PDA

View Full Version : Idw: Arah #241

robertmsmith65@yahoo.com
07-01-2017, 05:55 PM
So just got done reading this issue and have a couple questions:

1st is sneak peak really dead?
2nd didn't sneak peak die in the marvel run with all the other Joe's.
3rd since that marvel run has hams killed anyone else off besides snake eyes

j_yoders@hotmail.com
07-01-2017, 09:50 PM
4th Why is Salvo a fat black woman?

ATBotts78@gmail.com
07-01-2017, 10:02 PM
Smitty,

Sneak Peek did die in the Marvel ARAH. Hama used him after the relaunch of IDW ARAH, and then after editorial reminded him that Sneak Peek was dead, Hama wrote one of my favorite post Issue #155 Joe stories, involving Sneak Peak actually doing espionage work and it was revealed that he had never actually died in the Marvel run. Then Hama went back researched that story and had present day Sneak Peek find out his mother died without ever knowing he was still alive and in deep cover.

To answer your other question, yes some have died in the IDW continuation of ARAH, Adele Burkhart is the first that comes to mind. I'm sure someone else can add to that list.

adrianmaccarthy@yahoo.com
07-02-2017, 06:55 AM
Salvo is from the Sitterson run, not Hama

Abernathy is totally right, Sneak Peek's reintro was a complete error on Hama and the editors part, but he crafted a pretty cool story out of it, he may be dead or he may not be.

Hama has also killed Billy and Serpentor

j_yoders@hotmail.com
07-02-2017, 08:25 AM
Oh, good. I seriously stopped reading all the IDW stuff after that monstrosity so it's nice to know they have at least one series that isn't a gut-punch to fans and continuity.

kelty11@verizon.net
07-03-2017, 11:35 AM
I am still reading Hama's Joe, but the new Joe is total garbage. Terrible writing and rushed art (which is amusing because the book is always late). I read that Joe and MASK are ending in Sept. and being merged into a single book (another god-awful idea).

I am not surprised that IDW has lost money over the last year - constantly late comics, all the good HCs seem to be out of print and they continue to publish huge amounts of licensed books that no one buys, if my local shop is an indication.

ATBotts78@gmail.com
07-03-2017, 04:01 PM
Maybe this will tank faster than we even expected. If sales hit all-time lows, they'll have to scrap it right? No matter what the Hasbroverse is planning in film right? A guy can hope, can't he? Pretend it was all a parallel dimension, and either go back to Krake and Michael Monk, or start from scratch with a new writer

adrianmaccarthy@yahoo.com
07-03-2017, 05:12 PM
I was liking were Travis was taking the story in the Fall of GI Joe arc, but they wouldn't let her tell the story right. Sitterson's book just doesn't feel right.

ATBotts78@gmail.com
07-03-2017, 09:08 PM
Cardinal Trooper,
I absolutely loved Karen Traviss' GI Joe Arc. It was amazing. The thing that upsets me was that she was promised twelve issues, and then told to finish it in four to five less issues. They told her they wanted to go in another direction, but it was over a year before they did another issue. She could have finished her story and they still would have had eight plus months of silence before they relaunched. Karen Traviss really got shafted, and it's a shame because her stuff was street level, reality based, and made the Joes seem real. She was the best joe stuff I've read since Mike Costa and David Lapham.

j_yoders@hotmail.com
07-04-2017, 09:02 AM
At my shop they warm pegs. It ***** because IDW has great writers on its 5 Transformers books and they won't transfer one to a Joe book or even give someone like Karen Traviss more than five issues. I know they could do some quality storytelling but it's like Hasbro and IDW's brass don't even care.

kelty11@verizon.net
07-04-2017, 10:19 AM
I loved Karen Traviss' Joe because it was reality based. No Mutants, brainwave scanners (no offense to Larry Hama), space aliens, secret snake civilizations in the Himalayas. Reminds me of when I thought for a second that "The Hurt Locker" was GI Joe during the trailer!!

