PDA

View Full Version : Hasbro's Deal with Disney

rjhiii@sover.net
09-27-2014, 08:42 AM
I read the Disney exclusive deal with Hasbro and thought great 3 3/4" Star Wars and Marvel figures stay with Hasbro and GI Joe.

Then I realized what a coup this is for Hasbro- They take a colossal hit to BOTH Mattel and LEGO with this. Exclusive licensing means all the Disney Princess stuff formerly licensed to Mattel is now Hasbro's. It also means that all those licensed Star Wars, and MARVEL Lego figures and playsets are now Hasbro's as well. This means the KRE-O line. LEGO's rise to the largest toy company was built on these licenses- 80% of their sales are for the licensed product lines, and probably 60% are from SW and MARVEL. What a victory for Hasbro, now maybe they can bolster their "main property" a little more as well.

Matthew.stoops@wmich.edu
09-27-2014, 10:31 AM
I kinda want real GI Joe Legos. The KRE-O, while neat, just isn't the same as the tried and true original.

rjhiii@sover.net
09-27-2014, 02:14 PM
Yeah, but Hasbro isn't going to license their product line to their competitors...

manolive@hotmail.com
09-28-2014, 12:59 AM
Plus, Lego has stated in the past that they absolutely will NOT do military themes. And I don't think there's enough fantasy/sci fi in Joe to overcome the military aspect.

BTW, where did you read that? I'd kinda like to read it too ;)

Matthew.stoops@wmich.edu
09-28-2014, 01:05 AM
Plus, Lego has stated in the past that they absolutely will NOT do military themes.

They did a set of the "Little Green Army Men" from Toy Story.

manolive@hotmail.com
09-28-2014, 01:24 AM
I don't know. Maybe cause those little green men didn't shoot anybody in the movie? Or the Lego version was based on a movie, that had characters based on toys, those toys were based on people that shot people. Perhaps that was far enough down the line to be ok.

Who knows, maybe that statement was after they made those.

Honestly, I really should apologize. That statement was hearsay when I read it elsewhere. I really shouldn't have posted it as fact. I have no evidence to back it up. But with the fact that you don't see any, it kinda made sense.

Then again, with the state of many modern Police forces in American today...one could say they already do make military toys.

rjhiii@sover.net
09-28-2014, 09:52 AM
http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/wireStory/hasbro-freezes-mattel-disney-deal-25730393

http://www.bostonglobe.com/business/2014/09/27/hasbro-scores-cool-deal-with-disney/wHzYMCpujiCLWz4zQjynOJ/story.html

and then the one that touches on the long term possibility-goal- Disney-Marvel -Lucas Film-ABC-Hasbro becoming one company...

http://money.msn.com/top-stocks/post.aspx?post=6dd4cbb8-d936-444a-8f2b-6869a1e26688

rjhiii@sover.net
09-28-2014, 09:56 AM
The first place I read it was Disney Hasbro deal and there is an ABC article titled "Hasbro Freezes out Disney" and a business investment article titled "Could Disney be eying the purchase of Hasbro?"

kelty11@verizon.net
09-28-2014, 12:03 PM
Being owned by Disney might do Hasbro a world of good. As a GI Joe and Star Wars fan I have had to endure endless problems since 2003 (delayed product, bizarre case assortments, toys never reaching major stores but ending up in droves at Rite Aid and Five Below, etc). The current Hasbro administration is totally out of touch with kids and collectors. They release SW Angry Birds, a line no one has any interest in and now they are releasing figures with substandard paint jobs, etc. In my mind the Joe line started to deteriorate in 2004 when they decided to include Duke, CC, SE and SS with every wave and short pack almost every collector oriented product. Additionally, Hasbro products are only available for a limited time, if you miss it its too late.

I've noticed that since Disney purchased Marvel, Hasbro's Marvel products are much easier to find and Target, TRU, KMart, etc always have the newest figures in stock.

Go Disney. Clean up Hasbro.

