PDA

View Full Version : JoeCon 2018 speculation

robertmsmith65@yahoo.com
08-25-2017, 11:20 AM
Just wondering if anyone with great imaginations and eagle eyes has any interpretations of Joe con 2018 symbol.

ATBotts78@gmail.com
08-25-2017, 12:10 PM
So the Evil Headhunters logo was predominantly red & black. Same as the new logo. The DEF logo had their acronym through the middle like the GI Joe in the new Con logo. Combine those two, you have the colors and design of the new 2018 Convention Logo. But that's just a small guess.

codenamegijoe@yahoo.com
08-25-2017, 08:44 PM
I bet for the last convention, the set will be "stars and strips forever". It will be fitting to end the way it end last time. But truly want cobra law.

cphillips80@msn.com
08-25-2017, 09:42 PM
So me and my friend at the last con noticed..... well more him than me, but anyways. When they showed the location for next con at the panel a capital C A T were in the Chattanooga title they saw so. Our conspiracy theory is....... crimson attack tank. Which going on that a Return of "Tanks for The Memories" theme, modern style. So let the theories run wild my friends

jimsnow70@aol.com
08-26-2017, 09:43 AM
If they can give us the green and blue Mauler's that had been previously scrapped I'll get behind a modern "Tanks for The Memories" set.

Rguthei1@twcny.rr.com
08-26-2017, 09:52 AM
There is one bit of existing evidence that COULD support your theory CHadwill. The most recent FSS series to go through the Reservation cycle was 6.0 which had amongst it's offerings the Night Stalker Commander (One of the Baddies from the last tanks for the Memories Set). I admit she could be a Red Herring but even numbered series had more convention set tie-ins than the odd numbered series (Even's all of the Con Set tie-ins. Odds none) Hardtop could be a potential tie in but more than likely a Red Herring and I'd love it if Guillotine was a potential clue.

ATBotts78@gmail.com
08-26-2017, 03:01 PM
If Guillotine was a clue, then bring on the Plague, because it means we're getting Checkpoint, Rook, and Red Zone in Modern Era!!! Pardon me while I go get a Steel Brigade tattoo etched on my chest. I don't think Plague Troopers will be the set, but I'd take it for the Steel Brigaders that would follow.

Rguthei1@twcny.rr.com
08-26-2017, 05:24 PM
If Guillotine was a clue, then bring on the Plague, because it means we're getting Checkpoint, Rook, and Red Zone in Modern Era!!! Pardon me while I go get a Steel Brigade tattoo etched on my chest. I don't think Plague Troopers will be the set, but I'd take it for the Steel Brigaders that would follow.

I'm with you Abernathy-Was-Right. I've been hoping for a Proper Steel Brigade centric set since I started back into collecting 6 years ago this month. 2014 Does not count.

kelty11@verizon.net
08-27-2017, 01:28 PM
I'm still hoping for a DEF vs Headhunters or an updated Tanks for the Memories.

I like the Plague Trooper concept, but we need something really spectacular. I'm sorry, but the Plague is not it. Maybe if we had two or more years.

robertmsmith65@yahoo.com
08-27-2017, 04:07 PM
Maybe a best of con figures. Hoping for a def set or red shadows

ATBotts78@gmail.com
08-27-2017, 04:45 PM
I didn't even think of Red Shadows!!! Holy cow, the logo is exactly their colors!!

ATBotts78@gmail.com
08-28-2017, 08:52 PM
If it is the Red Shadows, who would the opposing side of the Set be? More SAF? Just a full Red Shadows set with extra troopers and torches? Who else beside SAF would make sense?

j_yoders@hotmail.com
08-28-2017, 09:12 PM
If it's DEF vs. Headhunters I will drive down to Chattanooga from Chicago.

ATBotts78@gmail.com
08-28-2017, 09:16 PM
I felt like that was a sure thing until people on this thread reminded us that A red & black logo could also easily mean Red Shadows. Now I'm not sure which it is, or which I want it more to be.

j_yoders@hotmail.com
08-28-2017, 09:31 PM
I would not pay the expense for Red Shadows. It's a late-run, VERY minor group that doesn't have the cartoon or comic history that the Headman and Headhunters do. Choosing them would be a major step down, especially since it looks like this will be the last chance to do Headhunters as a group for a long time.

