PDA

View Full Version : GIJCC: 2016 12-inch Membership Incentive Figure!

Commander_Lane
07-21-2015, 09:55 AM
2016 MIKE POWER THE ATOMIC MAN FIRST LOOK
Please note the head sculpt presented in the mock up is the final digital sculpt!

In 2015, the G.I. Joe Collectors' Club offered the first ever GLOW-IN-THE-DARK 12" G.I. Joe action figure! Doctor Isotope is his name, and he is the membership incentive figure for G.I. Joe Collectors' Club this year. Anyone who had an active Club membership on March 16th of 2015 received Dr. Isotope in the mail at no additional cost. This unique figure is a villain bent on power and destruction, but as we all know, every great villain needs a strong hero to stand against him!

For 2016, the G.I. Joe Collectors' Club is raising the bar once again by offering a new version of the Classic 1970s figure - MIKE POWER THE ATOMIC MAN, a 12" inch figure which featured clear limbs and an eye that could be made to "blink" by blocking and unblocking the plastic pipe which carried light from the circle on top of the figure's head to his right eye.

The NEW Atomic Man from the G.I. Joe Collectors' Club will feature kung fu grip hands, clear legs, a clear arm and an ALL-NEW head design which will include an electronic LED light up eye activated by tugging on his Adventure Team dog tag! The figure will come dressed in tee shirt, shorts, and white shoes based on the RARE vintage uniform from the Secret Mountain Outpost for Atomic Man produced in the 1970s. To add to the fun there will be an accessory uniform set for Atomic Man available for separate purchase!

Final product and colors may vary!

To get the NEW Electronic Mike Power Atomic Man 12" figure, be sure to join the G.I. Joe Collectors' Club by March 16th, 2016. With the NEW Atomic Man as a member of the Adventure Team, evil (and Doctor Isotope) won't stand a chance!

JOIN the Club today!

ds_smith@sympatico.ca
07-21-2015, 10:04 AM
Looks awesome... sign me up!

kelty11@verizon.net
07-21-2015, 11:10 AM
Pretty Cool.

sf49ersphan@aol.com
07-21-2015, 12:36 PM
Very cool Was hoping to see the hand helicopter in the accessory set. I know he won't have the hand spinning feature the vintage figure had to make it spin but it sure would be nice to offer it. Heck given the number of vintage Mike Powers missing the helicopter, it could be a big seller all by itself. Something to think about club.

Great job on the new sculpt though can't wait to add this guy to the ranks.

AUGDOG38@MSN.COM
07-21-2015, 12:46 PM
That's an Awesome figure! I can't wait!:cool:

Matthew.stoops@wmich.edu
07-21-2015, 01:28 PM
I'm telling you guys, Mike Power needs his signature accessory, the copter thing.

It's like having Ash without The Boomstick, or Captain Jack Sparrow without his compass, or El Mariachi without his guitar case full of guns, or...

...you get the point.

Matthew.stoops@wmich.edu
07-21-2015, 01:30 PM
That jumpsuit looks kinda like a spandex deal, is it not cotton or polyester cloth?

Matthew.stoops@wmich.edu
07-21-2015, 01:31 PM
"If Doctor Isotope were to touch any mortal man, the man would surely perish. If Doctor Isotope were to touch Dr. Mike Power, Dr. Power's limbs work better."

Matthew.stoops@wmich.edu
07-21-2015, 01:36 PM
ALL-NEW head design which will include an electronic LED light up eye activated by tugging on his Adventure Team dog tag!

Hmm, light activated by tugging at the dog tag, will the neck not be a "ball joint" and be part of the chest? This would only allow us to rotate Dr. Power's head around.

