PDA

View Full Version : Silver 50th Anniversary Coin qty question...

brian@funpubinc.com
03-17-2014, 09:50 AM
We have had a lot of people concerned that they will not be able to get the coin because the max number we published was 200. This is just a number we picked and it appears that the demand will be higher than this. So, I'm asking for feedback if you would like us just to make the number that is ordered and remove the cap. This will allow everyone that wants a coin to get it.

Please post your comments here as we get ready to start registration, hopefully still this week.

Brian

kidzmd@outlook.com
03-17-2014, 10:25 AM
Bump the numbers a little, but keep it a limited run, 300-400 at the most. 1 per registrant, also.

mark.brockman@outlook.com
03-17-2014, 10:27 AM
I think price point would determine if some people want one or not. If they're less than $50.00 I'd probably be interested. If they're more than that I wouldn't. How many are ultimately produced doesn't matter to me at all.

Xavieur@aol.com
03-17-2014, 10:39 AM
Was a price I read of nearly $130 per coin accurate?

Are these "proof" coins of .999 clarity?

Silver price is barely $25 these days, "gold plate" or not. Keep in mind the silver .999 Proof coins from '86 era are hardly at $50 folks nearly 20 years later, so I don't see much "monetary appreciation" in value for these.

Basically, if you make it "whoever orders these gets one" its kind of like the "mints" that make as many as they sell... and they have no value afterwards, so the ASK price should be relatively low. Make as many of the "brass" coins as you want, but these should have clear limits - 250 max, otherwise why buy? Hopefully "price" is Relationary to quantity....

jembond@hotmail.com
03-17-2014, 10:54 AM
Price to silver value has nothing to do with the coin. Make enough for everyone who orders in the first day.

cptsamwisher@aol.com
03-17-2014, 10:55 AM
The only limit this needs is that it be a one-time chance to order the coin. The Club should sell as many coins as are ordered-- no arbitrary total cap at all. It's better to be sure that every collector wanting something extra for the anniversary can get it than to have a limit as an act of charity for the secondary market.
In general I think all the Club offerings should be moving towards the FSS model to maximize Club revenues; this is especially important now that Fun Pub is effectively the main manufacturer of new Joe product. Yo, Joe!

uncleneat@gmail.com
03-17-2014, 11:22 AM
My son and I would love to have one. But I hope the 130. Dollar amount is not correct.

rjbarnhart@zoominternet.net
03-17-2014, 11:57 AM
Price to silver value has nothing to do with the coin. Make enough for everyone who orders in the first day.

I like this idea. I plan to order a coin.

heathdj@gmail.com
03-17-2014, 12:11 PM
I agree make enough for people who order by a certain day. Maybe not the first day but at least within the first week.

cardensb@hotmail.com
03-17-2014, 12:11 PM
It's the 50th Anniversary. Sell them in the club store for crying out loud unless they are high cost. Challenge coins can be made in Korea for about $3000 for several hundred once the master mold is completed.

hojecki@optonline.net
03-17-2014, 12:46 PM
I would probably order the coin, but like others it would depend on the price point.

dirtyredd88@yahoo.com
03-17-2014, 01:09 PM
Price point is always a factor; but, as long as the price is reasonable, I'd definitely like to have one.

jrdatripod@yahoo.com
03-17-2014, 01:16 PM
I like the limit on them. I think you should go back to limiting the con sets also

Matthew.stoops@wmich.edu
03-17-2014, 01:54 PM
Un-cap this thing, but if the nuber of orders is and odd total, round it to the nearest "5" or "0" just so you can still say it was a limited run later.

brian@funpubinc.com
03-17-2014, 02:06 PM
Just to clarify, we anticipate the price to be around $130-$135. Please keep this in mind in your comments as it won't get cheaper. With world tensions, precious metals go up in price, not down very quickly.

Brian

brian@funpubinc.com
03-17-2014, 02:22 PM
Also just checked on the edge of the coin will be:

chevy02_2500hd@yahoo.com
03-17-2014, 03:04 PM
Will not be spending 130 dollars on a coin. Leave the cap where it is

cb72572@yahoo.com
03-17-2014, 03:17 PM
I want one! ��

townleys@cableone.net
03-17-2014, 04:04 PM
I would buy a coin regardless of the price

krby19@yahoo.com
03-17-2014, 04:22 PM
Yes
I think it would be a good idea to take the cap off the coins I know I would really like one. gojoe
john in sunny Fl.

MrTrent100@aol.com
03-17-2014, 04:24 PM
Exactly what is the size and weight of this coin ? Really can't gage it based on the picture. 135.00 seems rather steep , if it is the size of a quarter,not as bad if it is the same as a old style dollar coin.

michael_p_obrien@yahoo.com
03-17-2014, 07:06 PM
Uncap it. Let everyone who wants one order it for a given period of time. The only limit might be the quantity allowed for a single member to order. My 2 cents...

Matthew.stoops@wmich.edu
03-17-2014, 07:32 PM
My 2 cents...

What about the other $129.98?

gijoeguru@yahoo.com
03-17-2014, 08:02 PM
Each member purchasing an attending or non attending package should be allowed to purchase a limited qty (one per member purchasing a package). After registration closes then the no more could be purchased. I think this would be fare and still make the coin rather exclusive and collectable. If the coin was limited to 200 units and there were 500 members ordering convention packages I don't see how this would or could be fare to all joecon package purchasing members. We already have first day sign up exclusives so I don't think that this should be a first day exclusive either... Just my two bits....

rent1374@hotmail.com
03-17-2014, 08:28 PM
I want one remove the cap

sean.huxter@verizon.net
03-18-2014, 04:49 AM
Brian I think you should, if you can, make sure anyone going who wants one gets one. Time-sensitive things, whether they be the first 50 or first 100 to do something online can be drastically unfair because we are not all at our computers at the right time. I can go to work, come home, and already be out of luck because so many people signed up while I was working. (As an example.)