ATBotts78@gmail.com
08-28-2017, 09:41 PM
I agree that they would not give the satisfaction that DEF vs Headhunters would, but they have way more comic book credit with British Comics Battle Action Force. They opposed SAF for three solid years of that comic from 83-86, from issue #422 - #602.

j_yoders@hotmail.com
08-28-2017, 10:37 PM
Just such low exposure for the US audience. This is just my opinion, but it would be like getting ANOTHER set that's one group of Joes I want with what might as well be another throw-away enemies assortment. I can't go for that after the BATs.

adrianmaccarthy@yahoo.com
08-30-2017, 08:00 AM
I'd be for a Red Shadows con set with how much press Iron Blood is getting in the IDW universe now.

rjhiii@sover.net
08-30-2017, 08:22 AM
Red Shadows has been highly requested on these boards, but I kind of want to see a "thanks for the memories" set of just figures from 82-90 that have not been updated as I said before. If this is truly the Club's last hurrah, I would want the holes filled as much as possible. Even figures I despised as a kid (but had) like the Hydro Viper. But I know the Club likes themes...

That said, I also saw on the Facebook groups postings indicating "HasCon" is not taking off. That the tours for Sunday have been cancelled because not enough "interest" early sign ups, etc. Hopefully Hasbro realizes it has a good thing with a third party promoting its brands for them since they still have some say and control.

ATBotts78@gmail.com
08-30-2017, 03:04 PM
Interesting. Could a defeat change things this late? I doubt it. They'd have to attempt a few consecutive conventions that tanked before I think they would turn back to third-party licensing. But we can hope! Dear Hasbro, please retain the contact info for Dave Lane and Brian Savage. Because in 2020, you're going to need them. Yo Joe

codenamegijoe@yahoo.com
08-30-2017, 08:37 PM
I would love to see Sgt Slaughter come to this convention. We need one more shot to see the Sarge.

ATBotts78@gmail.com
08-30-2017, 09:00 PM
I agree. The guy is a living legend and we have so few left in this franchise

j_yoders@hotmail.com
08-30-2017, 10:39 PM
Robert Remus for top guest. It can be done. Make it so.

ATBotts78@gmail.com
08-31-2017, 11:15 AM
I'd walk from Pennsylvania to Tennessee to see the Sarge!

krob73@yahoo.com
09-01-2017, 01:19 PM
The logo looks similar, and reminds me of the Cobra's Most Wanted set. Not sure how I'd feel about that . . . although a new Major Bludd would be cool.

rjhiii@sover.net
09-01-2017, 04:15 PM
Most wanted, as in most requested figures to round out collections works for me...lol!

ATBotts78@gmail.com
09-01-2017, 08:17 PM
The colors alone, say Red Shadows, but the colors with the design says DEF vs Headhunters, in my humble opinion. Because of Dojo we are definitely getting Headman, the question is, as an FSS or Con Set? Because the answer to that question, pretty much answers the Con Set question too. Man, the suspense of not knowning anymore FSS identities is killing me, lol.

j_yoders@hotmail.com
09-01-2017, 08:30 PM
Really hoping for Headhunters. Fingers crossed!

codenamegijoe@yahoo.com
09-02-2017, 07:44 AM
I hope this year's set is a good one. But just want Slaughter to be there, maybe issue the 1988 Slaughter.

ATBotts78@gmail.com
09-02-2017, 09:40 AM
Ah, the Warthog driver version! It would be cool. I know a lot of people are also asking for the Slaughter's Mauraders version, since half that set was already made in modern era. I'd be happy with either version. I still have my warthog so I'd love to display it with a modern era version of the 1988 figure.

ATBotts78@gmail.com
09-02-2017, 09:46 AM
Jyoders, are you hoping for Headhunters because you are a fan of those guys, or because you are a DEF fan? Or just hoping beyond hope that the colors don't mean Red Shadows? Do you want Headhunters or headhunter stormtroopers in the set if you had to pick only one kind...just thinking about the BATs issue.

j_yoders@hotmail.com
09-02-2017, 10:05 AM
Because I'm a fan of the Headman and I've never been satisfied by the few figures they've created of him. I like Def, too, but I always thought Headman was a good villain who deserved a good figure. Headhunters over headhunter stormtroopers.

codenamegijoe@yahoo.com
09-02-2017, 07:45 PM
How about a remake of the 2008 set with Sgt Slaughter as super cop. Headhunters vs super cop

kelty11@verizon.net
09-03-2017, 12:50 PM
Here's what the club should do:
1. Con Set should be DEF vs Headhunters
2. Since we already have many of SAF team the club should produce a 6 or 8 pack (boxed or bagged) of Red Shadows: Black Major, Baron Ironblood, Red Laser, 3 or 5 Red Shadow Troopers.