MajorGibroni@gmail.com
09-28-2014, 01:37 PM
Okay, so I've Googled this topic and read a total of 6 articles so far and there is absolutely no mention of pending doom for LEGO as a result of the Disney/Hasbro contract. The only deal going down is that Hasbro will be getting exclusive rights to Disney's FROZEN and Princess related brands. BTW - that doesn't necessarily bode well for us G.I Joe, Star Wars and Marvel Universe collectors since Hasbro is already juggling way too many toy lines and their distribution problems have been out of control for at least the last 4 years. - Furthermore if DISNEY were to take ownership of HASBRO, I believe the quality control issues would increase exponentially and the overall quality of the figure lines would go down tremendously. 5 points of articulation for every brand of action figure guaranteed. :rolleyes:

rjhiii@sover.net
09-28-2014, 02:31 PM
Lego might have been mentioned in another forum discussing this. Anyways as toy companies go- #1 is LEGO, #2 is Mattel and in a distant #3 is Hasbro. Hasbro would be an ideal take over for Disney, with such Disney would control all the licensing of material. It would also allow the movies I want to see (you know the one that takes Larry Hama's Fury Force (aka GI Joe the way history played out) and bring it back into the MARVEL Universe. That would be cool.

manolive@hotmail.com
09-28-2014, 03:36 PM
I'm not really sure I would believe those stats. I mean, I guess they're possible. Lego #1 I get. But Mattel has what? Barbie, Fisher Price, Hot Wheels and some crappy DC figures nobody buys? But Hasbro has:

The Avengers
Beyblade
Captain America
Disney Princess
Easy-Bake
Furby
Furreal Friends
G.I. Joe
Iron Man
Littlest Pet Shop
Marvel
Mr Potato Head
My Little Pony
Nerf
Play-Doh
Playskool
Sesame Street
Spiderman
Star Wars
Super Soaker
Thor
Transformers
Plus almost every board game you can think of. And that ABC story said Hasbro shares were at $55.56, while Mattel was at $31.60. I don't know where to find Lego's stock prices. I let my 401k take care of itself, lol.

Also, they said that Hasbro doesn't get the rights to Frozen until 2016(and that's all it talked about, no mention of any other property). Not really a shift in power to get the rights to make toys based on a movie released 3 years earlier. Not only that, but the speculation that Hasbro would be bought out was from a story 2 years ago and both companies denied any such ideas within the same week if I recall. Although I'm sure in 2 years Frozen will still have some level of popularity and it'll make Hasbro some money. I just think it was reporters dressing up a story to make it sound bigger than it really is.

manolive@hotmail.com
09-28-2014, 03:46 PM
Ok, did a quick search. Found this on an MSN Money article in March:

"Mattel, whose products include Barbie, has a market value of about $14.4 billion, while Hasbro's is about $5.4 billion. If investors valued Lego using the same measures as they do for its publicly held rivals, it would be worth about $17 billion, BMO analyst Gerrick Johnson told Bloomberg. He estimates that Lego is the world’s biggest toymaker in terms of net income, operating income and earnings before interest taxes depreciation and amortization."

But it seems weird that Mattel would have a Market Value of $14b but a stock price of $33.50 and Hasbro is $5b @ $55.34. Far as I could see Lego isn't a public company and we can't really compare public values with private earnings. Here's a couple more stats I found:

Hasbro
Sales 4.16 Bil
Income 321.95 Mil

Mattel
Sales 6.33 Bil
Income 809.19 Mil

Maybe I've underestimated Barbie. Can't blame me, she is just a girl afterall, hahahaha. I'm totally kidding. Just poking fun at people that think that about girls.

Matthew.stoops@wmich.edu
09-28-2014, 05:47 PM
Ok, did a quick search. Found this on an MSN Money article in March:

"Mattel, whose products include Barbie, has a market value of about $14.4 billion, while Hasbro's is about $5.4 billion. If investors valued Lego using the same measures as they do for its publicly held rivals, it would be worth about $17 billion, BMO analyst Gerrick Johnson told Bloomberg. He estimates that Lego is the world’s biggest toymaker in terms of net income, operating income and earnings before interest taxes depreciation and amortization."

