PDA

View Full Version : 6" Black series?

Thompson.hunter58@yahoo.com
08-13-2015, 10:27 PM
I'm just curious if there have been any polls on what percentage of the club are pushing for 6 inch joes? It seems to me like it's closer than ever, at least through the rumor mill, and I was wondering what everyone's thoughts are. My two cents: Sure it's a cool idea. More details, they can be better for displaying, but from the perspective of cost: I for one can not afford to start anew in a new style of figure. Not only that, but I wouldn't want to. I am perfectly happy (not to mention perfectly BROKE :p) collecting 3 3/4 figures. The only way I could plausibly collect a new line would be sell off everything I have, and I am not about to do that. Another thing I worry about: Is the club going to follow suit, or is it just going to be a Hasbro thing? If yes on the club, then that worry me for the future of the 3 3/4 figures as far as club offerings. I'm not trying to criticize, so I hope this doesn't get taken as criticism, but it seems club funds are stretched thin as it is concerning FSS figures and what can and can't be done, so I, for one, would not want the quality of New 3 3/4 figures to suffer as a result. I'd be very interested to hear anyone and everyone's take on this. Even if the club moderators have anything they can add, maybe to ease my mind?

kelty11@verizon.net
08-14-2015, 09:57 AM
As nice as they would look - please no 6-inch joes. There are too many classic characters that have yet to be made in 3.75 scale. Hasbro did this with Star Wars and has totally marginalized the smaller scale collectors in favor in overpriced figures that sit on the pegs for months. SW black series figures only sell out when TRU, Target, and online retailers discount them to $12.

kaljzl0824@yahoo.com
08-14-2015, 11:47 AM
No to this all the way. Do you actually want to pay double the price for 6" Joes? It 'ain't gonna happen.

08-14-2015, 01:58 PM
That's what I am saying! Not only that, but what does it mean for 3 3/4 figures? What does it mean for 12 inch collectors as well, which already seems to have taken a hit as of late?

NS550@aol.com
08-14-2015, 02:15 PM
I think while 6 in figures may look great I don't think they are very practical for this series. Plus GI Joe in my opinion has the best detail and definition of any 3 3/4 in figures and the scale makes it easy to create playsets and vehicles. The brand itself is so very tied to vehicles and playsets that making a 6 inch line would mean we would probably never see many if any at all of the vehicles that go along with the series and it would be very costly to do at the same time. I'm a very loyal collector of the 3 3/4 inch size and I honestly wish other toy brands would fall in line with Hasbro in that area because they have shown you can have fantastic looking figures in a scale that also allows the collector to create a very expansive world. 6 inch figures wouldn't be different enough from the 3 3/4 line but would cost a lot more, the 12 inch series makes sense because of the design, removable cloth clothes and accessories, etc... whereas the 6 inch figures would just be bigger version of the 3 3/4 inch line. I have to agree with the other comments that this would not be a very good idea.

axonrey@gmail.com
08-14-2015, 02:18 PM
I certainly wouldn't be giving any dollars to a 6" line.

ATBotts78@gmail.com
08-14-2015, 02:54 PM
Star Wars Black Series do in fact sit on the big retailer shelves until they are largely discounted. If Joe went 6" big, the vehicles would be large Tonka Truck size, plastic Tonka Truck size, to be more specific. That would be dumb. He-Man and Professional Wrestling are the only 6" lines that ever lasted, and I don't think either of those are considered largely successful. Adding 2 and 1/4 inches to our line will not magically revitalize the line. We are what we are. Better cartoons, better movies, and better video games would help us out for sure. But we are what we are. Stay Strong GIJoeCC. Don't waiver. Weather the Storm. Yo Joe!!!

arock1922@yahoo.com
08-14-2015, 03:15 PM
No.