Please respond quickly club, this puzzles me greatly.

tkallspark@yahoo.com
07-21-2015, 03:43 PM
I am excited that the club is raising the bar, and returning it's attention to the Adventure Team! Mike Power is EXACTLY who I was hoping for when the club announced DR. Isotope, @ Cloaked Raven, the special assignment suit pictured is tailored in the classic Atomic Man line of uniforms from years gone by. It's my hope that the club will give us 1/6 scale fans the same treatment that 1/18th fans are getting by offering us a FSS club (even if it's just uniforms for MARS, and The Adventure Team) The Club has really outdone itself with it's latest offerings, This proves that our community is truly a band of brothers, we all thank you Collectors Club, please keep up the good work, and if it's not too much trouble, maybe just maybe we can ask for an all new OFFICIAL, Secret Mountain Outpost for some "ATOMIC" Adventures..........Just putting that out there. In Closing This new sculpt Mike Power paves the way for some amazing adventures, I cannot wait for 2016! I will be renewing my membership!!!!! NUFF SAID!

boostergold5@gmail.com
07-21-2015, 04:46 PM
Will the clear plastic parts on these turn a sick sticky yellow after a couple of years like the clear shots from ten years ago did..?

Matthew.stoops@wmich.edu
07-21-2015, 05:49 PM
Will the clear plastic parts on these turn a sick sticky yellow after a couple of years like the clear shots from ten years ago did..?

That's the radiation doing that.

tkallspark@yahoo.com
07-21-2015, 11:28 PM
There is one thing I would like to address....The "Atomic Limbs" Will there be any robotic parts, or will these just be clear?.....The original had what looks like grey parts inside I understand the cost issues and all but as some have also stated Mike is missing his signature Helicopter, so does that mean his wrist won't have the built in dial?......Just asking, I am still excited but these are good questions as a fan myself, I'm asking what a lot of fans have asked. we just would like further insight. Maybe to cut down on costs maybe an atomic decal that looks like circuitry affixed to those parts.

xerofall@hotmail.com
07-21-2015, 11:40 PM
I may be getting crazy in my old age, but I'm really starting to like these 12 inch guys...

http://www.vintage3djoes.com/secret-mountain-outpost.html

I have two memberships and have gotten both 3.75 inch figures each time... now I'm thinking I might do one of each.

ds_smith@sympatico.ca
07-22-2015, 07:15 AM

Unfortunately that is likely to be a yes - that's is what sunlight does to clear plastic - it yellows it. Look at the headlights of older cars - most of them start to yellow.

On the plus side it depends on exposure. If you don't place the figure in direct sunlight the effects will be minimized. I have an original Mike Power from the 70's and his limbs a pretty clear - not perfect, but better than most.

funpubincadmin
07-22-2015, 10:41 AM
We appreciate your feedback but the copter accessory would have to be a retool as would inserts for the legs. These details are cost prohibitive, but we are looking at options for the future.

boostergold5@gmail.com
07-22-2015, 11:04 AM
Unfortunately that is likely to be a yes - that's is what sunlight does to clear plastic - it yellows it. Look at the headlights of older cars - most of them start to yellow.

On the plus side it depends on exposure. If you don't place the figure in direct sunlight the effects will be minimized. I have an original Mike Power from the 70's and his limbs a pretty clear - not perfect, but better than most.

I'm asking the club staff about the plastic used. I have many clear toys that are not yellow. The toys that the club made in 1997 had a huge problem of turning yellow. Its been discussed here on the boards extensively. Unfortunately those posts seem to be on the old forum from here and arent up anymore. So I cant put a link. This isnt just a case of everything clear turning yellow as a matter of course. I have other clear toys that are older than the Gi Joe figures from the club and they are still clear. The clubs toys turned a really dark shade of yellow really fast. They got all sticky and tacky too. There was a GI jane and a vintage style Joe and a modern body Joe that were made and they had clear accessories. I can post pics if you dont believe me, I still have them. Then I can also put pics of the many other clear toys that I own. All I wanted to know was whether the club had decided to go with a better grade of plastic this time.