But it seems weird that Mattel would have a Market Value of $14b but a stock price of $33.50 and Hasbro is $5b @ $55.34. Far as I could see Lego isn't a public company and we can't really compare public values with private earnings. Here's a couple more stats I found:

Hasbro
Sales 4.16 Bil
Income 321.95 Mil

Mattel
Sales 6.33 Bil
Income 809.19 Mil

Maybe I've underestimated Barbie. Can't blame me, she is just a girl afterall, hahahaha. I'm totally kidding. Just poking fun at people that think that about girls.

There's great fun to be had poking fun at people wit backwards thinking.

Nevertheless, I'm very curious to see where this goes, Mattel will not have the means to produce Disney Princess Barbies, which are always fun to look at, by that I mean "See how close they got it." Their attention to detail is always great. I admittedly own an Angelica and Captain Jack Sparrow pair from On Stranger Tides, and they're great.

I do not know of a girl's figure that Hasbro has the molding for, I may be overlooking it as I'm always on the hunt for new GI Joes.

Overall, this should be fun.

MajorGibroni@gmail.com
09-28-2014, 05:56 PM
Let's hope that Disney never acquires Hasbro, or someday they may put mouse ears on Major Bludd and Snake Eyes the way they do to all Star Wars characters now. Pathetic. Ponda Babba was wanted in 12 systems for crimes to numerous to mention before getting his arm cut off in a bar fight and now look what Disney has done to him: 737

rjhiii@sover.net
09-28-2014, 06:43 PM
We will see what the future hold...

Matthew.stoops@wmich.edu
09-28-2014, 08:02 PM
Let's hope that Disney never acquires Hasbro, or someday they may put mouse ears on Major Bludd and Snake Eyes.

I was thinking that a version of Cobra Commander with the physical mouse ears and the mouse ears Cobra on his chest would be cool.

MajorGibroni@gmail.com
09-29-2014, 08:53 PM
:mad: You should turn in your stripes...

Matthew.stoops@wmich.edu
09-29-2014, 10:33 PM
What?!?!?!? Irony is cool!:p

manolive@hotmail.com
09-29-2014, 10:44 PM
Nevertheless, I'm very curious to see where this goes, Mattel will not have the means to produce Disney Princess Barbies, which are always fun to look at, by that I mean "See how close they got it." Their attention to detail is always great. I admittedly own an Angelica and Captain Jack Sparrow pair from On Stranger Tides, and they're great.

Oh yeah. I might poke fun at the DC figures(mostly cause of the articulation), but the Barbie side has some cool stuff. My wife always made fun of my 12" Joes when I had 'em out by calling them Barbies. Then I found a Barbie version of Octo*****. I couldn't resist. That was my favorite Bond movie as a kid and she looks so much like her and the robe looked like it was straight out of the movie. So now when she call them Barbies all I can say is "Shut up! There's just the one. And she's in the closet. Nobody plays with that one." :o

I do not know of a girl's figure that Hasbro has the molding for, I may be overlooking it as I'm always on the hunt for new GI Joes.
There's always this one:
http://www.yojoe.com/images/resize/h/375/12inch/09/images/baronesslarge.jpg (http://www.yojoe.com/12inch/09/baroness.shtml)
http://www.yojoe.com/12inch/09/baroness.shtml

She's easy to over look cause it was a Comic Con thing and nobody really liked her. You can usually find her in auctions for around $50. I was about to get one, but while I was looking for a good deal Sideshow revealed theirs and I was hooked.

rcmejia@gmail.com
09-29-2014, 11:27 PM
Let's hope that Disney never acquires Hasbro, or someday they may put mouse ears on Major Bludd and Snake Eyes the way they do to all Star Wars characters now. Pathetic. Ponda Babba was wanted in 12 systems for crimes to numerous to mention before getting his arm cut off in a bar fight and now look what Disney has done to him: 737
I went to the Star Wars weekend at disney world and I was frustrated with all the star wars figures ruined with mouse ears. Darth vader with mouse ears painted over and boba fett fighting the Mickey Jedi.