PDA

View Full Version : Warning to ARAH fans, from the fate of the 12" line

rjhiii@sover.net
04-29-2015, 03:09 PM
https://patchesofpride.wordpress.com/2015/04/29/top-hasbro-executive-derryl-depriest-responds-to-criticisms-from-fans-collectors-of-12-inch-g-i-joes-a-market-is-definitely-being-ignored

So this article basically all but announces that the 12" line is dead. The only 12" producer will be the club. The reason? collector's did not support the line at retail. Whether deemed not quality enough, or priced too high GI Joe fans have to understand we can't wait for them to go to "clearance" at Ross and hope the brand survives. That said, there are some things that need to happen to get kids into the product as well...

Matthew.stoops@wmich.edu
04-29-2015, 04:07 PM
To be fair though, we are a rather fickle and picky crowd. What we want most now is vintage style figures. At least that's what I want most.

And right now, and it appears that forever more (even when the 60th anniversary rolls around I'll wager), the only group to produce the vintage style figures that we (I) want are the GI Joe Collector's Club.

rew97@live.com
04-29-2015, 09:46 PM
Well at least 12 inch collectors still have the club. I am not quite certain the fate of the 12 inch line can be compared to ARAH as the difference between 12 inch and 4 inch collectors is mostly a generational thing. As someone born in the 80's to me GI Joe versus Cobra IS GI Joe while someone born it the late 50's or 60's likely thinks of GI Joe as a 12 inch doll unless they had kids who grew up with ARAH as well. Until a new scale with a new take on GI Joe is introduced (and is very popular) ARAH should be able to survive, and even then the club would still likely produce ARAH product.

rew97@live.com
04-29-2015, 09:51 PM
That article should end with YO JOE not Go Joe.

ds_smith@sympatico.ca
04-30-2015, 08:25 AM
The reason? collector's did not support the line at retail. Whether deemed not quality enough, or priced too high GI Joe fans have to understand we can't wait for them to go to "clearance" at Ross and hope the brand survives.

IMO it's the quality. The Retail offerings were a huge step down from what we had in the 70s. From the odd giant-hands of the figures to the fake-looking equipment the quality was just not there. The Hall of Fame series was almost cartoonish and the Classic Collection not much better off. And the only ARAH 12" crossover I consider worthy is the MARS Trooper - at least he has Kung-Fu grip!

kelty11@verizon.net
04-30-2015, 11:43 AM
The issue with 12 inch joes is quality. Those released most recently, in 2004-06 and 2012 were terrible with molded t-shirts and inaccurately scaled equipment. Also, Hasbro was competing with Dragon, DID, Soldier Story, etc for the 1/6th market. The Classic Collections was wonderful until these other companies started entering the market for WWI, WWII, Vietnam and modern-era soldier. Take DID's WWI line for instance- while not toys they were super detailed collectors items (wood, leather, wool, real shoe laces, etc). Hasbro couldn't keep up with that type of competition in the collector market.

Thompson.hunter58@yahoo.com
04-30-2015, 02:52 PM
I can't speak for everyone, but for me it's just the fact that I grew up in the late 80s early 90s and never owned any 12 inch figures. Only 3 3/4. 2 inch was available then, but I always found the playability of smaller figures much better.

kelty11@verizon.net
04-30-2015, 03:26 PM
I only got into 12 inch joes with the Hall of Fame Series, and of those I only had a couple. I did buy the Classic Collection figures regularly but after 1998 it was only WWII and some modern forces figures. I was never exposed to the original Joes or AT because my parents and other Baby Boomer relatives were actually 2-4 too old for Joes when they deputed in 1964. For me GI Joe is the '80's/'90's iteration as these were the figures that my friends, cousins and I all played with.

I think that Hasbro to follow the market and at the moment quality 12 inch figures are not profitable. I imagine some day "our" gi joe will no longer be profitable after the 20th revision of Hooded Cobra Commander has been released.

I do think that when GI Joe 3 is released Hasbro should test the waters with 2-4 12 inch figures (and not those giant shampoo bottles that have been released for Star Wars Rebels).

Matthew.stoops@wmich.edu
04-30-2015, 04:12 PM
I do think that when GI Joe 3 is released Hasbro should test the waters with 2-4 12 inch figures (and not those giant shampoo bottles that have been released for Star Wars Rebels).

I would have thought that when Retaliation was released, a 12" GI Joe figure with Bruce Willis' face would have been a shoe-in.

rew97@live.com
04-30-2015, 06:11 PM
I only got into 12 inch joes with the Hall of Fame Series, and of those I only had a couple.

I forgot all about those Hall of Fame Joes, I had three... Snake Eyes, Cobra Commander, and Destro. The big draw with those figures was being able to remove the masks and hood, they even advertised Destro by saying you could see his unmasked face if you bought the figure. Something like that may help sales today if Hasbro could cross promote between 12 inch and ARAH fans.

ds_smith@sympatico.ca
05-01-2015, 08:34 AM
I forgot all about those Hall of Fame Joes, I had three... Snake Eyes, Cobra Commander, and Destro.