As an example, Hasbro makes those $250 R2-D2 droids that are robots and you can order them around using your voice. On the earliest models ten years ago they used a cheap white plastic. It caused major yellowing issues on all the robots. It was so bad that no one could sell a used one on ebay and it was deterring sales of new ones because people were afraid they would turn yellow fast. Hasbro realized this and they went back and changed it and now the new ones use a much better grade of plastic that does not yellow nearly as easily and will hopefully take years to do so, instead of happening immediately. They make a new batch every couple of years. They didnt keep doing the same mistake that was costing them sales. Very simple.

http://thumbs.worthpoint.com/ITY8tKoi43MkcsrkhHKS2HZSncU=/400x0/images/images1/1/0513/18/1_4dd535bc3bd5439a97d101b45f2a80e3.jpg

fitzkatrina@hotmail.com
07-22-2015, 11:21 AM
With the New Lost Talkers coming soon and new Atomic Man in the spring, Brian and the Collector's Club get a big 👍 from me!!

funpubincadmin
07-22-2015, 11:56 AM
Please note that our modern production of clear plastics have a UV stabilizer that will help keep it from yellowing. As previously mentioned, display location and lighting are always factors in the long term and those conditions are only controlled by the owner.

sf49ersphan@aol.com
07-22-2015, 05:29 PM
Thanks for answering on the copter. I'm disappointed to hear that it won't be made avaiLable at this time but not surprised as it hadn't been shown at all. Has the club thought about possibly seeing if there is a vendor that could 3-d print them? Seems like a natural project for 3D printing. Heck maybe one of the members has some insight as to whether this would be possible.

Thanks again for the answer I'm really looking forward to this one.

Matthew.stoops@wmich.edu
07-22-2015, 06:34 PM
Perhaps an additional accessory set in the future? "Hand-Copter Rescue" or something...

arock1922@yahoo.com
07-22-2015, 09:03 PM
I sit next to a 3D printer at work. It's not mine but I've seen it make a lot of neat stuff. That being said I don't think a 3D printed item would be "production quality" piece you'd want for your collection but, perhaps you could model and print a part and use it to create tooling cheaper than it typically costs.

My understanding on the tooling is that is basically a block of metal that usually needs some kind of manufacturing process done to it. Then it needs to be polished to aid in releasing the parts after they are molded. In my experience, polishing a part is pretty expensive. I'm not sure if 3D printing a part would necessarily help anything other than save some time for sculpting the initial piece, but who knows.

sf49ersphan@aol.com
07-22-2015, 09:21 PM
You familiar with Joe fan Sean Huxter? He recently had some items for sale featured as AT sets at Cotswold Collectibles that were 3d printed that were much more intricate than the 2 piece hand copter. I'd also guess the flight pod they just put on sale was made the same way. Again I'm no expert but I've seen stuff more complicated that I'd put next to Hasbro stuff with no problem.

tkallspark@yahoo.com
07-23-2015, 09:23 PM
Maybe the Club will release an official Updated Secret Mountain Outpost ( I have an unofficial one on my page)....And if the club makes the Secret Mountain Outpost it can include the hand copter, Just a thought........

rene_bernier@yahoo.com
07-26-2015, 01:44 PM
While Mike Power was after my time, I really like this rendition. The sculpt and body look fine and the accessories look great. I wonder if the blades from the AT copter might work in a pinch. Have few of those left over from the Black Spider repro set.

jimmcsherry@yahoo.com
07-31-2015, 01:42 PM
This looks cool. Any chance we can get a 3-3/4" version for one of the FSS? - Thinking this head scaled down with a B.A.T. arm cast clear with the Kwinn Body would look great.

If not for the FSS, maybe you could release a 40th anniversary AT 5 - Pack with Mike, Human Bullet, Land Adventurer and Maybe 2 Intruders, one in silver and one in gold, using either a MU hulk body or the Big Boa body.

greasepaint@ameritech.net
08-04-2015, 09:03 PM
The figure looks great. I like the LED eye feature. I do have a suggestion before production begins. Have you considered making his right hand & both of his feet in clear plastic? It never made sense to me that he would have "a glove & footies" to cover his hand & feet. These are also "ATOMIC" & should therefore look the part. I think it would be just the extra touch that would put this figure over the top.

