PDA

View Full Version : New club member, long time collector convention question...

Thompson.hunter58@yahoo.com
11-05-2014, 11:40 PM
Hello fellow Joe collectors. I was curious as to how getting the exclusive figures at the cons works. When does registration usually begin an end and how exactly do we find out about all the details?

Matthew.stoops@wmich.edu
11-06-2014, 12:05 AM
They'll let you know when registration starts, usually after the first reveal of convention exclusives.

Souvenirs are a bit of a different price I think, figures and sets made to compliment the set, usually sold at the Club's table for a seemingly high price, but you can probably find them after they're sold out for double that easy.

11-06-2014, 01:46 PM
Ty for the info. I was told that you could register and pay a little extra and have boxed sets sent to your house, is this true or was this person pulling my leg? I hope so because I probably won't be able to make the convention this year because of family stuff... But I'd hope to still be able to order at least the box set ( and other exclusives if possible) for club prices even if I can't make the convention

Matthew.stoops@wmich.edu
11-06-2014, 02:10 PM
It's true.

It's called the "Home-front Heroes" package for the 3 3/4" set, and the "Base Commander" package for the 12" set.

I don't think you get any of the souvenirs but you get some other goodies.

kelty11@verizon.net
11-06-2014, 02:49 PM
Unfortunately, you have to attend the Convention to obtain the Souvenir figures. Sometimes they are available in the club store after the con, but not recently. Your best shot, aside from attending the convention, would be to find someone the boards who is attending and can get the figures for you at the convention. Otherwise it's Ebay and 5x price hikes.

Rguthei1@twcny.rr.com
11-06-2014, 03:56 PM
The trick though if you coordinate with someone who is going as far as having them get you the attendee exclusives is to find someone who is willing to sell them to you at cost of a lreasonable amount above cost. I've found one time when I didn't go with my usual on site rep and went with someone else and I ended up paying well above market price (closer to ebay pricing) for the new items I wanted.

What you might be able to do is find someone who is willing to assist with the box set and also get you the Attendee stuff since someone like that would likely be more willing to get the exclusives for you at a reasonable cost.

11-06-2014, 06:25 PM
Wow thanks so much for the info! You really do get your money's worth with the club membership :) I know a few people I may be able to work something out with... My wife's family friends will be in town to come see our baby the 9th thru the 11th so I probably won't be able to go :/ but hopefully I will be able to work something out or those dates will be wrong or something. I've been buying past con souvenirs and the prices are killing me so hopefully I'll be able to work something out that isn't so pricey. keeping my fingers crossed :)

alyoshas_corner@yahoo.com
11-08-2014, 12:25 AM
My question to you is this: If your not willing to take the time off from work, and pay the expenses to travel, why should someone pick up the attendee exclusives for you at a "reasonable" price (near costs)? I'm not trying to be inflammatory, but I see posts like this every year, and I really want to know what your thinking.

11-08-2014, 02:37 PM
its not a matter of taking off work.. read my post, am i supposed to tell my wife and daughter im not going with them to do family stuff so i can go to a convention? i WANT to go but cant, so if i know someone willing to hook me up whats wrong with that?

Matthew.stoops@wmich.edu
11-09-2014, 12:11 PM
His point is, that some of the items in question are attendee exclusives, and if you can't attend, why are you trying to get them? I realize you want to go, and by relation you want those exclusives, however some things are better left as they are described. Attendee exclusives are for attendees. Get some next time.

Don't mean to sound harsh with this, imagine it being read to you by a loving grandfather-figure.

11-10-2014, 11:52 AM
Because for the last year I've been spending $120-$200 a figure to get exclusives, and if I know someone that will help me out I personally don't see anything wrong with that. I'd do it for someone else if I was asked.