I know this is probably sacrilege, but a Sgt. Savage vs. Gen. Blitz bagged set would be cool.

ATBotts78@gmail.com
09-04-2017, 04:14 AM
I was totally with you until you got sacrilegious, on a Sunday at that! Lol, I'd love to see everything else that you said though for certain. And then to make me the pot calling your kettle black, Rook Checkpoint and Red Zone vs Remaining Plague Troopers as part of FSS 7.0.

NS550@aol.com
09-05-2017, 07:01 PM
I really hope the set turns out to be DEF vs Headhunters, if they do that it would be nice to focus on members that haven't had ME figures yet, like longarm, mace, and bulletproof. They could even add new members with characters that still don't have ME versions, like stretcher for the team medic.

I see a lot of posts wanting a steel brigade vs plague troopers set but I feel like we missed our chance to have rook, check point, and red zone with the zombie con set. We got generic Steel Brigade instead and that makes me a bit sad because I would've liked to have seen ME versions of those. As it is though I think DEF/Headhunters would be most likely, especially since the majority of the head hunters side will only need 2 molds, the headhunters and the stormtroopers. Toss in a headman and that could be a full set.

ATBotts78@gmail.com
09-06-2017, 04:15 PM
I agree with your prediction and manufacturing ease, I also agree that it's sad that we didn't get Rook, Checkpoint, and Redzone in Modern Era. They also would've been very easy to manufacture, technically all you would need was three heads and the 30th Brigade body if you were really cutting costs.

With 20+ FSS spots left in the final order, we could hope for them there, but let's be realistic, those three characters are outside the 1982-1989 time frame, and the push will be for those spots, and while I don't totally agree with it being that exclusively, I get why everyone will want that. But these 3 plus some Red Shadows characters would be great FSS editions.

jimsnow70@aol.com
09-06-2017, 06:12 PM
DEF vs Headhunters. Red Shadows for 2 and 3 pack exclusives.

bassistcarlos@sbcglobal.net
09-06-2017, 11:08 PM
In no particular order, I'll be happy with:
1. DEF vs. Headhunters
2. Red Shadows vs. SAF
3. Plague vs. Steel Brigade
4. Modern Tanks For The Memories

But sad on missing out on the other 3.

ATBotts78@gmail.com
09-07-2017, 10:21 AM
I'd be happy with any of your first three selections. And really sad about the other 2. But perhaps if FSS is not completely devoted to 1987-1989 gap filling we could still see a random sampling of the aforementioned subteam sets

etquick2003@yahoo.com
09-07-2017, 11:29 PM
I think you're right Abernathy. Other FSS series have had a mix abs we could see that again.

ATBotts78@gmail.com
09-08-2017, 07:18 AM
Yeah man, here's to hoping that Rook, Checkpoint, Red Zone, Baron Iron Blood, Black Major, Plague Troopers, and a Red Torch make it into the Final FSS.

charlesbarry1975@hotmail.com
09-08-2017, 12:51 PM
Well everyone. I took a quick stock of all the conventions sets to date & we have all the sub teams. Some of them twice. If they are looking for a theme for this years set, why not do a G.I.Joe Renegades versus Cobra Industries!!! A fun tie in for possibly the final Club sponsored convention. Picture if you could... Cobra Industries being the "sponsor" for the convention & squashing all the negative publicity they have been getting over the years to announce that this is the final "Joe" convention. If the club gets their license renewed then they could tie in a "new" direction for convention. A way to add a humorous silver lining to a dark cloud. I tried my best on Hasbro's site to secure a Revolutionaries Set, but they sold out fast. All I wanted was the Renegades Roadblock. What does everyone else think.