Matthew.stoops@wmich.edu
08-05-2015, 07:14 AM
The figure looks great. I like the LED eye feature. I do have a suggestion before production begins. Have you considered making his right hand & both of his feet in clear plastic? It never made sense to me that he would have "a glove & footies" to cover his hand & feet. These are also "ATOMIC" & should therefore look the part. I think it would be just the extra touch that would put this figure over the top.

The Clear Plastic may not be flexible enough to do the hands with.

08-05-2015, 08:24 PM
The Clear Plastic may not be flexible enough to do the hands with.

I think if they can do a glow-in-the dark hand, they can do a clear hand or a silver one. It's just a matter of the right plastic being used.

Matthew.stoops@wmich.edu
08-05-2015, 09:03 PM
Silver had crossed my mind.

Besides, had you thought of the possibility of Dr. Power having rubber "grips" on his hands and feet? They're there so he can run barefoot, and hold on to things that would otherwise slip out of his hand. His arms and legs themselves aren't covered in rubber for easy maintenance.

And if he's wearing pants and a long sleeved shirt, his "atomic" limbs would be covered up, hiding his secret.

ds_smith@sympatico.ca
08-06-2015, 07:10 AM
Maybe they will bring back the Gung-ho grip like the Super Articulated Joes had. That can be clear.

E_nycz@comcast.net
08-09-2015, 07:22 PM
My membership just renewed! So the Atomic man will be coming my way in 2016!

08-11-2015, 08:26 PM
Silver had crossed my mind.

Besides, had you thought of the possibility of Dr. Power having rubber "grips" on his hands and feet? They're there so he can run barefoot, and hold on to things that would otherwise slip out of his hand. His arms and legs themselves aren't covered in rubber for easy maintenance.

And if he's wearing pants and a long sleeved shirt, his "atomic" limbs would be covered up, hiding his secret.

I have considered the possibility of grips on his hand & feet. I also feel that Dr. Power would have come up with something a little more scientific to take care of that problem. Just because the hand & feet are clear it doesn't mean they are made of the same material as the arm & legs. As to the wearing of shoes & long pants or a long sleeve shirt to hide his secret. Dr. Powers has always impressed me as a man who was proud of his accomplishments & would not want to hide them unless the mission called for it. Even then, he would do so reluctantly. Ever since I was young & played with this figure I always imagined him as smart but not too modest. I got the idea from the ad that Hasbro used to promote him. He was proud of what he did. He was certain he was Adventure team material.

tkallspark@yahoo.com
08-11-2015, 10:41 PM
Well said Sandman!

Matthew.stoops@wmich.edu
08-12-2015, 12:19 PM
Also a good theory, Sandman. You are more than welcome to subscribe to it, it appears that MS.SouthGIJOE will as well.

I think the best theory, is a hybrid of both our theories:

While proud of his incredible accomplishment, Dr. Power noted that many people, colleagues and strangers alike, were "turned off" by shaking hands with a transparent mechanical construct. Something about the "out-of-place" feeling of high-density plastic on skin. He solved the issue by coating his hands in a flexible, skin-toned latex glove that was heated to an appropriate temperature.

As an added bonus, he found that the latex gloves help with holding on to more fragile things, like eggs (he is touted as an extremely good cook among the Adventure Team). It has been a problem he had grappled with since he created the first version of his limbs (he is presently on V6), he tried countless textures, materials, and assorted configurations, but the best thing that worked was a simple latex glove.

Otherwise, he would be proud to show off his prosthetics, and his typical attire is a tropical shirt paired with a pair of board shorts. When the situation calls for it, he begrudgingly covers up his limbs and places an advanced contact lens over his cybernetic eye. As soon as he's back home safe, or his cover blown, the coverings come off revealing...

...MIKE POWER, THE ATOMIC MAN!!!

tkallspark@yahoo.com
08-13-2015, 01:51 AM
Cloaked Raven, I picture Mike Power would have upgraded his designs with the advances made in tech, some of which I'm sure he'd own patents through Power Robotics.