11-10-2014, 12:06 PM
Also, keep in mind I am a NEW member, if there is some kind of etiquette I missed, then I'm sure i will learn over time. I'm not trying to step on anyones toes, or upset anyone that might be trying to buy attendee exclusives to sell for 5x the original cost, but in all honesty taking one POSSIBLE customer (myself) off your potential list of customers isn't going to hurt your business, HOWEVER II DO see how several people making a habit of it could, my possible contact that would help me out is NOT someone i met through these message boards, therefor if it would make you feel better I will not discuss it on here anymore.

kelty11@verizon.net
11-10-2014, 01:02 PM
I don't see what the issue is. I've heard of people doing this for fellow club members or board members on other sites all the time and the mark-up on the items is usually not that bad- maybe twice the convention price. I think we all want to avoid the scalpers who gobble up multiple sets and then pawn off $65 sets for $399. This is why the club should find some way of eventually getting previous souvenirs back out to club members- i.e. multipacks, carded versions, etc. I personally will never pay someone $500 for Freestyle and Chuckles. I see ebay as the major problem as well as people who attend conventions, whether it is Joe Con, NYCC, SDCC, etc.

rjhiii@sover.net
11-10-2014, 01:46 PM
Everyone wants the exclusives at issue price, whether we can attend or not. We all lamented about the SDCC exclusive because we could not attend and the price went crazy (although a little different is we were suppose to have a chance to buy online as well). That said, I am no much of a convention goer. I buy my homefront heroes package and then pick and choose on the exclusives on Ebay and other online retailers. This year none of the exclusives interested me, except Joe Colton. I bought it from one of the people that attended for about double what he paid. We were both happy in the end. That said, and because I am buying them as toys for my favorite little collectors (Niece Age 6, Nephew Age 4) I am not going to spend 3 or 4 times the original price. I find they come way down about 6 months after the event, go up for around 3 months around the conventions, and fall back into line. The idea that trying to have someone buy them reasonably for someone else is not outrageous. The reality is there are dealers and others (who make a living going to toy and comic cons) buying multiples of everything up to their limits, then having friends/employees do the same and the items sell out. I know a lot of collectors that went to the 2014 convention and tried to get the ARAH Joe Colton figure, only to be told it was sold out. Within a day of the release one person had 25 for sale BIN "in hand" for $200 + free shipping on Ebay . That person sold there last one in July as a best offer and they had reduced the price to $100. I bought mine off Ebay for $75 shipped (and I would have rather had an option to give that money directly to the Club) as the person I bought it from had 5 to sell originally. That said, I understand the reason for the exclusives to get more people to sign up for the convention and actually attend. After all, if we could all pay simple retail most would not even attend the cons and the line would die out. Double edged sword for sure. So what is the answer? Simple repaint, and packaging. Attend and get it bagged with a production art proof card at convention pricing, don't attend get it 6 months later in a larger run (with a slight color variation) bagged and no proof card for club retail price (convention price + x $ amount). Incentive to attend the cons is maintained, and increased sales overall results. Making collectors and the club happy...

Rguthei1@twcny.rr.com
11-10-2014, 04:00 PM
Yet your idea Windsor is unfortunately not what ends up happening. Once the Convention is over the Club in the past except with the Octobenr Guard Set hasn't been known to do a second run otherwise we would have seen a second if not third run of some of the more popular Paradrop figures.

rjhiii@sover.net
11-10-2014, 04:19 PM
Maybe someone at the club will actually read this post in their random checks...

jared.vitosh@gmail.com
11-10-2014, 05:21 PM
Attendee exclusives are for attendees. Get some next time.

By this logic, no one who attends should be allowed to sell their souvenirs on eBay after the convention.

kelty11@verizon.net
11-11-2014, 10:50 AM
I like your idea WindsorVT. I freely admit that I am not a big convention goer. I went to NYCC because I live in NYC, but most cons are too far from where I live and the inconveniences of modern travel are enormous. I apologize to my fellow Joe fans, but no convention is worth spending hours and hours at LaGuardia (fellow NY'ers will know what I mean). I have usually held off on purchasing the souvenirs as they are expensive and I believe the club or Hasbro will eventually provide us with updated or carded versions of some characters.

ds_smith@sympatico.ca
01-21-2015, 10:15 PM
Attendee exclusives are for attendees. Get some next time.

What's your opinion on the Golden Ticket, whereby attendees can purchase multiples of the exclusives?
Wonder what they do with those extras? Place them all on the same shelf?

Matthew.stoops@wmich.edu
01-21-2015, 10:55 PM
I' still new to all the ins and outs, I've only been to one. However, if I was an avid collector, with more of a mindset for collecting than I do now, and had the monetary means to buy more than one set, this is what I'd do:

Set I: kept sealed
Set II: Opened so I can play with it/display it as needed.
Set III: Ebay the sucker.

