PDA

View Full Version : Hasbro 3-D Printing effect on GI JOE

kelty11@verizon.net
07-22-2014, 10:05 AM
I'd like to know everyone's opinion on Hasbro's partnership with Shapeways to let consumers design and print their own toys.
I think this is an interesting development within the toy world. Once the price of 3D printing drops and the level of detail improves it could be a fantastic alternative to searching brick and mortar and online stores for figures. I imagine a 3D printing service would operate along the same lines of Amazon's MOD program.

Imagine being able to desgin, order and print figures such as Shadowtracker or the Argen 7?

rew97@live.com
07-23-2014, 01:06 AM
I'm excited at the idea of being able to print vintage vehicles whose molds were destroyed. Or maybe we could finally see the Cobra Island playset that was never released in the 80's.

kelty11@verizon.net
07-23-2014, 09:52 AM
I know that the current My Little Pony products are basically statues, I hope that articulated figures for the rest of Hasbro's lines are not too far off. I wonder if the lack of original molds will be an issue since the 3D printers work from digital models. I imagine that Hasbro and other designers might be able to create digital templates for older vehicles and figures. Afterall, physical tooling would not be necessary.

rjhiii@sover.net
07-23-2014, 11:18 AM
3D scanning technology like Gentle Giant uses. Scan each piece and then digitally retool for the Modern Era, or heck you can make the O-Ring figures again if you want.

krob73@yahoo.com
10-25-2017, 03:28 PM
I realize this is an old thread, but has anyone moved on this? I was thinking of scanning ARAH vehicles and up-sizing the parts to fit Modern Era figures.

For example taking a vehicle (ex. Thunder Machine) apart scanning each piece in, enlarging each piece using the scanning software and printing the proportioned 4" pieces to be reassembled.

Or, reducing existing over-sized weapons (ex. SAW Viper's gun) and 3D printing a proportionate one. . . . or replacing broken hovercraft vanes . . . creating customizing pieces to add to vehicles . . .

The potential here is staggering . . .

ERIKSEMAIL@VERIZON.NET
10-27-2017, 11:38 PM
Is the plastic used for 3D printing durable?

Matthew.stoops@wmich.edu
10-28-2017, 01:50 AM
As far as I know, there are different types of plastic you can use, and to answer your query, some yes, some no.

A fellow has been working with Cotswold Collectibles to make 12" accessories for their Elite Brigade line using his 3D printer. I haven't gotten anything, but it does look good.

(Fun factoid, my friend printed the non-mechanical parts of his 3D printer, with a 3D printer. That's some Inception grade printing right there)

blowtorch1984@yahoo.com
11-07-2017, 01:50 PM
I imagine a 3D printing service would operate along the same lines of Amazon's MOD program.

Amazon has a 3D printing service? I looked and couldn't find it. Do you have a link?