Those 1991 figures would not entice many 12" collectors. The quality and scale (of weapons!) would have to be drastically improved to have any impact on sales.

dgarlit@gmail.com
05-01-2015, 10:14 AM
I do think a point that is trying to be made here, that it's important to support the brand at retail, is a good one. Buying the sets, even as gifts for kids, when they are available at retail (and not waiting till then get to a discount store) is really the only way to ensure that we keep seeing them there.

rjhiii@sover.net
05-01-2015, 11:53 AM
Great idea, buy the toys and give them to friends kids to play with if you don't want them for your collection (if you don't have very dearly loved special kid(s) in your family). Kids appreciate toys :)

kelty11@verizon.net
05-01-2015, 12:16 PM
I do think a point that is trying to be made here, that it's important to support the brand at retail, is a good one. Buying the sets, even as gifts for kids, when they are available at retail (and not waiting till then get to a discount store) is really the only way to ensure that we keep seeing them there.

The reason why figures from various lines sit untouched in stores is that Target, TRU and KMart now charge anywhere from $12 to $16 for individual figures. No one in their right mind is going to pay that much knowing that they will eventually end up at Five Below, Wallgreens, Rite Aid and Marshalls for $5-$6. Big box stores really need to get their act together in terms of pricing. If I pay $15 for a figure it is usually at a comic store where everything is guaranteed to be mint.

ds_smith@sympatico.ca
05-01-2015, 03:02 PM
Great idea, buy the toys and give them to friends kids to play with if you don't want them for your collection (if you don't have very dearly loved special kid(s) in your family). Kids appreciate toys :)

Buying a toy for your/friend's child in hope the line will continue (better off down the road) is just not sustainable. How many would you buy just to give away, in the hope the company eventually makes one you want to keep?

rjhiii@sover.net
05-01-2015, 03:49 PM
wrong person to ask...lol I have boxes of stuff I bought for my niece and nephew and duplicates go to friends for their kids...lol!

ds_smith@sympatico.ca
05-01-2015, 04:01 PM
Well played. :cool:

rew97@live.com
05-01-2015, 10:04 PM
Those 1991 figures would not entice many 12" collectors. The quality and scale (of weapons!) would have to be drastically improved to have any impact on sales.

To some maybe, but I remember my Father and Uncles being very excited to see the return of the 12 inch Joes they grew up playing with in the early 90's.

tkallspark@yahoo.com
05-02-2015, 11:04 AM
There's no market?.......I say hogwash!!!! The truth is that the marken is there, it's just different than what it was in the past, 90's when Kenner/Hasbro merged I remember seeing 12 inch star wars with cloth clothing EVERYWHERE, sadly the kenner Joes were put on the backburner at least in the beginning, but then even Joe was there in wonderful 12" splendor, What needs to happen is a multimedia tie in for the brand as a whole, G.I.JOE is Hasbro's property, no outside license like transformers and star wars, G.I.JOE from Head to Toe is all Hasbro, I think fans would embrace a 12 inch line of G.I.JOE if they not only gave us figures, but vehicles, Look at the 90's Action Man line, SO MANY VEHICLES, and they sell, Give us a new skylanders esqu video game for G.I.JOE, or like telltell games did for the walking dead (a several chapter G.I.JOE storyline videogame directly tied to new product, there are ways, but like any company there are hurdles, I get it, the market shifted and Hasbro's focus has had to change with the times, but not by putting G.I.JOE out to pasture.

Give 12 inch fans an official 1/6 scale Killer Whale, or 1/6 H.I.S.S. or 1/6 vamp and mms.......They'd Sell!!!!

science_mrk@yahoo.com
05-02-2015, 03:34 PM
There are many reasons why the 12inch line of GI Joe is failing and we could argue it all day but I think the bottom line is truly popularity and cost. I look at the collector's club and even there the 12inch Joe merchandise hangs around and collects dust. In my opinion, the 12inch GIJoe doll is just not a sell anymore to young kids. In that same breath so are the 3 3/4 inch Joes. Children are playing with toys for less and less years as we continue the internet/video evolution. Kids really don't "play" anymore. And for a group of 30something guys to think that they can sustain a toy brand initially intended for children is a bit ludicrous. I own at least two or three dozen 12inch figures but, that's it. As an adult with no children, in all actuality, they just take up way too much space and I'm not willing to pay a high price tag to just keep things in storage. As a toy line GIJoe has done very little to capture the attention of the next generation of kids. Every 5-10 year old knows who the Avengers are and TMNT. GIJoe is a dated brand and unfortunately, a thing of "our" past. Just how I see things.

rew97@live.com
05-02-2015, 07:39 PM
Every 5-10 year old knows who the Avengers are and TMNT. GIJoe is a dated brand and unfortunately, a thing of "our" past. Just how I see things.

Heres hoping the new Joe cartoon in the works can change that, as those lame movies have done nothing positive for the brand.

Matthew.stoops@wmich.edu
05-02-2015, 11:20 PM
There's a new GI Joe Cartoon they're doing?

rew97@live.com
05-03-2015, 12:31 AM
There's a new GI Joe Cartoon they're doing?

I believe I read in State of the Joe 2015 that a new cartoon targated at kids is being developed.

wrxotic02@gmail.com
05-04-2015, 12:38 PM

This is something I've done as well. Several times I've cleared the pegs of shelf warmers and kept them to drop in the toys for tots bins. Now a kid gets a toy and introduced into GI Joe. :)