PDA

View Full Version : A new cartoon?

iamcanadian@sasktel.net
03-04-2014, 06:16 PM
Have you ever wondered what made ARAH so popular in the 80s and still resonates with its adult fans today?
I believe one reason was because it took a chance and tried something new.

Maybe its time to let the characters retire or die and let a new group take over (most characters would be in their 60s by now). Maybe Cobra should be destroyed or taken over by a different terrorist group, or have new characters take over the leadership positions.

Let Snake Eyes fade to black. Let there be a new team, new enemies, and a new world threat.

What do you think? Should the old guard step back and let the new kids take over? Should the brand start over with a clean slate? Can it actually be revamped like it was in the 80's into something new?

jim_filo@yahoo.com
04-17-2014, 12:10 PM
it would be nice to see people's children (if they had any.)

A young Storm Shadow.

Or perhaps all new characters. There would/will be still a demand for GI Joe if a new cartoon came to life.

jimsnow70@aol.com
04-19-2015, 09:08 PM
With a new brand manager at Hasbro, I really hope we get a new animated series.

russthecobra@yahoo.com
06-15-2015, 01:37 PM
I hope we get a new series as well, when we have a series there are Joes on the shelves.....no we have to wait for exclusive items...I miss having joes in every store.

kelty11@verizon.net
06-22-2015, 02:02 PM
I think it would be hard to recreate the glory of the 80's and 90's (maybe not so much) gi joe cartoons. I've always found the original joes and cobras to be extremely well developed and deeply nuanced. I could be wrong, but I think that any attempt to recreate that success will not be well received. Any new characters would just end up being ultra p.c. cookie-cutter characters that are devoid of all interesting character traits. Try watching any cartoon from the past 15 years (the exception being Clone Wars, MOTU, some of the Marvel and DC Shows) and you'll see what I mean. The rest are simply awful beyond comparison.

jenaeakle@msn.com
07-17-2015, 03:49 PM
I don't think there's a clear artistic vision as to what the brand should be about anymore. The logical place to start is the live-action movies, but the ones we've had read as unrelated spec scripts with GI Joe branding grafted on top.

In our youth, the show was unabashedly pro-American, confident in its presentation of heroes and villains, and just gonzo in its execution. If you can retain those qualities while modifying the shape of the story to reflect modern storytelling techniques, you might make a go of it.

jute_twine@yahoo.com
03-15-2017, 06:21 PM
that would be cool to see a new team , or even a different gijoe cartoon all together .
The could do a adventure team type of cartoon like the way they did Action man a few years back .
As in a smaller team or do more with the red shadow .

sheila4420@hotmail.com
03-17-2017, 05:24 PM
I like to think they don't age in real-time, but do age slower. That way we can have the vets we grew up and loved and new ones as well. That being said, I think they should make a cartoon more grown up for the adults that grew up with the original.

rjhiii@sover.net
03-17-2017, 05:53 PM
Of interest Hasbro just applied for trademark protection for "Knowing is half the battle" spurring speculation on several forums of a possible new cartoon in the future. Just because it was the PSA after the original Sunbow Cartoons.

ATBotts78@gmail.com
03-18-2017, 07:12 AM
I like the suggestions made by BusterMCD and RogueLdr. It needs to follow the ARAH model if it's for kids, whether it's a mix of old and new characters or not. But the core audience, the ones who support the brand financially, deserve a more "grown up," cartoon for all the money we spend to keep it alive. I don't mean they have to swear, show nudity, and gratuitous violence. I simply mean, death is plausible, bullets not lasers, and real world modern themes in plot. It could work. The original file cards are still so rich with source material and still only 1/4 of characters have ever been used to their potential.

charles.phillips@penske.com
03-19-2017, 07:23 AM
I would miss my favorites if they were gone, but would love to have some new ones come in. I loved the episodes when there were guest stars like the Oktober Guard. It would be hard to have such a pro-military, pro-gun, pro-American cartoon do well right now. Yet, that is what I love and would want to see. It would be nice to see the team working with other special forces from around the world on adventures of some sort, battling Cobra, Red Shadows and others. Different partnerships each week, maybe not every week, but most. Fighting different villains, some old some new. GI Joe is and was pretty diverse with it's characters races, but more would help it be more mainstream.

Imagine if we got to see special forces from Germany, Israel, Australia, Brazil, China, India, Egypt, Saudia Arabia, and wherever. It would inspire more figures and at least customs.

ATBotts78@gmail.com
03-19-2017, 02:37 PM
That is exactly what should be done. Imagine the race barriers they would get credit for breaking if despite philosophical differences the Chinese special ops team had to work with Joe to fight common enemies like Cobra, Yakuza, Black Dragons, etc. That would be awesome.

krob73@yahoo.com
03-20-2017, 08:02 AM
The other piece Hasbro should consider is distribution. While I don't think the traditional Networks would pick up a military cartoon right now, they should look to Netflix, Hulu, or Amazon to air them. Netxflix in particular, has shown a affinity for returning to old shows (ex. Fuller House, Gilmore Girls, Voltron, etc). It seems like it would be a perfect match.

I'm sure most people on this forum would like a realistic military cartoon (me included), I believe, for the sake of the brand they need to come up with something new. Their target should be 8-12 year olds, and could be an amalgamation of the Adventure Team and ARAH. Something along the lines of small government team exploring phenomena, performing rescues, and working to stop a new foe (Black Dragons maybe?). I think the key is to be written at a intellectual level like Star Wars Rebels, and less like Robots in Disguise.

j_yoders@hotmail.com
03-20-2017, 09:49 AM
They should do amazon, netflix or direct-to-video. The "Retaliation" cartoon was good, it just needed better marketing behind it. I still meet fans, today, who have never heard of it.