I'm going. I want one of the coins. I don't want it to be a crap shoot, and I don't want to be stressed out over it.

With registration software still not up, it's going to be harder to find out how many to make, I guess, but definitely make sure all registrants who want one have the option to get one.

That's my vote.

Sean.

fostereben@gmail.com
03-18-2014, 06:27 AM
At a price point at $130+ for a coin value of maybe $50 dollars there better be a limit of 200 or 250 at the most. If club makes 400 or and keeps it at the same price value of item goes down and not as rare or exclusive. So two options keep at 200 and at $130 you get a very nice rare peice of 50th anniversary Joe Con history, or make 400 and make it easier for people to get and drop the price at least half so about $65 a coin.

mark.brockman@outlook.com
03-18-2014, 10:00 AM
At $130 - $135 a coin I have zero interest. I collect GI Joe action figures, not coins.

brian@funpubinc.com
03-18-2014, 10:07 AM
Also just checked on the edge of the coin will be:

It will say .999 Fine Silver.

brian@funpubinc.com
03-18-2014, 10:09 AM
Also 1 oz silver with gold plate. I don't have the exact size but it's similar to a half dollar

fostereben@gmail.com
03-18-2014, 03:29 PM
this is the current price of silver. So at $130 a coin these better be 6 ounce coins.

http://finance.yahoo.com/echarts?s=SIK14.CMX+Interactive#symbol=SIK14.CMX;r ange=1d

cardensb@hotmail.com
03-18-2014, 08:41 PM
this is the current price of silver. So at $130 a coin these better be 6 ounce coins.

http://finance.yahoo.com/echarts?s=SIK14.CMX+Interactive#symbol=SIK14.CMX;r ange=1d
You are not factoring in the cost to develop the mold, shipping, insurance for the package, mark-up, etc...

manolive@hotmail.com
03-18-2014, 09:34 PM
Brian I think you should, if you can, make sure anyone going who wants one gets one. Time-sensitive things, whether they be the first 50 or first 100 to do something online can be drastically unfair because we are not all at our computers at the right time. I can go to work, come home, and already be out of luck because so many people signed up while I was working. (As an example.)

With registration software still not up, it's going to be harder to find out how many to make, I guess, but definitely make sure all registrants who want one have the option to get one.

Sean.

At $130 I'm not going to get one. I WANT one, but it just isn't going to happen right now. But I think Sean said it best. I'm a delivery driver. I'm not even around a computer with access to club sites until I get home(on a good day 5pm, on a bad day 7pm). With, I'm guessing on numbers here, about 1000-1200 people that register and only 200 coins available, you're looking at pissing off a lot of people. I say leave it open as long as registration is open then close it.

Next question for you Brian is, Will it be in conjunction with registration? Or something separate? Like, will it be an add on during the registration process?

For some of the other comments I've seen,

G.I.Spawn "I like the limit on them. I think you should go back to limiting the con sets also " The con sets are limited. The only one that wasn't was the Oktober Guard set that got a second run.

Everyone that's afraid the collectibility of the coin will go down with a higher production number I would refer you to gijoe63's comment " I collect GI Joe action figures, not coins." Honestly, the value will probably not change at all. Figures, vehicles and accessories can go for crazy prices. But most of the other stuff just isn't as collectible. If it is limited then it might go up for that first month as all the other 200 people that wanted it try to get a hold on the 100 that people are reselling cause they didn't really want it, they just wanted to make money off of it. But if everyone gets a chance at it then you weed out the people that are only trying to make money off of the Clubs efforts because they had a faster computer. It brings me back to a question I have to ask all the time when Joe Futures is brought up.

Are you collecting it cause you think it's cool and you want to have it?
Or
Are you collecting it to sell to someone else and make some money?

Which translates to Brian and the Club as:
Are you making things for fans and members to enjoy?
Or
Are you making things for resellers to make money off of?

nx-74205@hotmail.com
03-19-2014, 04:52 AM
I know I want one. Budget is tight, but we all make choices. And admittedly if it's limited to only 200, I'm almost guaranteed to miss it since using the web at work is normally prohibited for professional and safety reasons.

Open it up to orders for/during registration period. This coin is a beautiful labor of love honoring our favorite brand, and should be available to be enjoyed by all members of the Club if they so choose.

Whichever decision is made, my compliments to the team that designed the coin. I find it aesthetically pleasing and very appealing to the historian in me. Mahalo Team! Bravo Zulu!

blubrd87@yahoo.com
03-19-2014, 09:29 AM
I say if they are increasing the run, lower the price. Unit per cost goes down as qty increases. I don't see the club doing this, that would be logical and ethical. Also, please no more second runs of anything including these coins. Just remember folks, you can't resell the night boomer or OG vehicles for what you paid for them. Keep this mind folks when you buy these coins. I want two. One for me and one for my brother.

Just don't go crazy ordering these if you think you'll resell them for a mint, I don't see that happening.

zoatlord@aol.com
03-20-2014, 09:18 AM
I have no problem with price of the coin. I'll get it . I talk to buddy of mine and he getting it to. He told me that he got a StarWar silver coin for about $75.00 at 5 or 6 years ago.

Xavieur@aol.com
03-20-2014, 01:44 PM
Unfortunately, having contracted with mints before myself, unless you are paying a HUGE license fee for the coin option, it appears to be a money-grabbing scheme since silver coins, after bullion costs, rarely reach this level even in low runs.

Keep in mind folks that most mints have set "minimum" runs...