for new fans and just short of the mark for the collectors to get excited. Hasbro's Joe team is on a good path but it's still the board that controls spending.

11-08-2015, 10:44 AM
Whatever Hasbro does the Hama-verse deserves to be left alone and respected for it's defining place in Joe history.

11-09-2015, 09:36 AM
I agree with the AT theme, but I would use the ARAH characters. Have a core of 4 or 5 Joe's having the AT style adventures. It doesn't matter which ones you chose, but maybe some of the B or C characters, would provide appropriate distance from both iterations of Joe. Something like: Dodger, Flash, Torpedo, Red Dog and Payload. You can rotate in other characters as needed, but this would be the core team.

It needs to be completely different. All of the characters need updated look, backstory, and purpose. Give them a standard set of utility vehicles: a Humvee Truck, Black Hawk or Osprey, a moderate size boat. Have them use these only, with few exceptions. Maybe a Rib or motorcycle here and there but not often. Keep it small and simple.

The reboot HAS to include console game, comic book, and TV / web episode tie-ins. The stories should be fun challenges like rescues, retrieving downed space craft, collecting artifacts in hazardous terrain, etc. Less straight up fighting, more physical/mental challenges. They could run into various villains after the same objective, like MARS, Red Shadows, Black Dragon, various MERCs. Again, all characters would need a complete overhaul. Similar to what they started doing on Renegades.

As far a toys go; use the scale that is most popular now. I'm not sure what that is: 4", 6", 12" or 2.5". . . but is HAS to appeal to today's kids. I grew up a 3 3/4" kid, and loved the fact that I could get a variety of vehicles for my Joe's; but if that's not what 9-14 year-olds want today, don't make it. It cannot be made for past generations.

I thinks a blend of both the AT and ARAH is the way to go. It seems like the social climate has moved off of the military some, but not as far off as in the 70's. Tap into both, a military team on AT-style adventures.