Matthew.stoops@wmich.edu
11-30-2015, 04:23 PM
I asked this question a while back, but I have not received a response. I don't mean to be rude, or impatient, but this is bugging me.

We flash Dr. Power's "Atomic Eye" by tugging on his dog tag, will head movement be impaired or restricted at all by this? Or did you guys figure out a way to run the wires and such up through the neck post and into the head without blocking some movement?

I know it's only a digital rendering in the image you have provided us, but it looks like head movement is limited to turning his head left and right, foregoing tilting up and down, and combinations thereof.

Again, I don't mean to be rude or impatient, but this is genuinely bothering me.

funpubincadmin
12-03-2015, 10:07 AM
Please note that final samples have not been received, but the new parts are expected to allow normal movement.

Matthew.stoops@wmich.edu
12-03-2015, 10:53 AM
Thank you, this is relaxing to hear.

Matthew.stoops@wmich.edu
12-06-2015, 12:27 PM
Another Question, will there be a nifty instruction sheet included with the figure? Along the lines of the Talking figure Instructions?

morgardee@hotmail.com
01-03-2016, 07:59 AM
Bullet man for 2017? ;)

Matthew.stoops@wmich.edu
01-03-2016, 06:41 PM
Bullet man for 2017? ;)

If the club is still around... ;)

http://www.gijoeclub.com/forums/showthread.php?942-Not-to-intentionally&

christopherjuell@yahoo.com
01-07-2016, 08:42 AM
Looking forward to receiving the figure. The new Mike Power figure encourage me to find my original Mike Power and begin the process of repairing him, hope by the time I'm done with the repairs I'll be able to display both together.;)

01-07-2016, 08:43 AM
I'm with Mogardee, it would be great to see a Bullet man Figure.

Matthew.stoops@wmich.edu
01-07-2016, 08:47 AM
That would be the year I get a little membership figure, I have zero interest in a Bullet Man figure.

01-07-2016, 08:52 AM
In looking at the thread, it seems like a few members would like the hand held copter, for one I would love to see it as well. Maybe one of the members has a 3D printer and could create the copter that could be purchased. Just an idea.

sf49ersphan@aol.com
01-07-2016, 07:10 PM
In looking at the thread, it seems like a few members would like the hand held copter, for one I would love to see it as well. Maybe one of the members has a 3D printer and could create the copter that could be purchased. Just an idea.

I've suggested this too. Seems like a no brainer to me.

jeremydeanbok@yahoo.com
01-07-2016, 07:37 PM
Very excited to receive this new version of Atomic Man. I was just a lad when I had the original and have several in my current collection (because they are so cheap) that I have been able to round up on ebay. The additional outfit and gear are the bee's knees. Will order a few. If it is true this club is closing down, too bad...it was because of this club that sparked my interest again in the Adventure Team. At least I will own a new Atomic Man... :/

jeremydeanbok@yahoo.com
01-07-2016, 07:40 PM
...and yes, I would be happy to get a new version of Bullet Man, I'm in....minus the vintage clothing of course which was a bit creepy.

Matthew.stoops@wmich.edu
01-08-2016, 07:31 AM
I'd still prefer a new Adventurer figure if this is still a thing in 2017. Bullet Man is just a weak, uninteresting character to me.

Matthew.stoops@wmich.edu
01-08-2016, 10:13 AM
When are we going to see a final production figure?

Just curious.

jeremydeanbok@yahoo.com
02-12-2016, 10:59 PM
Let's do this!!

pdkahler@yahoo.com
02-13-2016, 03:47 AM
I've wanted to join GIJCC for years. This figure made me finally pull the trigger. I had the original Mike Powers. I'm really looking forward to the new version!

ptsinclair06@aol.com
02-15-2016, 02:28 PM
We have a preview of Mike Power up at Facebook!

https://www.facebook.com/GIJoeCollectorsClub/photos/a.204322682678.127156.7647037678/10153956277317679/?type=3&theater

sf49ersphan@aol.com
03-16-2016, 02:47 PM
so when does the accessory set go on sale?? i hope the club produced extra's i suspect there might be some of us ordering several.

tkallspark@yahoo.com
04-08-2016, 08:47 AM
Any idea when we're getting Mike?