ATBotts78@gmail.com
09-08-2017, 01:26 PM
Sorry brother, but Renegades to me is Taurus, Mercer, and Red Dog. I watched all the recent Renegades cartoons but didn't enjoy them very much. I'd rather the club take an o-ring only subteam and make a modern era version of said figures. With the red and black logo coupled with the ridiculous Dojo FSS Headman knockoff, I'd say DEF vs Headhunters is a lock, but possibly a Red Shadows (first modern era figure versions) as the long shot alternate outcome. But good luck to you in getting your Renegades Roadblock on the secondary market.

skoor.cr@gmail.com
09-10-2017, 10:43 AM
I had an idea for a DEF/HEADHUNTERS/DREADNOKS set. First lets start with the 15 fig set,
1 bullet proof
2 law
3 longarm
4 cutter
5 mutt
6 muskrat
7 headman
8 gristle
9 headhunter
10 headhunter
11 stormtrooper
12 stormtrooper
13 headhunter guard
14 headhunter guard
15 cooker (a remake of roc rex but with a night creeper leader head)
3pack headhunter drivers
HEADHUNTERS vehicles a remake of ninja combat cruiser and a pair of city strike cyber snakes
DEF gets a remake of the 50th vamp
Mace with a dreadnok storm cycle
Dreadnok Crusher and Demolisher 2 pack
My thoughts are Mace goes under cover and infiltrates the dreanoks to use their connections to get to the Headman. Any thoughts on this idea?

lukeruzinsky@gmail.com
09-10-2017, 09:42 PM
I'm liking that list skoorcard! I am hoping for a DEF vs Headhunters set myself! This is my first convention so I would be disappointed if they did Red Shadows since I have no connection with them. I'm hoping that hotel will still have rooms October 1st when I can reserve them though! I bet they will fill up soon.

efvogler3rd@yahoo.com
01-26-2018, 02:07 PM
So any speculation on the COnvention Attendee exclusives?

Two SAWs and 3 ROCK Vipers?

arock1922@yahoo.com
01-27-2018, 11:40 AM
I like skoorcard’s list but I would take out Cooker and for the first time go with 7 Joes in a Con Set with Shockblast. He was always my favorite DEF figure. Plus it would leave the set incomplete and for completists like me that would sting. I know he could always be done in a future FSS but so could Cooker. I would rather have to wait for Cooker than Shockwave, err, Shockblast.

kelty11@verizon.net
01-27-2018, 12:03 PM
As a stated in another thread I am really disappointed we won't see DEF, Headhunter, and Red Shadows before the end of the club. Truthfully, the missing Slaughters characters could have been released as a regular bagged club exclusive. Maybe the club had limited access to molds this year?

ATBotts78@gmail.com
01-27-2018, 03:02 PM
I don’t want to be a dreamsmasher here, and I echo the disappointed sentiment Over the loss of DEF vs Anybody, but there’s no way we get DEF in FSS 8. They’ve never done multiple sub team members in an FSS. Those are reserved for Con Sets only. Or at best you get one member of a subteam as one roster spot of an FSS. With this being the last one, there’s no way they make one or two of DEF knowing they can’t finish the team next year. FSS 8 is going to have some characters made from Kitbashes and repaints, and I say that because 2017 & 2018 Con Sets contain more of that than ever before.

axonrey@gmail.com
01-28-2018, 09:21 AM
I don’t want to be a dreamsmasher here, and I echo the disappointed sentiment Over the loss of DEF vs Anybody, but there’s no way we get DEF in FSS 8. They’ve never done multiple sub team members in an FSS. Those are reserved for Con Sets only. Or at best you get one member of a subteam as one roster spot of an FSS. With this being the last one, there’s no way they make one or two of DEF knowing they can’t finish the team next year. FSS 8 is going to have some characters made from Kitbashes and repaints, and I say that because 2017 & 2018 Con Sets contain more of that than ever before.

FSS 2 had TF Shipwreck and Air Tight. 4 had TF Outback and Sneak Peak.

Rguthei1@twcny.rr.com
01-28-2018, 10:59 AM
FSS 2 had TF Shipwreck and Air Tight. 4 had TF Outback and Sneak Peak.

FSS 2 Also had Dragonsky and Big Bear from October Guard.

ATBotts78@gmail.com
01-28-2018, 06:24 PM
Ok, I stand corrected but each of those sub teams had modern era treatments prior to FSS. There’s no way they start a subteam like DEF that they don’t have enough license time to finish next year. I would love love love to be wrong here, but a bunch of BATS in 2017 Con Set, and a bunch of repaints in 2018 speak otherwise.

j_yoders@hotmail.com
01-28-2018, 06:40 PM
Yeah, we already had Oktober Guard vs. IG in a previous set. Dragonsky, Big Bear and the TFs were just fill-ins from those earlier sets. Plus, the large amount of TF characters that were released to retail as part of 25th anniversary.