Just... no.

mmullin2@chw.edu
08-14-2015, 05:11 PM
I wouldn't want a 6" line as well. Looked what happened when they did the Star Wars 6" line, they started making the 3 3/4 inch star figures like the old early Kenner line and less of the articulate black series. I would hate to have that happen to the G. I. Joe line. And as for vehicles for the 6inch line that wouldn't happen. Hasbro only make about 2 vehicle sets a year now as is, besides the SDCC sets.

timpatterson99@hotmail.com
08-14-2015, 09:56 PM
I would agree... No room for 6 inch line

axonrey@gmail.com
08-15-2015, 01:29 PM
I've even heard some complaints about the 6 inch scale TIE for Star Wars- everyone thinks it's cool, but too big and too expensive... That's the problem with collector lines like that, I think, most adults have a pretty limited amount of disposable income for toys.

kelty11@verizon.net
08-16-2015, 12:27 PM
No 6-inch Joes. This scale is fine for Marvel as their have been 6 inch Marvel figures since 2002. The 6 inch SW line was something very few collectors actually wanted. However, Hasbro continues to claim that collectors were clamoring for a 6 inch line. And what happens? the figures sit unsold for months, in store, online and even in comic stores.

rcmejia@gmail.com
08-16-2015, 06:20 PM
No 6-inch Joes. This scale is fine for Marvel as their have been 6 inch Marvel figures since 2002. The 6 inch SW line was something very few collectors actually wanted. However, Hasbro continues to claim that collectors were clamoring for a 6 inch line. And what happens? the figures sit unsold for months, in store, online and even in comic stores.

The Java the huts are sitting on the clearance end caps and still no body is picking it up.

j_yoders@hotmail.com
08-17-2015, 08:09 AM
I have not bought the Star Wars one and would not buy a GI Joe one. Completely unnecessary.

08-18-2015, 12:38 AM
Wow, I know these few responses aren't many in the big picture, but I thought more people were wanting these. Great responses so far, all good points. The way I see, as far as "old head" joe collectors, we are set in our ways. If we collect 12 inch, then that's what we collect. Same for vintage and ME 3.75. Oh well, I guess whatever hPpens happens, I just hope it doesn't cause the 3.75 line to go down in quality if it does happen.

kelty11@verizon.net
08-18-2015, 10:27 AM
I think the difference between now and at other periods of change in Joe is that Hasbro is forcing this upon people and then claiming the collecting community wanted it because of 500 Twitter or Facebook posts. For example, Hasbro morphed Joe from a military theme to an adventure theme in the late 60's/70's due to opposition to the Vietnam war. The 12 inch Joes disappeared in the late 70's because of declining interest and higher production costs due to the oil crisis. The 3.75 scale was chosen for the 1982 relaunch because Remco and Kenner were leading the field in 3.75 figure field (not the mention the little remembered Fisher Price Adventure People). Today there is no rational explanation for why Hasbro would want to push a 6-inch Joe line when their other 6-inch products languish on the shelves. Even Marvel Legends no longer sell (could be the $24.99 price tag; Toy Biz's line was $7.99 to $11.99 from '02 to '10). This is also the reason that Mattel's DC Universe 6-inch line was eventually made a Mattycollector exclusive for the last 3 years of its run.

axonrey@gmail.com
08-19-2015, 05:28 AM
My issue with Marvel and especially Star Wars was the asking price doubled from the 3.75 scale. I can't really make that same argument given what little retail product we get from Hasbro, and what I'm shelling out for the FSS.

dgarlit@gmail.com
08-21-2015, 09:33 AM
No, please no

tkallspark@yahoo.com
08-22-2015, 07:36 AM
NO!.....Not just no....HELL NO! Just bring the 12" figures back!

rcmejia@gmail.com
08-22-2015, 05:31 PM
NO!.....Not just no....HELL NO! Just bring the 12" figures back!

No 12 inch either. There is a great option called sideshow collectible .

kelty11@verizon.net
08-23-2015, 12:36 PM
No 12 inch either. There is a great option called sideshow collectible .

I didn't know that Sideshow produced GI Joe anymore. Also they charge $200 to $300 per figure now. The first Snake Eyes was only $89.99 back in the day.

kelty11@verizon.net
08-23-2015, 12:39 PM
I've even heard some complaints about the 6 inch scale TIE for Star Wars- everyone thinks it's cool, but too big and too expensive... That's the problem with collector lines like that, I think, most adults have a pretty limited amount of disposable income for toys.

I agree that the 6- inch TIE for SW is very cool, but $180 for a toy? Hasbro would never be able to produce vehicles for a 6 inch Joe line. Can you imagine paying $60 for 6-inch scale Trouble Bubbles or Silver Mirage Cycles (made of flimsy plastic of course)? How about a $3500 Flag Aircraft carrier or a $299 Rattler?