ERIKSEMAIL@VERIZON.NET
01-21-2015, 11:06 PM
I sure would like to find someone to pick up one of each for me. I am just not able to attend due to the birth of my first baby boy expected April 15th. Anyone willing to help me out?

01-22-2015, 09:46 AM
Same here except not for a birth, i simply do not have the money to go plus have other familt things going on. I would he willing to buy one souvenir for each one you buy me... I only want one a piece for my collection. Soin otger words, I'll pay for your souvenirs one to one. Message me if interested.

j_yoders@hotmail.com
01-22-2015, 10:31 AM
I would say a reasonable cost is the cost of registration plus gas or airfare and the hotel costs. You don't have to go to EVERY day of the con to get the exclusives so I'd say one night's hotel stay plus half of what it cost you to drive/fly is enough to add to the cost to "hook someone up."

ds_smith@sympatico.ca
01-22-2015, 10:43 AM
I would say a reasonable cost is the cost of registration plus gas or airfare and the hotel costs. You don't have to go to EVERY day of the con to get the exclusives so I'd say one night's hotel stay plus half of what it cost you to drive/fly is enough to add to the cost to "hook someone up."

Maybe I'm reading your post wrong but... are you suggesting that, in order to pick up some souvenirs for someone non-attending, they should, in addition to cost of souvenir, pay you cost of one night's hotel, plus half of travel costs?

j_yoders@hotmail.com
01-22-2015, 12:39 PM
Maybe I'm reading your post wrong but... are you suggesting that, in order to pick up some souvenirs for someone non-attending, they should, in addition to cost of souvenir, pay you cost of one night's hotel, plus half of travel costs?

Half of one night's hotel stay, plus half of travel costs. It seems reasonable to me because they will pay more than that for the "souvenirs" - which are actually convention exclusives only for attendees - on the secondary market.

I'm not trying to gouge anyone, just showing what the actual costs that attendees pay ON TOP OF THE COST OF THE ITEM are.

ds_smith@sympatico.ca
01-22-2015, 01:05 PM
Half of one night's hotel stay, plus half of travel costs. It seems reasonable to me because they will pay more than that for the "souvenirs" - which are actually convention exclusives only for attendees - on the secondary market.

I'm not trying to gouge anyone, just showing what the actual costs that attendees pay ON TOP OF THE COST OF THE ITEM are.

Unless you are staying in Motel 6 and traveling Greyhound coach, then yes, I'd say you are gouging.
Even with 100% markup on "secondary" market it won't be as much as you are asking for.

That's a few times I've seen people say "convention exclusives for attendees only" only to see them talk about selling them.
So they are only for attendees - so they can peddle them for profit?

01-22-2015, 01:32 PM
I have looked at the prices from last year, and yes prices are high after market, and considering that, and depending on how many 3 3/4 souvenir sets there are, i could see not paying all that, but maybe a little more than is being offered. As far as what i am asking, Im only asking for onr of each, im buying my homefront set, but one of each souvenir to open and put in my collection. There will be plenty of others to pay the aftermarket prices and make your money. If anyone would like to help and work something out (at least willing to go one for one) message me please. I will not be able to make this convention, undoetunately, but will make next years and would definitely be willing to do the same. It doesnt hurt to ask, all you can do is say no and we go about our business.

PS: sorry fod typos and bad punctuation. My phone is impossible to type properly on.

ERIKSEMAIL@VERIZON.NET
01-22-2015, 02:13 PM
This would be a decent thing to do. I don't think compensation is in order. I would do it if I was going.

01-22-2015, 07:27 PM
Totally agreed. I don't mind compensating though bc of the possible profits that can be made off them, at the same time, as a fellow gi Joe collector, and knowing how I love to add to my collection, if someone asked me I wouldn't feel right asking ebay prices.

j_yoders@hotmail.com
01-23-2015, 11:04 AM
And you can call it gouging or whatever you want. I can promise you mine won't show up on the secondary. I'm the one paying the expense of travel, lodging and the fees of the convention. I'm not going to do that for free so someone else can get the benefit of attending without paying all of that other stuff. The guy asked and I posted what I thought would be reasonable for me. Anyone else is free to spend all of that money and sell for what he or she feels is fair. This is just my all-in price, and I've detailed everything I will have spent to arrive at it.

funpubincadmin
01-23-2015, 11:49 AM
This topic is being closed, since it has digressed from the original posters question and answer.