I really wish the Joe license would revert to Marvel. Most of their books are terrible at the moment, but Joe could be good under Garth Ennis, Jason Aaron, Cullen Bunn, etc. Plus we'd receive some great Joe Omnibuses (we'd have the whole ARAH series in deluxe oversized format in a little over a year as opposed to IDW's years long release schedule for the Complete Collections).

ATBotts78@gmail.com
07-04-2017, 04:01 PM
Agreed, with an *. Most of Marvel's own books stink right now, but their Star Wars stuff is pretty good. I'm sure they could do Joe at least good. I'd still love to see Brandon Jerwa get a chance to come back to Joe as he's said he'd do in a heartbeat. My dream would be Greg Rucka or Ed Brubaker

krob73@yahoo.com
07-06-2017, 10:40 AM
I thought the Karen Traviss run was a disaster from the get go. I didn't feel like it tied to anything that came before, and felt more like a "What IF?!" or "Elseworlds" story. It was too random and disconnected. I really don't think 12 issues would have improved it. To me, it was the worst of the pre-revolution seasons.

ATBotts78@gmail.com
07-06-2017, 11:10 PM
I strongly disagree, but it's not worth the debate, considering the unholy crap they're producing now, our debate would be the battle of who could care less. I don't understand how much longer this will go until IDW pulls the plug. Or maybe Hasbro has them by the balls in contract negotiations. Who knows, but I doubt you can find ten people to disagree that the current run is the worst thing ever produced with the Joe name on it.

robertmsmith65@yahoo.com
07-07-2017, 11:40 AM
Arah is okay. Revolution can't read. While I was at comic book store they tried to give another guy revolution Gijoe and he refused

kelty11@verizon.net
07-07-2017, 02:11 PM
It seems to me that IDW overreached on all its properties. Their licensed comics used to be really good, but now it seems that most of their monthly catalog is pretty bad. Everything is late and I think the art (especially the cover art) has really been suffering over the last year or so.

I think at this point they are just fulfilling their contractual responsibilities with Hasbro. They are either waiting for the Hasbro Universe to officially launch or they will be losing the contract to put out TF, Joe, and others in 2018 or '19.

ATBotts78@gmail.com
07-07-2017, 09:28 PM
LKelty I have to agree. It's sad, I want to support the brand, but this Joe stuff is unredeable, and it shows the authors are neither fans nor did they do the simple research of reading the on-line available filecards let alone read the best written stuff from the published catalogue.

ozcouple@live.com
07-09-2017, 10:16 AM
Cardinal Trooper,
I absolutely loved Karen Traviss' GI Joe Arc. It was amazing. The thing that upsets me was that she was promised twelve issues, and then told to finish it in four to five less issues. They told her they wanted to go in another direction, but it was over a year before they did another issue. She could have finished her story and they still would have had eight plus months of silence before they relaunched. Karen Traviss really got shafted, and it's a shame because her stuff was street level, reality based, and made the Joes seem real. She was the best joe stuff I've read since Mike Costa and David Lapham.

Amen, Brother!

krob73@yahoo.com
07-10-2017, 03:04 PM
No back to G.I. Joe . . .

Yes, I believe Sneak Peak is really dead this time. I would like to see Larry get back to using some of the more obscure characters mixed in with the classics, like he did with Long Range and Torpedo.

I hate to say it, but maybe Larry needs to go back over his initial run again. This is the second time Zartan has tried to repent to the ninja clan. The first time lead to the death of the Blind Master, if I'm not mistaken . . . I like what he's done, but I think he needs to shift gears.

ATBotts78@gmail.com
07-10-2017, 08:20 PM
If Hama could be gently reminded that he's actually writing for the adults who used to be kids, and that we love when he writes from his heart about his military past, that would be great. Because he's brilliant and untouchable when he writes that way. When he writes like he's still trying to sell toys to kids, it's blue Ninja awefulness.