PDA

View Full Version : If you were to relaunch GI Joe today...

rjhiii@sover.net
09-07-2014, 03:11 PM
So if you were the top exec at Hasbro and you had to relaunch GI Joe today where would you begin? 12" , 3 3/4", or another size? GI Joe, AT, Super Joe, ARAH, or other?

For me- I think it would be a high graphic, fast paced action role playing game (think merging HALO, World of Warcraft, Call of Duty, etc) with several levels. You begin the game with Joe Colton- the soldier. Levels 2-5 Joe Colton and the Adventure Team. Levels 5 + ARAH. I would tie the line into the comics, and launch a cartoon and advertise the game heavily. The comics and Cartoon would give player hints/tips to get people to watch.

Then I would launch the 3 3/4 inch scale figures- The gimmick would be that each figure would have a microchip/processor that gave those playing the game "extras" that no one else gets. Extra ammo, extra strength, health, lives, etc. and/or GI Joe vehicles in the game.The figure (foot peg or backpack hole) would plug into the console to be downloaded. I would keep the flag points as well as a way to earn free figures and vehicles (only available through the Collector's Club and Hasbro). Yes the figures would be ME style, and every figure would have a second accessory set because the first one is going to have disappearing knives, swords, guns, etc.

Once the small figures hit the market- I would mass cross promote and license the line the way it was in the 80's. Everything would have a GI Joe tie in that made sense. I then would reintroduce the 12" figures (mostly for collectors) and the small 2" line with a second cartoon and books geared toward younger kids (see Marvel's Heroes line and cartoon which my nephew loves) as a way to make the "combat heroes" type line work.

Thoughts? It has been slow on here so I figured why not spark a conversation :)

Matthew.stoops@wmich.edu
09-07-2014, 03:57 PM
I had an idea for a video game here: http://www.gijoeclub.com/forums/showthread.php?157-GI-Joe-Call-of-Duty-Ideas

Which evolved into a rather complex game.

I like the idea of having figures that include special bonuses for the game though, although I wouldn't have it as part of the figure. I'd do a little SD card inside a briefcase that comes with the figure. Figures with the bonus stuff are packaged with the slogan/phrase "With Mission Intel!" or something similar.

12" inch figures, I'm afraid, are the domain of the Club, and Sideshow. Hasbro's latest 12" inch GI Joes have 5 points of rotation. Rotation. I fear that anything of the scale offered in the future would be subjected to the same sad fate, or worse.

Something for the kids is a great idea.

However, I still want to see GI Joe with a more mature take on things. Almost like Resolute, which I love.

Matthew.stoops@wmich.edu
09-07-2014, 05:44 PM
Or a series of GI Joe themed Nerf Blasters.

rjhiii@sover.net
09-08-2014, 08:02 AM
That would be part of the cross promotion- radios, Nerf/water blasters, clothing etc. As for the 12" they would be geared towards collector's so Sideshow, Gentle Giant and the Club would be the most likely outlets. I like the idea of the chip/memory card being in the backpack or briefcase. I just want to make sure it is something that cannot be easily and/or discreetly "slipped out of the package" by some people. If it was built into the figure, or a chip that pops out of the vehicle it would be harder.

More adult- yes the line could reach two levels with the game. A PG version, and Mature version, and a G version could be made. The biggest way to get toys in the market today are through videogames, even more than the cartoons. In addition having the chips in the figures could "record" play time and unlock even bigger bonuses knowing that the kids are at least playing with them, not just letting them collect dust for the "bonus points: ;)

manolive@hotmail.com
09-08-2014, 09:55 PM
...not just letting them collect dust for the "bonus points: ;)

Shut up! You have NO idea how many bonus points I've got right now. :o

Matthew.stoops@wmich.edu
09-08-2014, 10:05 PM
Shut up! You have NO idea how many bonus points I've got right now. :o

Don't be disrespectful now, it's a valid assessment of how people operate these days... ;)

rjhiii@sover.net
09-09-2014, 06:00 AM
But GI Joe needs to go on adventures in the jungle, dirt, and water. Besides, that "play wear" is what makes the earlier Joes a collectible now if complete and mint, or even MIB or carded.

jimsnow70@aol.com
09-09-2014, 05:38 PM
Don't forget about an animated show to coincide with the action figure release dates.

Matthew.stoops@wmich.edu
09-10-2014, 12:15 AM
I made this in the computer:

rjhiii@sover.net
09-10-2014, 07:44 AM
I would tie the line into the comics, and launch a cartoon and advertise the game heavily. The comics and Cartoon would give player hints/tips to get people to watch.
Once the small figures hit the market- I would mass cross promote and license the line the way it was in the 80's. Everything would have a GI Joe tie in that made sense. I then would reintroduce the 12" figures (mostly for collectors) and the small 2" line with a second cartoon and books geared toward younger kids (see Marvel's Heroes line and cartoon which my nephew loves) as a way to make the "combat heroes" type line work.

Definitely need cartoons for the kids. I also thought about some animated shorts between movies in a little serial format (available afterwards on line) for those that do not want to go to the theater.

In my mind, the Cartoon would be 2 half hour segments- First Adventure Team, then ARAH version.

rjhiii@sover.net
09-10-2014, 07:45 AM
I made this in the computer:

This is definitely cool, but you need a little GI Joe or Cobra logo on it :)

Matthew.stoops@wmich.edu
09-10-2014, 10:19 AM
I thought about that, but I thought the look of the rifle was enough.

rjhiii@sover.net
09-10-2014, 12:46 PM
But when it is out of package it is only a Nerf branded item, maybe combine the logo with Nerf's somehow?

rjhiii@sover.net
09-11-2014, 06:01 PM
So the Cartoon aspect could be split in two segments which includes the ARAH traditional Joe vs Cobra/Iron Grenadiers/Crimson Guard/Coil/ Cobra La and then the second Half being the Story of Joe Colton/Adventure Team but it could also be broken into three segments. The third segment would explore in 3-4 episodes alternate themes such as Star Brigade/ Shattered Glass/ Transformers/Renegades-Retaliation type themes.

MajorGibroni@gmail.com
09-11-2014, 08:20 PM
There really needs to be a cartoon. I would like to see an updated ARAH series reboot start over from scratch with the original cast - but be more gritty like the comics. I also would like to see some kind of Adventure Team sub-series, maybe a weekly mini-episode at the end of each ARAH episode. I also might not be opposed to a kind of GI JOE: The Next Generation concept if it were handled right. Maybe it could feature the student of Snake Eyes and the son of Duke or something along those lines. :confused: As far as video games go, I've always thought a GI Joe game played in a format like Star Wars Battlefront would be cool. It should have a story mode where you can play as JOE or COBRA, and then it should have the multiplayer online option with many characters and maps to choose from. And of course there should be 3-3/4 inch figures and vehicles and playsets out the wazoo every year from now on without end!

Matthew.stoops@wmich.edu
09-11-2014, 10:37 PM
I also might not be opposed to a kind of GI JOE: The Next Generation concept if it were handled right. Maybe it could feature the student of Snake Eyes and the son of Duke or something along those lines.

Dude, check it out: GI Joe: The Next Generation (http://www.joecustoms.com/projects/projects.php?p=tng)

rjhiii@sover.net
09-12-2014, 05:15 AM
Add Beachhead's son who was in a short lived cartoon and Flint and Lady Jaye's daughter Melissa Fairborne could also be part of a Next generation cartoon...