Matthew.stoops@wmich.edu
04-08-2016, 08:58 AM
Late Spring/Early summer is the usual MO. I don't think anyone can offer anything further until then. I'm sure the Club will send out an email when they've shipped. Right guys? ;)

samurray5@verizon.net
05-03-2016, 04:58 PM
Can't wait for this to ship!

tkallspark@yahoo.com
05-11-2016, 08:34 AM
Any updates?

funpubincadmin
05-12-2016, 04:16 PM
Please note that these are in transit from China.

sf49ersphan@aol.com
05-12-2016, 07:19 PM
Please note that these are in transit from China.

Excellent, does that mean the accessory set will go up for order soon???

funpubincadmin
05-24-2016, 07:02 PM
Please note that we will update when the 2016 GIJCC Incentive Figures arrive and start shipping out to the membership.

stacya1964.sa@gmail.com
05-26-2016, 04:45 PM
Looks cool I hope he has flocked hair

Matthew.stoops@wmich.edu
05-26-2016, 05:21 PM
I don't think he will. Here's the "in hand" sample on their Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/GIJoeCollectorsClub/photos/a.204322682678.127156.7647037678/10153956277317679/?type=3&theater

However, there are quite a number of services that will flock figures for you, however, you may have to be careful with this one, since we don't know how the "pull Dog Tag to light eye" thing works, it may be impossible to remove the head from the body.

stacya1964.sa@gmail.com
05-26-2016, 05:34 PM
its ok I can flock the figure with the head on, I'm also on ebay to help out fellow joe friends

stacya1964.sa@gmail.com
06-06-2016, 08:56 AM
Atomic man arrived today he looks great the light in his eye is pretty cool too

Matthew.stoops@wmich.edu
06-06-2016, 09:41 AM
I hope mine comes soon! Does this mean the Accessory set will go up for sale before too long? Maybe, before the convention? ;) ;) ;)

jgonzaleznj@yahoo.com
06-06-2016, 10:29 AM
Please share a photo when you can.

Matthew.stoops@wmich.edu
06-11-2016, 09:50 PM
Mike is great, two critiques: I wish his head had a full range of movement like other Joes, and I wish the LED eye was really, ridiculously bright, you know, for being an LED.

jgonzaleznj@yahoo.com
06-12-2016, 11:45 AM
http://gijoecollection.lenzus.com/content/15537335/r/s_99717751.jpghttp://gijoecollection.lenzus.com/content/15537335/r/s_51377744.jpghttp://gijoecollection.lenzus.com/content/15537335/r/s_51377742.jpg

giants5680@yahoo.com
06-12-2016, 02:40 PM
Man, I wish I would have opted for one of these instead of two Pythona's. Ive never collected 12" figs but I am getting the sub set at the con. Feeling like I missed the boat.

jgonzaleznj@yahoo.com
06-13-2016, 10:28 AM
It's never too late my friend!

jokerjase25@gmail.com
06-15-2016, 11:12 AM
Got my figure and love him! Turned out fantastic. When will the extra figures and outfits be available in the club store? I keep looking but haven't seen them. Thanks ~ Jase

Matthew.stoops@wmich.edu
06-20-2016, 10:21 AM
Any updates as to when the Accessory set will be up to buy?

funpubincadmin
06-20-2016, 07:52 PM
Please note that the club staff will be returning to the office this week and sorting through inventory. Once that is completed, the membership add-on 12-inch set and any remaining convention items will be posted on the club store.

sf49ersphan@aol.com
06-21-2016, 08:26 PM
Please note that the club staff will be returning to the office this week and sorting through inventory. Once that is completed, the membership add-on 12-inch set and any remaining convention items will be posted on the club store.

:cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:

george_dean_iii@msn.com
06-25-2016, 06:20 PM
Does anyone know when the GI Joe Collectors Club Field Mission Alpha set will be available? The suspense is killing me! LOL:rolleyes: